London SE1 community website

Cyclists V motorists Vpedestrians part 638

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 16
Sunday 31 August 2014 2.04am
Brendan D wrote:
EW, can I ask you a question? When you were driving your taxi, did you feel it was your responsibility to 'correct and police' irresponsible drivers??

Erm, I never was a taxi driver??
Sunday 31 August 2014 9.56am
Sorry EW, must have confused you with someone else.
Sunday 31 August 2014 11.44am
I saw something amazing yesterday. I was crossing Tower Bridge road on Tooley Street heading east. Two buses ran the red light turning right onto Tooley, also heading east. Nothing amazing there but when I crossed over I found the second bus was stopped and the driver was giving his details to a copper!!!!! It's taken only 16 years of cycling in London before I finally see a 'professional' dangerous driver get done for it. Wow.
Monday 1 September 2014 11.45am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
My complaint is that we all get tarred with the same brush, whether that's about behaviour on (or off) the road, or our attitudes.

I think that there's enough evidence on here that not everyone tars all cyclists with the same brush, however, although some cyclists agree that there a small minority of cyclists whose behaviour is wrong, in my opinion they don't really make any clear, visible, strong effort to distance/differentiate themselves from the bad eggs but instead isolate the community by indulging in some collective "poor cyclists against the rest of the world" self-victimisation. That creates the perception that instead of condemning rogue cycling, it is condoned across the cycling community. I totally agree that everybody, from BoJO to other road users, should work to make cycling safe, but cyclist can not just demand this, they have to do their bit as well. If, at the moment, people come down harder on cyclists than on others, then that may be harsh and unfair, but to large part it's up to cyclists to change that perception in order to create a level playing field. Otherwise, the pointless responding to accusations with counter accusations will never stop and the mutual hostility with all its lethal consequences will only escalate further.

Oh come on Edward, this is a ridiculous argument. To show that, lets talk about Middle East terrorism, use your statement, replace cyclists in your text with muslims and see how it looks:

I think that there's enough evidence on here that not everyone tars all muslims with the same brush, however, although some muslims agree that there a small minority of muslims whose behaviour is wrong, in my opinion they don't really make any clear, visible, strong effort to distance/differentiate themselves from the bad eggs but instead isolate the community by indulging in some collective "poor muslims against the rest of the world" self-victimisation. That creates the perception that instead of condemning terrorism, it is condoned across the muslim community. I totally agree that everybody must do their bit but muslim can not just demand this, they have to do their bit as well. If, at the moment, people come down harder on muslims than on others, then that may be harsh and unfair, but to large part it's up to muslims to change that perception in order to create a level playing field. Otherwise, the pointless responding to accusations with counter accusations will never stop and the mutual hostility with all its lethal consequences will only escalate further.

Take the point? Your argument doesn't work in this contxt, it is just silly, and neither does it work for cyclists.
Monday 1 September 2014 12.25pm
I'd say there's a fairly large section of the Muslim community (certainly in the UK) that vocally condemns the behaviour of Islamic Terrorists.
Monday 1 September 2014 12.26pm
I'd say there's a fairly large section of the Muslim community (certainly in the UK) that vocally condemns the behaviour of those that behave in a violent manner.
Monday 1 September 2014 12.38pm
johnnytee wrote:

LOL! You've completely lost it now.
Monday 1 September 2014 1.39pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
johnnytee wrote:

LOL! You've completely lost it now.

Well sometimes you have to step to the ridiculous to show an argument is flawed, but yes it probably isn't a topic of argument to get into on here ;-) we can't even agree on something non controversial like transport
Monday 1 September 2014 1.48pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Well said, EW. This debate should be about ways to move forward and make things safer for everyone.
In order to do that, I think that we all need to accept our shortcomings. No one is infallible.

Really? And you think that will solve the transport problems in London (or even SE1)? Maybe if we all join hands and sign kumbaya - & we might even get world peace too.

In case it isn't clear, that won't work.
Monday 1 September 2014 2.12pm
Jules62 wrote:
This is a good discussion thread, but we really should try to avoid it getting personal...

That is what makes it fun! A lively and knockabout debate. Certainly my main targets Ed W, Gavin and Ivanhoe all seem big and ugly enough to look after themselves. As long as no one ends up in chokey, its all good eh?

Ed W appears to be a die-hard cyclist hater.

Ivanhoe's views are a bit dreamer. Us all getting along and being polite isn't going to apply to the scummy minority within any type of road users.

Gavin is the worst for me, he is a cyclist/biker and has experienced the best of cycling on the continent, apparently. Yet he seems to still prefer the status quo here with about 1 or 2% of people cycling in London and lots of accidents. Amazing... if we changed the roads we could get that to 30% and make it mainstream, for grannies and children and not just lycra clad road warriors.

Have a nice day.
Current: 10 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions