London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 52
Wednesday 3 September 2014 9.24pm
A new bridge is planned for Nine Elms/Pimlico; a useful bridge connecting two parts of London in need of a pedestrian and cyclist crossing. Wandsworth say the cost will only be 40m:

http://www.nineelmslondon.com/news/wanted-architect-to-design-new-40m-thames-bridge?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Wandsworth+Borough+Council&utm_campaign=4644395_Nine+Elms+on+the+South+Bank:+September+2014&dm_i=XWH%2c2RJMZ%2cB7DQU8%2cA2B40%2c1
Wednesday 3 September 2014 9.27pm
Even less justification for the Garden Bridge? Don't forget to ask your friends and work colleagues to add their name to the petition: let's try and get 100 names at least!

http://www.change.org/p/lambeth-council-planning-david-smith-lambeth-council-put-the-garden-bridge-where-it-s-needed
Friday 5 September 2014 10.01am
I went to the exhibition on this - a bit sceptical at outset on the location as many are, from the Southbank standpoint. I spent a long time talking to the people and seeing all the designs and plans. The improvement area is predominantly on the North side at temple, which is not a very attractive part at the moment. I think it is a great in initiative and of more value, financially, usefully and aesthetically than the Air Line at Excel. Someone complained that it will be shut overnight. Would you rather have drinkers, late night party-goers etc using and abusing overnight? It will also be a good educational space, not simply a mass of steel and concrete. I am not wholly convinced on the design of the launching platform but have made my views known on that. Complaining about something purely on the basis of the noise the building of it will bring is not a valid argument.
Saturday 6 September 2014 9.52pm
Good news! We have a chance to say our piece to the Garden Bridge Trust on 17/9. Contact WCDG (admin@wcdg.org.uk) if you want to get involved and meet the OUTSIDERS who are on a mission to turn the South Bank into Disney-on-the-Thames.

OUR VOICE COUNTS! This may be the only chance we have of stopping this crazy idea. Please let's get together as neighbours and fight the rich business investors and developers. If we do nothing, it means we get construction traffic, road closures, river closures and building on the South Bank for another 4 YEARS!

Sign the petition now to let our councillors know that we mean business too:

http://www.change.org/p/lambeth-council-planning-david-smith-lambeth-council-put-the-garden-bridge-where-it-s-needed

They make the decision but they won't do it unless you say so. Thanks! Please pass this on to everyone you know.
Tuesday 9 September 2014 1.01am
This is how London might look with the Garden Bridge in the way of the magnificent iconic views from Waterloo Bridge https://twitter.com/wkc1000/status/509129400894631937.

Please sign the petition to stop this from happening - say NO to many more years of pointless construction on the South Bank. Thanks!
Tuesday 9 September 2014 3.36am
Well I for one, wont be signing any such petition - I think the Garden Bridge is a great plan, and hope it succeeds in being built.
Tuesday 9 September 2014 8.31am
Generally I don't mind private citizens building private follies on their private land with their own money but I do object to them building on public land and in public places with my money.

BowWow Boris barks up many wrong trees including island airports and cable cars but he must see this latest vanity project as somewhere he can cock his leg before cocking a snoot as he rides off into the Uxbridge sunset.
Tuesday 9 September 2014 8.45am
qwerty wrote:
This is how London might look with the Garden Bridge in the way of the magnificent iconic views from Waterloo Bridge https://twitter.com/wkc1000/status/509129400894631937.

Seriously? That picture is an unfunny joke, and you do your otherwise reasonable arguments a disservice by pointing anyone in its direction.

As for the view East from WB... It would be 'taken over' by the GB, but from a vantage point on which you might feel more inclined to linger. That's not an argument for building it, but perversely your post is.
Tuesday 9 September 2014 9.11am
Thanks for your kind comments turtmcfly; I'm not sure why you think the picture is inaccurate or in any way appealing? Some reasoned argument would be constructive and welcome. Thanks again!
Tuesday 9 September 2014 1.03pm
qwerty wrote:
Thanks for your kind comments turtmcfly; I'm not sure why you think the picture is inaccurate or in any way appealing? Some reasoned argument would be constructive and welcome. Thanks again!

No, even without the GB, that picture is not remotely appealing. It seemingly presents a London lit (im)purely by sodium lamps.

See this image for something more akin to 'reality'. Or this if you want to go the other way. Notice there are lights which have a colour other than burnt orange? In other words the person who created the image has deliberately made the view look shite before they've even started.

What's worse is they've then gone on to dump a completely unlit GB in the foreground. Lighting could make the bridge look amazing in it's own right.

Basically, this is not how London might look.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions