London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 52
Friday 20 March 2015 2.08am
There is a fund raising link to help pay for the legal challenge: everyclick.com/tcos

There is a good chance of stopping the Garden Bridge by supporting this legal challenge. It's our only chance of saving the existing open green FREE public space otherwise it'll be FOUR years of construction and an eternity of tourists forever. Are we going to let the developers get away with stealing more from us in our own neighbourhood?

The space along Queen's Walk outside ITV has been specially designated as a open public space in its lease. THEY MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO BUILD ON IT! We can only fight it if you help here everyclick.com/tcos Thank you.
Monday 23 March 2015 4.26pm
Have passed on link to friends, family and colleagues at work.

It must not go ahead; it's an expensive vanity project - the sort of thing you'd expect an oil rich Middle Eastern King to build. How London can even consider spending millions on this given the housing crisis, rubbish collection farce and school places problem is just beyond me.
Friday 24 April 2015 12.43am
We got an 'update' leaflet in the post today. Says there's a "clear" business plan for funding maintenance and operations costs. I intend to write and ask to see it; would like to think some of you would do the same: [email protected]
Friday 24 April 2015 10.34am
The other day I noticed one of the banners encouraging public donations to a 15 million fund to complete the new Cancer Centre at Guys. I know it's a simplistic comparison to make, but contrast that with the 63 million so readily pledged to the bridge by TfL, Citi Bank and the Treasury. I imagine the bridge environment may well be lovely and views fab, but there is no well defined need for it and there will always be more deserving and valuable projects than this ego trip. Of course Boris loves it; it's a great opportunity for (more)self-publicity.
Friday 24 April 2015 10.37am
janefs wrote:
The other day I noticed one of the banners encouraging public donations to a 15 million fund to complete the new Cancer Centre at Guys. I know it's a simplistic comparison to make, but contrast that with the 63 million so readily pledged to the bridge by TfL, Citi Bank and the Treasury. I imagine the bridge environment may well be lovely and views fab, but there is no well defined need for it and there will always be more deserving and valuable projects than this ego trip. Of course Boris loves it; it's a great opportunity for (more)self-publicity.

Not at all, it's a great point!
Sunday 26 April 2015 7.19pm
Good idea Karen about asking to see the Garden Bridge Trust's clear business plan; we all need to know how they think this is going to work especially with regards to its maintenance.

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich cost 50m to build. The 175m private Garden Bridge is robbing the public of 64m+. Who is going to let this happen?

Support the judicial review to stop Boris's vanity project by making a donation here thanks: www.everyclick.com/tcos
Monday 27 April 2015 3.22pm
So just watched the ARUP vid - http://arup.com/Visualisations

Amazing how much they are spending on things like these visualisations and CG but not yet i have once seen a pic of how it will look from the actual riverbank by Gabriel's Wharf.. You'd think that might be actually useful in letting people understand it's impact especially as the vid goes on about how useful the visualisations are letting local people understand..

But strangely they don't seem to be that bothered.. LOADS of energy into everything else, but seemingly no energy into providing any other sort of images other than a nice romantic long shot (with impact on the south bank hidden behind trees) or a lovely totally empty, unpatrolled and open at night garden on the thames.

Hmmmmmmmm wonder why that is?
Sunday 3 May 2015 11.00am
"greenwash and bling" says Michael Ball.
Came across this in Observer just now

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/may/02/green-groups-condemn-glencore-involvement-in-garden-bridge
ldw
Sunday 3 May 2015 11.55am
Have signed reason: area is far too crowded already and a vanity projec, there are other areas of the river where a bridge should be placed. Also it is obvious the bridge will not be for the general population.The money should be sent to Nepal to help after the recent tradgy
Monday 18 May 2015 10.10pm
Tweets from tonight's public meeting at a glance:
https://storify.com/se1/anti-garden-bridge-public-meeting

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Current: 15 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions