London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 52
TTT
Wednesday 27 August 2014 3.16pm
Yes Ivanhoe, it's a quarter of a mile on the Southern side of the Thames, but it's much more than that on the Northern side!
Also, the fiddly walk around Aldwych and up the Kingsway is not very pedestrian friendly.
Walking through the Temple Garden and Bloomsbury, however, is.
Plus, a bridge every 10 meter works for Paris, why not for London? :D
Wednesday 27 August 2014 3.59pm
TTT wrote:
Yes Ivanhoe, it's a quarter of a mile on the Southern side of the Thames, but it's much more than that on the Northern side!
Yes, it's half a mile between the bottom of Waterloo Bridge and the bottom of Blackfriars Bridge, whereas it's a whopping 6/10ths of a mile on the Northern side.

That 0.1 mile is well worth the expense of building an extra bridge. Silly me!

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 27 August 2014 4.06pm
I guess you failed the Knowledge, TTT, and have lost your A to Z and don't take part at Orienteering.

Please explain, for this SE1'er, how you get from Temple Gardens to Bloomsbury. How would get to Kings Cross from the OXO Tower? How would you get from Kings College Stamford Street to Russel Square?

As most commuters coming from south London and working north of the river arrive at Waterloo, Blackfriars or London Bridge and Canon Street main line stations or Waterloo, Southwark and London Bridge tube stations, or bus routes on Blackfriars Road and Waterloo Road, Southwark Bridge Road and Borough High Street perhaps you can tell me how a bridge at Gabriels Wharf helps them.
A bridge every 10 meter(sic) works for Paris. Really?
Wednesday 27 August 2014 4.25pm
If you think spending 60 million of taxpayers' money on this vanity project is worth it, then please don't sign the petition.

If you think it's unnecessary given the five perfectly adequate, walkable bridges that already exist from Westminster to St Paul's/South Bank, then please sign. Thank you!

I like the idea of a garden bridge as I think another part of London would benefit more from a new tourist attraction and a desperately needed crossing. We are already overcapacity from residents and tourists - we can't really cope with any more. Have you tried walking along the South Bank lately? Almost impossible not to get caught in the heaving masses.

In answer to the question about creating more green space, I do think that this can can be created in Lambeth/another part of London without the sacrifice of blue space i.e. the Thames. As another said on this stream, look at a map and see for yourself just how busy it already is with bridges over the river here. Just because there is a chasm, doesn't mean you have to fill it (a bit like this post really).

Better places for a garden bridge: e.g. regeneration in Vauxhall-Pimlico, Bermondsey-Wapping, Greenwich-Canary Wharf or bridging Battersea to Kensington if you're going to use the argument of having something worth visiting on the each side. You won't agree with me on those but I do think you'd be mad not to see that they need it more. Look at Stratford and North Greenwich and how they've been raised in profile with their respective attractions; the proof is there.
Wednesday 27 August 2014 4.25pm
Quote:
Please explain, for this SE1'er, how you get from Temple Gardens to Bloomsbury. How would get to Kings Cross from the OXO Tower? How would you get from Kings College Stamford Street to Russel Square?
I was wondering that, too. I work in Bloomsbury and walk over Waterloo Bridge and wiggle up through Covent Garden which is much nicer than round the Aldwych and up Kingsway, I agree.

But, I cannot fathom out how walking from Temple (I mean I know how I would go) would be any nearer/quicker/more pleasant.
Wednesday 27 August 2014 4.50pm
La Martinet wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering that, too. I work in Bloomsbury and walk over Waterloo Bridge and wiggle up through Covent Garden which is much nicer than round the Aldwych and up Kingsway, I agree.

But, I cannot fathom out how walking from Temple (I mean I know how I would go) would be any nearer/quicker/more pleasant.

I work at GOSH and from starting at Blackfriars rd I could be one of the few beneficiaries of this project, but I've signed the petition on the grounds that it looks awful.
Wednesday 27 August 2014 5.29pm
What is GOSH and where is it ?
Wednesday 27 August 2014 5.36pm
Great Ormond Street Hospital, OK a bit studenty but that's what they call it :)
Wednesday 27 August 2014 5.58pm
It is not a bridge, it is a tourist attraction. It will be closed from midnight to 6am, how many other bridges get closed? It is a tourist attraction in an area that doesn't really need another attraction. I agree with another contributor; if I want to see plants and trees, I will go to one of the many green spaces in the vicinity. I would rather the money go towards enforcing new buildings to put a green roof on their buildings (Not a roof garden, this is quite different.) Many of us look down on building and most of them look a total mess because of all the 'stuff' on the roofs; not only would be it better for all of us to look down and see green spaces, it would be good for the environment. I love the design of the bridge and it would be great in a place where there is no other view to enjoy, but the Thames has lovely views and this will just block some of them.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions