London SE1 community website

Cyclists V motorists Vpedestrians part 638

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 16
Friday 8 August 2014 1.19pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
johnnytee wrote:
I see from the website they are a silversmiths so I will email their website seeing if they condone this awful driving behaviour from their employees...

Now if only there was a way to identify ALL dangerous road users and report or name and shame them. Or is that a bit petty and cowardly, and would some do it just to spite their pet hates or make some sort of statement? I find personally confronting offenders caught in the act still works best for me. It definitely works as a deterrent, when people realise they could bump into you every day.

So you want to require Pedestrians to wear a name badge at all times?
Friday 8 August 2014 1.59pm
johnnytee wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
johnnytee wrote:
I see from the website they are a silversmiths so I will email their website seeing if they condone this awful driving behaviour from their employees...

Now if only there was a way to identify ALL dangerous road users and report or name and shame them. Or is that a bit petty and cowardly, and would some do it just to spite their pet hates or make some sort of statement? I find personally confronting offenders caught in the act still works best for me. It definitely works as a deterrent, when people realise they could bump into you every day.

So you want to require Pedestrians to wear a name badge at all times?

No, why would I? Is that what got from that? Oh dear.
Friday 8 August 2014 4.06pm
Do you run down the street banging on car windows of those who have slighted you in some way (not stopped at a zebra)?

Just trying to find the boundaries here, or do you only confront cyclists who are breaking the law physically? :-)
Friday 8 August 2014 4.15pm
johnnytee wrote:
Do you run down the street banging on car windows of those who have slighted you in some way (not stopped at a zebra)?
Just trying to find the boundaries here, or do you only confront cyclists who are breaking the law physically? :-)

I usually yell (I have quite a powerful voice, albeit not quite Brian Blessed level) at people who do not signal, are on their mobiles, don't stop when they should, go up one way streets etc. Why would I single out cyclists? I am interested in ALL road users taking responsibility, as I have made abundantly clear. Aren't you?
Monday 11 August 2014 3.06pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
johnnytee wrote:
Do you run down the street banging on car windows of those who have slighted you in some way (not stopped at a zebra)? Just trying to find the boundaries here, or do you only confront cyclists who are breaking the law physically? :-)

I usually yell (I have quite a powerful voice, albeit not quite Brian Blessed level) at people who do not signal, are on their mobiles, don't stop when they should, go up one way streets etc. Why would I single out cyclists? I am interested in ALL road users taking responsibility, as I have made abundantly clear. Aren't you?

Ok then I like your stance & agree - but I do think our experiences differ and I like to believe I am more educated on this subject than you ;-) Yesterday I read an article as follows:

"DFT figures reveal that between January and March this year there was a 27 per cent year-on-year increase in the number of bike riders killed or seriously injured, but it said that the reasons for the sharp jump were unclear.
Total road deaths in the year to the end of March were 1,750, a 4 per cent increase on the previous 12 months, with the number of fatalities of motorcyclists and cyclists each increasing by 7 per cent. The number of pedestrians and car occupants killed both fell by 1 per cent."

So who actually needs the protection and who does most of the injuring/killing. Motor vehicles are what we should be concerned about and 95% of problems stem from them.

Back to this thread part 701, today I haven't been nearly run over by any drivers/riders, although the bus driver did try to throw me down the aisle with his F1 accellerating/braking.
Friday 15 August 2014 3.06pm
Meanwhile, in Lower Thames Street:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln0eq9gjsbU
Zoe
Friday 15 August 2014 6.14pm
I'm always a bit confused by that bit of pavement. There are signs directing you onto the path, but no shared pavement sign. It must be a shared pavement as where else could the bike sign on the pavement be leading and of course that piece of road is otherwise horrible.

There is a piece of contra flow bike lane off Tower Bridge Road leading to Druid Street that also has no shared pavement sign but where else could it be leading (next to the Boris bikes stand).

I like to be legal and I get stressed by the unclear signage!!
Friday 15 August 2014 8.23pm
Jules62 wrote:

If that's not a sackable offence I don't know what is!
Friday 15 August 2014 10.40pm
boroughonian wrote:
Jules62 wrote:

Most definitely. What on earth made that bus driver so angry? I can't understand what their saying. Something about indicating?
Saturday 16 August 2014 9.24am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Jules62 wrote:

Most definitely. What on earth made that bus driver so angry? I can't understand what their saying. Something about indicating?

As I understand it, the cyclists rode onto the pavement here:

Immediately the bus driver begun sounding his horn (not allowed: the Highway Code clearly states the horn may only be used to make other road users know you are there, not as a means to express your anger).

The driver then decides to mount the pavement with his vehicle (one that requires an PCV licence), gets up from his seat and opens the door to berate the cyclists.

They tell him that they are allowed to share the pavement there, and that they had indicated their turn. The driver then leaves by proceeding straight when in a turn left lane.

I have read that he has now been sacked (and rightly so), but what he did was nothing short of dangerous driving and I feel that he should loose his licence in addition to his job...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions