London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 52
Friday 28 November 2014 9.04am
It is not a bridge because it does not provide 24 hour access from one side to the other.
Why is that? What possible reasons are there for closing a bridge at night?
Footpads?
No, it is a commercial business that does not want the expense of paying for employees in the darkest hours of the night when, apart from young lovers,there will be no customers.
I know it is asking a lot but can OHRA identify the 41 conditions that Lambeth have imposed or point us in the direction where we can find that information.
Friday 28 November 2014 4.55pm
I have trolled through hundreds of pages of this report and have found the bit about conditions. It mentions 45 although only 41 were mentioned at committe.

The link below will take you to main document and conditons are on pages 166 to 176

http://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/documents/g8977/Public%20reports%20pack%20Tuesday%2011-Nov-2014%2019.00%20Planning%20Applications%20Committee.pdf?T=10

hoe this is useful good reading
Friday 28 November 2014 6.37pm
OHRA

Thank you for that. We must resist this with every avenue open to us. It will destroy the nature of the South bank and is, I think, driven by the ambitions of London Transport, prop Boris, who have a station,Temple, which is underused. If it was a public, non-paying, pedestrian bridge, I might support it. But not this monstrosity
Friday 28 November 2014 8.24pm
Puzzling over Lambeth Council switching off some street lighting to save money (on SE1 Twitter just now) whilst squandering what seems like a huge amount of money on a folly such as this Garden Bridge?

Please explain????
Friday 28 November 2014 8.34pm
Lambeth isn't putting any money into the Garden Bridge.

They're just the planning authority for one half of it.

The public cash for the bridge is coming from central Government (30 million) and Transport for London (30 million).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 29 November 2014 8.35am
Many thanks OHRA for supplying the link, I can see what you meant by having to troll through so many pages of the report. It does help us to identify points that we know are wrong with this plan and therefore be able to argue our case such as the nonsense of chopping down trees on the South Bank which every visitor enjoys against no gain in number of trees on the bridge with limited enjoyment for those on the bridge.
I think my brain will go numb from overload by reading what the puppets and muppets have come up with as justification.
Saturday 29 November 2014 10.22am
Thank you James for answering my query.
Sunday 30 November 2014 12.00am
James Hatts wrote:
Lambeth isn't putting any money into the Garden Bridge.
They're just the planning authority for one half of it.

The public cash for the bridge is coming from central Government (30 million) and Transport for London (30 million).

So what this basically means, is that our money will fund something that we will have to pay for again each time we want to use it...

A bridge is a bridge, no matter what we are being told: my view is that if it does go up it should be free for all to use, both as a place to visit and hang out, as well as a legitimate crossing point between South and North London.

I think that a redesign is needed: there should be a central transit area for bicycles and pedestrians who only want to cross the bridge, and along each side of this structure is where the park/garden ought to be.

Access should be free to all and bicycle parking (for both Boris Bikes as well as privately owned machines) should be based close to both ends of the bridge.
Sunday 30 November 2014 10.04am
Jules62 wrote:
our money will fund something that we will have to pay for again each time we want to use it...
There is no suggestion that there will be an admission fee to cross the bridge.

(Some critics have suggested that a fee might be introduced, but it's not actually part of the plan)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 2 December 2014 5.27pm
All

Wesminster Council will make its decision tonight (Tuesday 2 Dec) at the following address and all are welcome to attend.Start is 6.30pm, so arrive a bit earlier to get a seat.

15th floor rooms 5,6 and 7
Westminster City Council
City Hall
64 Victoria Street
London SW1E 6PQ
Current: 12 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions