London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 52
Friday 14 November 2014 1.22am
The London Eye wasn't paid for by the taxpayer and nor is it a 'universally loved landmark'. There's no evidence to support this; for every person in the queues of PAYING tourists, there are many others avoiding it. The Eiffel Tower isn't free either.

London is indeed evolving but it doesn't have to be here, the richest part of central London for development (in terms of money) second only to the north bank. Plenty of derelict land in London that needs evolution & regeneration. The Thames is our biggest open natural resource; let's not pave over it.
Saturday 15 November 2014 12.35am
..land you won't be able to have a packed lunch on it either; no 'picnics' are allowed
Monday 17 November 2014 9.52am
Jules62 wrote:
London is a truly beautiful city, and its views of the Thames are outstanding...

so why block views of the Thames by building a bridge right between two other existing bridges?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 18 November 2014 1.41pm
seems strange that Garden Bridge Trust did not bother to consult Police on Policing Bridge or Crowd Management on South Bank.With 4 million extra visitors per year expected just hope this will not turn into another Hillsborough.Mind you they did not talk to local residents but only to Lambeth Council and a small minority who would support them
Wednesday 19 November 2014 2.46pm
Bishops Ward SNT Panel last decided to call a Pubic meeting prior to Garden Bridge Planning Application going to Lambeth Council for the 41 conditions.Hopefully this will be a joint effort with TCOS , WCDG and WAC and other interested parties
TTT
Wednesday 19 November 2014 5.36pm
Wednesday 19 November 2014 7.00pm
When will we learn the whole truth about this ill-conceived luvvie promoted business.
Yes it seems it is solely a business, a tourist attraction, a ticketed attraction with less than half a football pitch of green space and space for only 2500 people so queues and paid for tickets seem inevitable.
Still those queuing can spend their money in the retail outlets they will have to pass through to gain access to the bridge. I wonder who will collect the rents and profit from those outlets.
One of the things I find most galling is that I as a UK tax payer will pay towards this folly and again as a GLA taxpayer.
I wonder if the luvvie promoting this will donate her fees to a charity other than the Ghurkas.
I hope those misled supporters of this folly will think again, especially Lambeth's planning committee as I hope Westminster Council will see this for what it really is a commercial enterprise trying to use public funds to get off the ground.
Thursday 27 November 2014 12.07pm
- we dont need another bridge at this location
- it won't be open 24 hours a day
- it blocks views of London from other bridges
- there are no extra toilets
- construction will take 3 years
- large mature trees on the southbank will be lost
- no cyclists
- no large groups
- no picnics
- publicly funded
- entrance fee to gain access

- alredy high density of bridges in central london
- no noticeable gain for anyone using it to commute (unless living and working within about 50m either side of the bridge)
- thousands of extra tourists
- lack of extra facilities for these
- no (or little) consultation with local residents

I hope that as many people as possible write in objections to both Lewisham and Westminster councils to object to this.

[edit to add - for the avoidance of doubt]
I'm against the garden bridge in the suggested location.
Thursday 27 November 2014 6.11pm
It's Lambeth and Westminster, and I'm afraid that the planning consultation is closed. Lambeth has already met and supports the application.
Thursday 27 November 2014 11.15pm
Lambeth have granted planning permission subject to 41 conditions they do not care that there was little or no consultation with local people
Current: 11 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions