London SE1 community website

Warm, Dry & Safe Major Works / Refurbishment Nelson Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Tuesday 18 November 2014 10.31pm
I'm confused. Most windows open outwards. Some open inwards at the top and these are a pain in the neck because they interfere with the top of curtains and blinds.
Wednesday 19 November 2014 12.15am
Karen I wrote:
I'm confused. Most windows open outwards. Some open inwards at the top and these are a pain in the neck because they interfere with the top of curtains and blinds.

Oh my, I seem to be the one confused here! Of course the (new) windows on the communal landings/balconies open inwards, and indeed mess with the blinds etc.

But still, the security bars had to be removed, not sure if anyone could put theirs back after.
Wednesday 19 November 2014 6.58am
Myself I would try to insist (!) that Southwark pay for the bars, or new bars, to be put back!! Write to the head of the Major Works team (recorded delivery) and then forward a copy of the letter to Southwark Complaints and see if they can help?
TTT
Wednesday 19 November 2014 12.38pm
Thanks for your replies. Just to confirm, this is not about:
- the security bars themselves (or who pays for them etc).
- the benefits of a window opening one way or another.

This is only about the design of the windows themselves:

As can be seen in the pilot in Flat 2 Vaughan House, the new windows are deeper than the old ones.
With security bars installed, it will be impossible to open outward opening windows at all.
I would like to see a design similar to the kitchen windows, which open inwards (and thus do not interfere with the security bars).

I see some people mention inward opening windows were installed where they face the communal landing. This is not the case in Vaughan House. Where exactly are those windows?
I would like to check if I can use them for reference.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions