London SE1 community website

Planning for people who live in Southwark now

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Tuesday 2 September 2014 7.29am
Council housing as such seems to have been put on the backburner in all areas of London, probably because no council has the money to buy sites or build unless it's in conjunction with the major developers who have all the cash. So planning is given to mega developments with a percentage of "affordable housing" which is rarely the statutory amount for reasons that are "commercially sensitive". It remains to be seen what that percentage will be in the new Heygate Estate...watch this space as it becomes expensive flats with two or three council dwellings on the noisier locations.
Tuesday 2 September 2014 8.03am
What does "local working people" mean?
Does it mean working people living locally, working people working locally, working people living and working locally, working people living locally and commuting a long way to their work?
And do the "local working people" have to meet a means test to qualify for council housing?
Tuesday 2 September 2014 4.14pm
Floodplain, where are you from?
Tuesday 2 September 2014 6.02pm
Bunhouse: 'Local Working People' means giving priority to allocating Council Housing to people who are in work, and who can demonstrate established links to the local area i.e. having lived for several years in the area or having close relatives in the area. The other groups I would prioritise would be the retired, the disabled, registered carers and former members of the UK Armed Services. There would be no means testing. Hope this has cleared up any confusion.

Why do I propose this?

Because It is grossly unfair that local working people who have been on Council House waiting lists for years, who pay tax to support the whole Council Housing edifice and who have a real stake in the area in which they live, are pushed down the list by recently arrived jobless families on benefits with large numbers of children.

BunHouse, who would you prioritise for Council Housing? I trust we can agree that there's not enough of it for everyone, so tough choices need to me made.

So what would you do?

Boroughonian: The purpose of Debate is to establish a proposition which can then be challenged and interrogated. You only undermine the credibility of your own position by going down the road of personal denigration.
Tuesday 2 September 2014 6.15pm
I think it was a very good suggestion to return to the more informative purpose of this thread.
Tuesday 2 September 2014 10.55pm
Karen I wrote:
I think it was a very good suggestion to return to the more informative purpose of this thread.

Hear hear Karen.

I engaged in this thread previously because it had a really useful discussion going on about 'Planning for people who live in Southwark now'. But it has now departed completely from the theme it began with.

Three forum members have now asked that this thread return to its original theme, but no-one seems to be listening.

There's simple solution: the council housing discussion could be taken forward on the separate thread that is specifically about council housing.

Perhaps the forum moderator could facilitate this by transferring the council house posts to the council house thread? We as forum members could then choose to follow one or both threads, and no-one would miss out on any information.
Saturday 6 September 2014 7.29pm
"Boroughonian: The purpose of Debate is to establish a proposition which can then be challenged and interrogated. You only undermine the credibility of your own position by going down the road of personal denigration."

Why would it be personal denigration? I want to know where your from, your choice whether or not you tell us, of course, but I suspect from your reluctance to do so, that you realise that it might just denigrate your position.
Further, I have attempted to engage in this debate, but every time I do I am accused of "misrepresenting" and "sensationalising". I simply pose questions to you RE: your proposals, and generally get nothing back other than accusations that I am simplifying things.
Granted, it is a simple question that I ask, that you refuse to answer, hey ho.

Bumbly and Co, I have just retrieved this thread from page 2, to further de rail it ;)
Saturday 6 September 2014 7.48pm
Floodplain wrote:
Bunhouse: 'Local Working People' means giving priority to allocating Council Housing to people who are in work, and who can demonstrate established links to the local area i.e. having lived for several years in the area or having close relatives in the area. The other groups I would prioritise would be the retired, the disabled, registered carers and former members of the UK Armed Services. There would be no means testing. Hope this has cleared up any confusion.
Why do I propose this?

Because It is grossly unfair that local working people who have been on Council House waiting lists for years, who pay tax to support the whole Council Housing edifice and who have a real stake in the area in which they live, are pushed down the list by recently arrived jobless families on benefits with large numbers of children.

BunHouse, who would you prioritise for Council Housing? I trust we can agree that there's not enough of it for everyone, so tough choices need to me made.

So what would you do?

Boroughonian: The purpose of Debate is to establish a proposition which can then be challenged and interrogated. You only undermine the credibility of your own position by going down the road of personal denigration.

Now your just moving the goalposts, or should I say endzone ;)

Earlier on this thread you have asked how it would be possible to explain to commuters that they cannot have a place in central London when the "feckless and workshy" can.
If I might say, you are bordering trolling.

PS: and when you say "recently arrived" do you mean into the country?
Thursday 11 September 2014 10.51am
Wanting to get this thread back on topic, in partiular the planning for PEOPLE who live in Southwark, in particular the people who have made this place their home for many years. I include myself here.
A friend sent me this film which looks at the human cost of the planning process.
I would be interested in other people's views. I found it very moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oggOLZW0D7o&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Thursday 18 September 2014 8.40am
Southwark, Peter John. Lend Lease, Heygate.
Yes, we are in the news again.
A fine article here on things that may be familiar, and things that have got to change if we don't want our borough and our city to be wrecked by greed.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/sep/17/truth-property-developers-builders-exploit-planning-cities
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions