London SE1 community website

Cyclists V motorists Vpedestrians part 638

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 16
Monday 1 September 2014 2.16pm
johnnytee wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Well said, EW. This debate should be about ways to move forward and make things safer for everyone.
In order to do that, I think that we all need to accept our shortcomings. No one is infallible.

Really? And you think that will solve the transport problems in London (or even SE1)? Maybe if we all join hands and sign kumbaya - & we might even get world peace too.

In case it isn't clear, that won't work.

Oh, I'm so sorry. Thanks for bringing your wonderful logic back to this discussion.

Of course it would be a lot more likely to lead to a solution if we all continue hating each other and fervently believing that we are each beyond reproach and that it's all the other person's fault.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 1 September 2014 2.56pm
Well, I guess it's only a matter of time before johnnytee will have solved the ME crisis, the Ukraine crisis, as well as the London roadusers conflict. Nomination for a Nobel Peace Price is due methinks.
Monday 1 September 2014 5.59pm
Guy's street wrote:
I'd say there's a fairly large section of the Muslim community (certainly in the UK) that vocally condemns the behaviour of those that behave in a violent manner.

I look forward to witnessing this large section taking to the streets to protest the appalling Sunni on Shia violence of IS in the same way they do to condemn Israel over Gaza, but so far the demos have been thin on the ground...
Monday 1 September 2014 6.44pm
Jules62 wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
I'd say there's a fairly large section of the Muslim community (certainly in the UK) that vocally condemns the behaviour of those that behave in a violent manner.

I look forward to witnessing this large section taking to the streets to protest the appalling Sunni on Shia violence of IS in the same way they do to condemn Israel over Gaza, but so far the demos have been thin on the ground...

Yes, 'cause that's just what we need - with extremist right and left wingers and militant muslims already confronting each other on the streets of Britain, we need, moderate muslims to chip in and stir stuff up even more. Now, if the likes of EDL, Britain First, whatever the far left call themselves these days and moderate muslims (Quilliam?) could join forces and as a united front take a collective stance against radicalists (who have nothing to do with Islam any way) THEN it'd be constructive. As things stand now, it would be just a disaster waiting to happen that serves no one, apart from the hate and violence mongering extremists.
Monday 1 September 2014 6.51pm
Wonder what this guy thinks of the direction this thread is taking :
Monday 1 September 2014 7.22pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
Guy's street wrote:

Yes, 'cause that's just what we need - with extremist right and left wingers and militant muslims already confronting each other on the streets of Britain, we need, moderate muslims to chip in and stir stuff up even more. Now, if the likes of EDL, Britain First, whatever the far left call themselves these days and moderate muslims (Quilliam?) could join forces and as a united front take a collective stance against radicalists (who have nothing to do with Islam any way) THEN it'd be constructive. As things stand now, it would be just a disaster waiting to happen that serves no one, apart from the hate and violence mongering extremists.

I get it: it's safer for British Muslims to hold demonstrations against Israel (many feeling free to express ill concealed anti-semitic views) than it is for them to demonstrate against IS' slaughter of Muslims in the Middle East.

But let's get this thread back on track: my comments were only made in response to this post:

Guy's street wrote:

I think this venue is for discussing the South East, not the Middle East.

Let us return to the topic of bicycles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0V0_1MS0Q
Monday 1 September 2014 7.40pm
Jules62 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0V0_1MS0Q

It's a bit too late for that.... You, responding to Guy's Street started the ball rolling and now you want out? I only felt compelled to respond because of your post. If you wanted return to the topic, you shouldn't have made your "it's safer for British Muslims to hold demonstrations against Israel" comment, which is bound to cause reactions. It is purely for the sake of not wanting to give johnnytee the satisfaction of having stirred the brown stuff, which appears to be all he wants.
Monday 1 September 2014 8.06pm
johnnytee wrote:
Oh come on Edward, this is a ridiculous argument. To show that, lets talk about Middle East terrorism...

Johnnytee, whilst your point was valid, the example you chose to illustrate it was horrendously inappropriate.

eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
It's a bit too late for that...

But not too late I hope for those who want to kick that argument around to take it to a different thread in a different forum, since it's clearly not an "SE1 discussion" and has nowt to do with the topic at hand.

Please?
Monday 1 September 2014 8.17pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:

But not too late I hope for those who want to kick that argument around to take it to a different thread in a different forum, since it's clearly not an "SE1 discussion" and has nowt to do with the topic at hand.

Please?

Sorry, I didn't finish my previous post. What I meant to say was :

It is purely for the sake of not wanting to give johnnytee the satisfaction of having stirred the brown stuff, which appears to be all he wants, that I won't respond.

A separate thread on Islam, that's down to James I guess, they usually and depressingly predictably turn very nasty without contributing anything to the issue itself.
Monday 1 September 2014 9.30pm
Right: I'm out of this thread, for good.
Current: 11 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions