London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 16 of 52
Zoe
Tuesday 19 May 2015 4.50pm
Thanks James, I am away so couldn't get to the meeting and it was great to be able to read your tweets in one page, I like this story layout.
Tuesday 19 May 2015 5.06pm
Went along to the meeting last night as I had followed this thread, but wondered if I wasjust being a miseryguts opposing this beautiful "haven of tranquillity".
Convinced now that Boris and his luvvie friends are misusing taxpayers money on a vanity project, whose only benefit seems to be the hiking of property prices and land values either side of this so called iconic "not a garden nor a bridge". From the projected visitor numbers it will be as packed as a tube train, with the only lavatory facilities being bushes in Bernie Spain Gardens or nearby Coin Street residents' bin store cupboards, usually used only at New Year.Good Luck with the judicial review Michael Ball.
Tuesday 19 May 2015 6.37pm
I wasnt able to make the meeting either but very much share the sentiment of others.

I mean it's not as if there arent even extremely valuable and useful actual gardens the money would be better spent on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31715081
Tuesday 19 May 2015 7.40pm
Neil wrote:
I wasnt able to make the meeting either but very much share the sentiment of others.
I mean it's not as if there arent even extremely valuable and useful actual gardens the money would be better spent on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31715081

I am kind of neutral on the subject of the Garden Bridge and I accept the huge opposition to it, but when I saw your post, even before clicking the link, I knew it would be about Kew Gardens and I agree that it is an extremely valuable and useful place and definitely worth spending money on to maintain it.
Sunday 24 May 2015 12.46pm
A little bit more wood for the fire here in the editorial. Luvvie Lumley and Baby Boris (is it true she used to baby sit him?) need to get a grip. The more I read about this, the more angry I feel about this complete waste of our money.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/24/observer-view-on-thames-garden-bridge
Monday 25 May 2015 11.08pm
I live close to the garden bridge and I've listened to all the arguments of the no campaign (including my neighbours) but personally I love it and hope it happens
Tuesday 26 May 2015 11.14am
I really cannot understand how anybody can really listen to all the arguments against the proposed Garden Bridge and then say they approve of it.
Please revisit the case against, thoroughly read the evidence and then come to a conclusion.
Tuesday 26 May 2015 6.36pm
Just wait until the "considerate contractors" get going. I believe they are already driving some residents mad with the drilling that has started.

Then wait for the urinating in your doorways,gardens and bin store cupboards. 7000 estimated visitors per day, if I remember,with no facilities provided close by. That is a good few gallons.
Tuesday 26 May 2015 11.29pm
The yearly upkeep of the bridge includes a 300,000 budget for 'renewals' I suppose that is to replace the plants that will get trampled on or blown away!!!!!!!
This is the estimated annual cost from the business plan:

Operation of the Garden Bridge - 800,000
Maintenance - 500,000
Inspections - 50,000
Renewals - 300,000
Utilities and services - 200,000
Trust Running Costs - 1,000,000
Allowances - 300,000
Contingency - 300,000
Total 3,500,000

1m to run the trust? Someone is on a big salary.
Wednesday 27 May 2015 9.19am
islandwall wrote:
I live close to the garden bridge and I've listened to all the arguments of the no campaign (including my neighbours) but personally I love it and hope it happens

What do you think about the promised 60MM of taxpayers money (plus the underwriting of the 3.5MM annual costs) to fund a private bridge that closes at night and for several weekends a year, Island?

Couldn't that money be better spent on the pedestrian & cyclist bridge at Rotherhithe that people have been campaigning for for years?
Current: 16 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions