London SE1 community website

20 mph speed limit not for Bikes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Saturday 26 July 2014 7.38am
johnnytee wrote:
callan, what a load of steaming crap you talk. have a look at the accident statistics and come back when you have an informed opinion and not just prejudices.

With the exception of this report on statistics, I could find little evidence. The following paragraph perhaps sums up the report

"While cars kill five times more pedestrians than bicycles, a rather different picture emerges when "serious injuries are measured as a proportion of distance travelled", the paper says. Cyclists injured 21 pedestrians per billion km travelled in 2012 compared with 24 pedestrians injured by drivers."

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/57065/cyclists-almost-likely-injure-pedestrians-cars#ixzz38YeOXize
Saturday 26 July 2014 8.42am
johnnytee wrote:
callan, what a load of steaming crap you talk. have a look at the accident statistics and come back when you have an informed opinion and not just prejudices.

Fantastic community spirit. Very constructive.
Zoe
Saturday 26 July 2014 10.52am
I am always surprised by how resistant people are to the idea that most car drivers are behaving illegally on most journeys. Since I got caught speeding I have been really careful about my speed (that speed course takes all the fun out of speeding) and it's become really clear to me that almost all car drivers are speeding most of the time.

Twenty zones have the worst speeding, but most people are going at about 35 mph in thirty zones. I find that my dogged refusal to go above thirty means I fall way behind the car in front and get beeps from those behind me.

We are all just so used to it we don't see it.
Saturday 26 July 2014 11.23am
Zoe wrote:
I am always surprised by how resistant people are to the idea that most car drivers are behaving illegally on most journeys. Since I got caught speeding I have been really careful about my speed (that speed course takes all the fun out of speeding) and it's become really clear to me that almost all car drivers are speeding most of the time.
Twenty zones have the worst speeding, but most people are going at about 35 mph in thirty zones. I find that my dogged refusal to go above thirty means I fall way behind the car in front and get beeps from those behind me.

We are all just so used to it we don't see it.

That's exactly how I see it.
Saturday 26 July 2014 2.10pm
There's a road in Wandsworth, I think Nightingale Lane, that is quite long and has (in my experience) an unusual amount of speedbumps (or used to have, I think they may have changed that. One day I was walking along it on my way from Clapham South station to Wandsworth Common when we were overtaken by a battered 1990's japanese sportscar, whose driver would slowly go over a speedbump, speed up (well, trying to, the tired old engine just revved up a lot) and "speed" to the next speedbump. It was somehow comedic. He might have reached 20 by the time he got to the next speedbump. Thsi has no relevance to the topic at all, it was just something that amused us on a Sunday afternoon, but I guess you had to be there.
Saturday 26 July 2014 6.37pm
[/i]'When you been driving for a few years you get a feel for how fast you're going. If I don't, for whatever reason, the missus does and will say something.'[i]

I will be installing a 'missus' on my hanlebars. I trust others will follow in adopting this usefull service!
Sunday 27 July 2014 12.36am
Tolstoy wrote:
[/i]'When you been driving for a few years you get a feel for how fast you're going. If I don't, for whatever reason, the missus does and will say something.'[i]
I will be installing a 'missus' on my hanlebars. I trust others will follow in adopting this usefull service!

Doesn't work on a bike, unless you have a tandem (apologies for failing to explain that)...

...or you're lucky enough to be married to Conchita...
Sunday 27 July 2014 2.27pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
johnnytee wrote:

Fantastic community spirit. Very constructive.

I have had little community spirit from you, and have little back, my stasi-minded friend.
Sunday 27 July 2014 2.35pm
[quote marcusm][quote johnnytee]callan, what a load of steaming crap you talk. have a look at the accident statistics and come back when you have an informed opinion and not just prejudices.[/quote]

With the exception of this report on statistics, I could find little evidence. The following paragraph perhaps sums up the report

"While cars kill five times more pedestrians than bicycles, a rather different picture emerges when "serious injuries are measured as a proportion of distance travelled", the paper says. Cyclists injured 21 pedestrians per billion km travelled in 2012 compared with 24 pedestrians injured by drivers."

Ta for that.

Well, it is difficult to compare different types of vehicle - accidents per billion km travelled gives a different figure than accidents per trip, or accidents per hour. Obviously pedestrians, cycles, motorcycles and cars travel at vastly different speeds and different distances. This is why air travel appears to be the safest way to travel - because every hour they cover 500 miles without an accident so per billion km it is safe. Per trip it looks different (the4 most unsafe according to some figures i have seen).

I'd like to read where the Times got their info from, I suspect some cherrypicking went on.
Sunday 27 July 2014 2.40pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Johnnytee, I've been to all three of the countries you cite with approval. In the case of the Netherlands, yes, they have much better infrastructure but their cycling "style" is aggressive and with no regard to other road users. I've been there many, many times and have cycled - and driven - extensively throughout the country, not just Amsterdam. We need to be careful.
"How could it be?" Well, how about a cyclist hurtling towards you - on a pavement - and blindly ringing their bell and just continuing in your direction, ignorantly believing that you must move just because they have rung their bell.

I do think Netherlands is a paradise transport wise compared to London. People in their 70's cycling in safety -OAPS dying of old age on their bikes is now not uncommon I hear. Less obesity. Far safer roads than here. Friends riding to hospital while heavily pregnant for check ups. 80% of primary school kids going by bike unaccompanied...of course your experience may differ to mine but again, I'd rather be hit by a bike than a car (e.g. london) if an accident does happen.

On the 2nd point why would a bike in the N's be on the pavement? I'm not doubting it happened if you say so, but a bike would be on a heavily traffic calmed road or a seperate cycle route - there is almost no need for them to be on the paths.

Back to the main thread point, it is illegal/ unenforceable to have a 20mph limit apply to cycles, discriminatory when only 1%? of cyclists can maintain that speed, and is unnecessary - if a cyclist hits a pedestrian injuring them then prosecute them for dangerous behaviour (what they *have* done, not what they *might* do).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions