London SE1 community website

Squatters in 16-18 Marshalsea Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Wednesday 6 August 2014 7.49pm
Watching the Sheriffs again a pub was squatted and they created a booby trap...nice people in that one...
Thursday 7 August 2014 9.23am
If you're short of money and aren't too bothered about security of tenure then squatting is not the only option. For 200 a month or so - I know a few people who've done it - you can be a property guardian. Some residential buildings, some former schools/hospitals etc, even former police stations and they always have the basic utilities working.

With that as an option it is hard to see why squatting is necessary. 200 a month is affordable even if you're only earning 400 a month, and even the most responsible squatters have tactics involving occupation, and then persuading the owner into letting them 'look after' the property in what is simply a protection racket.
Thursday 7 August 2014 11.22am
I spent some time in a squat in my late teens. I was homeless and penniless at the time, but the people who took me in, despite having little in common with them ideologically, were extremely kind. They looked after the property they lived in, they considered it their home and who soils their own nest? As a punk, I always was kind of embarrassed about the hate for hippies after that.
Saturday 9 August 2014 9.07am
How many people passing along The Cut have noticed the ugly deterioration of the derelict Algarve House just inside Joan Street, next to Southwark tube? The squatters here sure haven't been housekeeping & keeping it in apple pie order! What an eyesore.Praise be to Styles House gardens next door who detract from UT.
Saturday 9 August 2014 12.20pm
JasonSE1 wrote:
Are there squatters in the old carpet shop on the corner of Trinity and Borough High Streets?

Yes. The current residents (unlike the first squatters who were evicted) seem to be so quiet you'd hardly notice they were there.

After they lost their planning appeal, the developers sold the building and the current owners seem in no rush to do anything with it.
Saturday 9 August 2014 3.14pm
Like Edward I did my time in squats and we would never have thought to trash the places we lived in. We went out of our way to help out with diy for our neighbours since we had all the tools.

I've also done the caretaker route, though we never had to pay for the privilege. Being rent free with basic amenities sounds like a great deal but the lack of any sense of security in respect of tenure meant you were always just waiting to be moved on, though we did get to live on The Bishops Avenue in Hampstead for a year, with electronic gates swimming pool and power showers everywhere along with the seemingly standated gold taps and marble flooring; so tasteless yet a fine way to start the day with a dive into the pool. Funnily enough we gained an awful lot more friends than we were aware we had at the time.
Monday 11 August 2014 12.49pm
AntBorough wrote:
Has anyone else noticed 16 - 18 Marshalsea Road being over run with squatters. Urinating outside the building, kicking parked cars whilst intoxicated and being a general nusiance.
I have no gripe with empty buildings being used by squatters etc but their behaviour in this case is not acceptable.

It's a tricky one. There is obviously a large problem with empty buildings across London, not just SE1 - but although this is an issue in itself, the fact that we have squatters in SE1 who seem to be antisocial is very frustrating to the average rent and council-tax paying resident.

Does anyone know if anything is being done about the anti social squatters?
Monday 11 August 2014 1.03pm
A few years ago, living on Gray St SE1, we had squatters in derelict offices opposite. Rather than suffer the odd numpty creating havoc, I spoke to them. They were lovely and wanted to get on with their neighbours. A good relationship blossomed: respectful and communicative. Then the developers had them moved on. Next, the place was overun by street sleepers as the developers wouldn't provide adequate security and, unfortunately, a murder took place there. It was an appalling situation after the brief reign of the squatters.
Monday 11 August 2014 3.21pm
sl123 wrote:
AntBorough wrote:
Has anyone else noticed 16 - 18 Marshalsea Road being over run with squatters. Urinating outside the building, kicking parked cars whilst intoxicated and being a general nusiance.
I have no gripe with empty buildings being used by squatters etc but their behaviour in this case is not acceptable.

It's a tricky one. There is obviously a large problem with empty buildings across London, not just SE1 - but although this is an issue in itself, the fact that we have squatters in SE1 who seem to be antisocial is very frustrating to the average rent and council-tax paying resident.

Does anyone know if anything is being done about the anti social squatters?

perhaps you have not been lucky enough to hear the noise -- usually at the weekend (though thankfully not this past one) they play really loud music from thursday night basically straight through till sunday.

the owners know and there has been a hearing. the possesion notice was granted on 1 august, but they are waiting on bailiffs to come and sort it out for good.
Monday 11 August 2014 8.16pm
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
JasonSE1 wrote:
Are there squatters in the old carpet shop on the corner of Trinity and Borough High Streets?

Yes. The current residents (unlike the first squatters who were evicted) seem to be so quiet you'd hardly notice they were there.

After they lost their planning appeal, the developers sold the building and the current owners seem in no rush to do anything with it.

The lovely people occupying the carpet factory have been moved on. They were very quiet, and held a couple of community events while they were there. The building is now 'managed' by vantage security.
As you say TruthMonkey, the owners seem in no rush to do anything with the building... along with many other owner/developers across London, who just sit on properties until the price rises.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions