London SE1 community website

Cyclists V motorists Vpedestrians part 638

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 16
Zoe
Tuesday 2 September 2014 9.53am
I hadn't looked at this thread for a few days, am quite impressed at the wide nature of the discussion.
Sunday 7 September 2014 8.16am
Sunday 7 September 2014 8.35am
From what I've seen, that Is truly disgusting and completely uncalled for. I'm assuming it was over the cyclists riding abreast, but hardly proportionate to pull over and assault them. Hope the assailants are brought to account and that no one is seriously hurt.
Sunday 7 September 2014 9.11am
Gavin Smith wrote:
I'm assuming it was over the cyclists riding abreast
Which is legal.
Sunday 7 September 2014 9.57am
It is, though it is strongly advised against. The language in rule 66 of the Highway Code is "You should" as opposed "You must". I was speculating as to why it occurred rather than attributing blame.
Sunday 7 September 2014 10.05am
Gavin Smith wrote:
I was speculating as to why it occurred rather than attributing blame.

No I know you were. I actually think cycling two abreast is stupid, but it's amazing how many drivers don't know the law.
Monday 8 September 2014 7.58am
Gavin Smith wrote:
It is, though it is strongly advised against. The language in rule 66 of the Highway Code is "You should" as opposed "You must". I was speculating as to why it occurred rather than attributing blame.

The Highway Code actually says you should never ride MORE than two abreast. So it is advised that two is the maximum, and more than that is advised against. But again, not illegal to ride, three, four or five abreast if the circumstances allow.
Monday 8 September 2014 8.11am
I'm surprised none of the cyclists took the ignition keys, the driver was away from the car for long enough. One could have taken the keys, rode to a safe distance, and called the police.
Monday 8 September 2014 3.31pm
Unfortunately being in the right is not always a defence against thugs, I wouldn't have walked towards the car in that manner and it seems the group were strongly advising against it. Of course, I hope the thugs get caught and punished and I would be amazed if they didn't get the registration, only a matter of time.
Monday 8 September 2014 4.04pm
My reaction would either have been to persuade/prevent my mate to confront the thugs, or, alternatively, to collectively back him up. I think it was the dithering by the fellow cyclists that encouraged these coward wannabe thugs to attack in the first place.
Current: 12 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions