London SE1 community website

Cyclists V motorists Vpedestrians part 638

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16
Wednesday 6 August 2014 11.33pm
No not starting that debate again.... there's good and bad...

I'm shocked by Chris Tandy's death on LB. I cycle that route regularly and can't for the life of me see how a cyclist could 'clip' the central reservation. There's no reason to unless he was forced to avoid something. There is MUCH more to this than meets the eye in my view.... Awful for the driver as well, who was apparently in deep shock.
Wednesday 6 August 2014 11.55pm
Brendan D wrote:
No not starting that debate again....here is MUCH more to this than meets the eye in my view....

Especially not by starting unsubstantiated hypotheses about a tragedy. Have some respect.
Thursday 7 August 2014 12.56am
I'm a pedestrian, a driver and a cyclist and I too have seen some right aggressive idiots on all sides.

Once I was walking up Tower Bridge Road towards the bridge I saw two male lycra'd and lidded cyclists jump the lights and very nearly go smack bang into the side of a perfectly legitimate bus proceeding correctly. Frankly I'd have laughed if they'd hit it they were so irresponsible.

While walking on the pavements in Southwark I've been hit and then sworn at by cyclists coming up behind me riding on pavements.

Many times I've been driving down the Old Kent Rd coming off the roundabout at Elephant and pedestrians just walk across with earphones in or on their phones and without looking. Actually this happens everywhere. Tower Bridge is bad for this too.

Many times I've been cycling quite correctly and had a car door opened without by someone who hasn't looked right in front of me, which I always allow for which is why I haven't come off - yet~ or a pedestrian walk out without looking, or another cyclist swerve across in front nearly knocking me off. Not a cycle journey goes past without at least one of these things.

A friend was recently physically pushed off his bike deliberately by another cyclist overtaking him.

If I start listing the stupid things car and bus drivers often do I'll be here all night.

But as a cyclist who uses London Bridge I would be very keen to know what happened to that guy so I can look out for the issue.
London Bridge has always seemed fairly safe to me.

The road surfaces are really, really bad round here which makes it harder for cyclists to look out for potential vehicle issues when you are focused on not falling into the next pothole, especially on Tower Bridge which has the most terrible surface, but how did the poor guy hit the central reservation on London Bridge and fall off?

And can EVERYONE just read the HIGHWAY CODE and damn well use it?
Thursday 7 August 2014 7.13am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Brendan D wrote:
No not starting that debate again....here is MUCH more to this than meets the eye in my view....

Especially not by starting unsubstantiated hypotheses about a tragedy. Have some respect.

I simply don't get your point? Like Davies, I simply want to know how this happened. Regular cyclists see these reports and think - 'that could happen to me' - so we want information.
Thursday 7 August 2014 8.15am
I saw a new one last night yet to be categorised.

I was taking the bus home, and as it turned along Grange Road (from TBR), I noticed someone in the road in front of us. It was quite dark (about 21:30), and he/she was dressed all in black, roller-blading down the road.

This person was keeping pace with the flow of traffic, but was weaving all over the road (both lanes of traffic), dressed all in black, no lights, no hi-vis, nothing that would make them obvious to traffic or people crossing the road.

Whoever it was they were clearly attention seeking but it really wound me up.

On the above London Bridge accident - I too can't understand how someone would end up in a position to clip the central reservation there - perhaps traffic in the north-bound lane was slow and he was overtaking on the right-hand side? Tragic, however it happened.
Thursday 7 August 2014 9.09am
E W has already made the point that we do not know the whys and wherefores of the cyclist's death on London Bridge so please stop trying to analyse it and theorising.
Sympathise as I do with the family and friends of the cyclist but don't start, unintentionally, Chinese whispers.
The inquest will reveal the truth.
Friday 8 August 2014 12.38pm
Just crossing the Boulevard de Beaux Freres de Pinot Noir (or Blackfriars Road) from Colombo Street into Burrell Street and astonished to see a cyclist on a Boris bike going fast southbound along the pavement, no helmet, no regard for the safety of pedestrians.
This is not the first time, but she was going too fast for me to politely ask her to dismount and use the road.
Friday 8 August 2014 1.01pm
JazzyQ wrote:
astonished to see a cyclist on a Boris bike going fast

This bit alone astonishes me! Mark Cavendish would struggle to make one of those things go fast.
Friday 8 August 2014 1.48pm
I really don't want to reply to these but the cyclist haters are throwing this out of balance, anyone would think only they are bad road users, so...

Car drove the wrong way down a one way street - Bear Lane in SE1 - at speed. Came right into the kerb at the side of a road hump and screeched to a halt right in front of us.. we stopped, unsure what this c..k was trying to do.

Then he reversed backwards and turned fast into the yard where he works. I see from the website they are a silversmiths so I will email their website seeing if they condone this awful driving behaviour from their employees...
Friday 8 August 2014 1.58pm
johnnytee wrote:
I see from the website they are a silversmiths so I will email their website seeing if they condone this awful driving behaviour from their employees...

Now if only there was a way to identify ALL dangerous road users and report or name and shame them. Or is that a bit petty and cowardly, and would some do it just to spite their pet hates or make some sort of statement? I find personally confronting offenders caught in the act still works best for me. It definitely works as a deterrent, when people realise they could bump into you every day.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions