London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 52
Tuesday 2 December 2014 6.16pm
Tweets from the meeting at http://twitter.com/se1

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 3 December 2014 8.16am
[quote James Hatts][quote Jules62](Some critics have suggested that a fee might be introduced, but it's not actually part of the plan)[/quote]

It will be a privately owned, gated attraction that will be expensive to maintain. How do you suggest the maintenance of it will be ultimately funded? Maybe they will plant money trees on it?
Wednesday 3 December 2014 8.38am
I do believe our precious luvvie has promised to do the gardening and horticulture whilst she is "resting", not.
Wednesday 3 December 2014 10.05am
I was at the Westminster Council meeting yesterday and was impressed with the quality of the SE1 tweets!
Wednesday 3 December 2014 10.40am
I was not able to be Westminster last night to oppose Garden Bridge but with the brilliant tweeting from SE1 felt I was there well done
Monday 9 February 2015 9.15am
Johnson talks about increasing 'footfall' (estimated as being as high as a further 7 million extra visitors per year). At risk of sounding like a NIMBY, is this a welcome development? Since the construction of Tate Modern, the experience of walking along the South Bank has increasingly come to resemble trying to leave an evacuating Tube station.

However, the Garden Bridge proposal does have the benefit of ideological consistency with high-level political and commercial strategies to make London a playground for tourists and the rich, which will of course be made far more attractive by the 'market expulsion' of us untidy proles cluttering up views of the Thames, etc.
Monday 16 February 2015 10.09pm
Hullo, any updates?

I think the bridge is in the wrong place and is killing a lot of trees which kind of defeats the object of the exercise.

Can't it be moved somewhere were it's more needed and no mature trees, which provide whole ecosystems tiny saplings can't replace for a century, even if they don't get destroyed within a few months which often happens, have to die?
Thursday 19 February 2015 11.40am
as the last comment says on the 'change' link above
Quote:
From a legal point of view there is no way this bridge can be built as a public amenity without wheelchair access.
Tuesday 24 February 2015 9.52pm
It's in the wrong place, it's going to kill a lot of mature trees to be built and you can't grow much of a garden in a wind tunnel/cliff environment.

Plus as it is a private structure no public money should be spent on it.

How about a nice footbridge/cycle bridge down past Rotherhithe tunnel where there is no cross river access at all other than the Greenwich foot tunnel, which is great but has it's limitations, and where normal people, not tourists could really use it.

It would need to be a lift or swing brige for the boats to get through but it's not like we don't have the technology for that.

Or if you don't go then and look at The Netherlands.
Current: 13 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions