London SE1 community website

Planning for people who live in Southwark now

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8
Friday 19 September 2014 5.14pm
Centre for London have come up with this report which may help clarify who "local working people" might be.
Available as a download from their website.

Hollow Promise
15th September 2014
How London fails people on modest incomes and what should be done about it

This report focuses on Londonís modest earners Ė those earning below average, but not so little than they are entitled to benefits. Across the city
about 1 in 5 households fall into this category. London depends on these people Ė they work hard in essential jobs. Yet with wages flatlining and costs spiralling, they are finding the capital an increasingly difficult place in which to live. Continuing to ignore their needs could have severe consequences for Londonís politics and future.

Drawing on a series of interviews with ordinary Londoners and a new synthesis of quantitative evidence, Hollow Promise offers a rich picture of the pressures facing Londonís modest, hard-working families, and sets out a series of ideas that could help make life easier for them.

This publication has been generously supported by Circle Housing Group, Argent LLP, Grosvenor, London Borough of Ealing and London Borough of Haringey.
Friday 19 September 2014 8.01pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Southwark, Peter John. Lend Lease, Heygate.
Yes, we are in the news again.
A fine article here on things that may be familiar, and things that have got to change if we don't want our borough and our city to be wrecked by greed.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/sep/17/truth-property-developers-builders-exploit-planning-cities

JazzyQ many thanks for posting this link - an incredibly powerful report that has been given substantial broadsheet coverage. I am feeling inspired to get in touch with this journalist (I have tried contacting a few different ones about various aspects of planning on occasions but haven't managed to get any response as yet).
Your post has encouraged me to engage in this thread now in terms of keeping the discussion going about planning for people who live in Southwark now.

I will share this link with my contacts.
Tuesday 23 September 2014 3.36pm
Came across this article just now, and there are many parallels with what is happening in Southwark, and indeed all over London.
The comments are interesting too.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/23/real-politics-empty-london-housing-estate?commentpage=1
Saturday 18 October 2014 7.45pm
This thread has gone rather quiet lately but there is actually tons happening regarding the topic of planning for people who live in Southwark now.

More and more journalists and commentators are writing major articles about the "cosy" relationships between Southwark Council and developers and I am going to make a list of them all and circulate it so that anyone who feels the urge to write to them and swell the voices can do so.

This week saw peaceful protests at the property developers' fair Mipim UK, action that hit the national evening news . Boris Johnson didn't have the nerve to go into the building by the main entrance where the protesters were, but chose instead to sneak in through a side door.

Here's a link to a really powerful article on the Guardian Housing Network from campaigner Glyn Robbins on why Mipim UK embodies all thatís wrong with public housing policy;http://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2014/oct/14/mipim-property-developer-councils-housing-policy-planning?CMP=new_1194

And Pros did some amazing protests during th week - check out their website for the low down.
Saturday 18 October 2014 8.02pm
Radical Housing Network set up a two day conference in Russell Square too which I went along to. Very inspiring and informative.
Saturday 18 October 2014 8.27pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Radical Housing Network set up a two day conference in Russell Square too which I went along to. Very inspiring and informative.

Thanks JazzyQ, I've just followed them on Twitter to keep up with all the latest.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions