London SE1 community website

Warm, Dry & Safe Major Works / Refurbishment Nelson Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 29 July 2014 11.12am
Thanks hhrca

No - I am not saying the tender has elapsed. As you correctly point out, it was awarded to J W Murphy within the specified time period.

What I am saying is that I have been told the price quoted for the agreed specification within the tender is no longer applicable due to the delay to this work (and probably for other reasons not disclosed as well).

Therefore it is the intention of the council to "re-specify" the spec to attempt to bring the work back within budget.

Whether this means the tender needs to return to the market to get competitive quotes and/or new s20 consultation notices sent, I am not sure yet, but what is clear is leaseholders are at a loss, both financially and due to further delays in the actual work being done.
Tuesday 29 July 2014 11.55am
That cannot be.
It's a fixed price tender award.
Oddly, on online page says:
"Axis Europe Plc in the sum of 3,128,340."
But the report says J.Murphys 2,785,672.
As a member of the public I don't understand it.
I've archived the webpages.

These changes must be variations.

Leaseholders should seek advice e.g. from http://www.lease-advice.org/

We had so many changes that peeps lost track of them! And we ended up with a 220,000 floor that melts at 50oC and cannot be steamed cleaned! One type switched for another etc. Shuffle shuffle, pick a card.

Be very careful.
TTT
Wednesday 30 July 2014 12.06pm
Hi all,

unfortunately I was not able to go to the meet the contractor event myself, but my neighbour relays that:
- works on Helen Gladstone will start in August
- works on Vaughan House will start in October - March 2015 (eg throughout the cold period).

If this information is true, we are already starting with a three months delay.

I've robed in Adama Mansaray, the housing officer for Vaughan House, ([email protected] - 020 7525 2858) as well to see if there is an official update, but she did not know any more details about that subject so far.
TTT
Monday 4 August 2014 12.19pm
We had a flyer from J Murphy through the door on Saturday.
No actual information, but printed in colour!

However, it did have contact details for the Resident Liaison Officer:
Fahima Khatun-Monnan
[email protected]

Hope that helps someone.
Tuesday 5 August 2014 10.37am
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!
Interestingly the only response I've had to my registered letter (which was received by the Council over a week ago) is a form email saying that my "complaint" will be responded too... And of course it was not a complaint but a critical comment and a request for further information. Earlier today I have seen the Council liaison lady around Vaughan House with (perhaps?) 2 blokes who might be from Murphy's.
Ruth
Tuesday 5 August 2014 12.40pm
Ruth, just to be pedantic - a expression of dissatisfaction is considered a complaint. There has been quite a lot of trouble with complaints. The issue of "Stage 1" complaints was discussed at the last Performance Review Group meeting and Stage 1 complaints should be welcomed as an opportunity to get the info in and do things better. The Iceland supermarket approach. So hopefully a Officer will handle your "complaint" and get back to you soon.

If works are starting this Summer or Autumn that you all need to ask about your Residents Project Team, get to a meeting and find out the scope and specification of works. Then check through for any sillies and stupids. Keep a close watch for variations and changes.

E.g. for mould -
Emulsion paint - will you use anti mould bathroom paint in the bathroom?
Tile grout - will you use anti mould grout?
Sealant in kithen / bathroom repairs - anti mould?

Take lots and lots of photographs and videos of the works and anything you think might be wrong.
Be "resident inspectors" as Southwark Labour call them.

And so on...

John Kennedy House has been charge an average 50 PER HOUR for Southwark's "management" so only accept a standard of service that matches the rate their charging!
TTT
Sunday 10 August 2014 7.30pm
I thought it might be a good idea to make the documents available that have been going back and forth with regards to the Major Works.
Unfortunately, it's not possible to attach anything in this forum.
Does somebody have a suggestion for a place?
Thursday 21 August 2014 7.24pm
TTT, just be a little careful because Major Works type docs can contain personal data etc that should not be released publically. And resident project teams and other resident meetings are kind of private so the Council may provide information that it would not provide to the public. If any doubt check with the Council. If the Council think that stuff is gonna be made public then they might clam up even more and everything will be shunted through the Information Officer and redacted etc which wastes time and money. Using the Information Officer is a last resort for us.
TTT
Tuesday 18 November 2014 1.32pm
A new issue arose today: Southwark expects leaseholders to remove security bars from the new windows (the new windows open out, so you cannot open them if you have bars).

As this clip suggests, breaking through double-glazing takes no longer than breaking through old windows.
In other words, the reason to have security bars (i.e. to prevent a break-in) is as valid with the new windows as it was with the old ones.

Did anybody have any success in the past getting inward opening windows, so the security bars can stay in place?

Thanks!
Tuesday 18 November 2014 7.04pm
At least in Rowland Hill House all security bars had to be removed and they would not even discuss having inward opening windows even where it would have been sensible, like on the landing.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions