London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 52
Tuesday 9 September 2014 10.08pm
I wasn't complaining that the bridge was closed at night, I was merely illustrating that this structure is not really required to cross the river otherwise it would be open 24 hours like any other bridge that crosses the Thames. And anyway, has there every been any demand or petition by anyone to add yet another river crossing in this area? I very much doubt it. The more I read about this bridge, the more I want to stop it being built. Several mature trees will be chopped down to make way for the 'landing', and a large green space will be lost outside LWT too, so the green space gained is much less if you discount that which is lost. Why not just 'green up' the whole of the Southbank; much cheaper. The bridge is nothing more than an expensive tourist attraction and I think the Southbank is crowded enough. The idea of a green bridge is fantastic, but not at this cost. Of course a cheaper alternative would be to build more piers and make these into garden piers.
Wednesday 10 September 2014 1.50am
Keep the comments rolling in; always good to hear people's thoughts: even the colourful ones (erm, well, not too colourful: this is a respectable forum)...and other artist's impressions too! And please note, the view from Waterloo Bridge at night posted yesterday is only an artist's impression of what it might look like, just like all the ones that you see advertising the proposed garden bridge dished out by TFaiL or Heatherwick Studios, the architects or Arup the builders. Of course their pictures are going to look lovely: they're trying to sell it to you! AND none of their pictures give a true indication or angle of the view when you walk across Waterloo Bridge; only aerial shots! But to date, we haven't seen what it might look like at night at Waterloo Bridge level and I think this gives us a reasonable idea. The peaks of the trees at their highest point WILL obstruct St Paul's & the city; there is no doubt about that and even the GBT acknowledged this at the South Bank Forum earlier this year.

And there are no plans or mentions of it being lit which would be an even more monumental waste of money; OUR money! It isn't open to pedestrians at night anyway so why the lights? It's our electricity bill that's going to go up.

In response to the view looking west, there is no doubt that views walking along the riverside will massively blocked by the GB e.g. historic buildings like Somerset House and of course Waterloo Bridge itself which is a Grade 1 listed structure...not to mention views of Big Ben etc. the Waterloo sun won't be setting over those any more!

I remain puzzled as to why people are happy for OUR money to be spent on this random bridge when TfL, who are stumping up £30m, have closed ticket offices in tube stations, stopped cash payments on buses which forces you to buy an Oyster Card, have several roadworks outstanding including repairing potholes, pavements, etc. but then again you can't please everyone :-)
Wednesday 10 September 2014 7.39am
If this gets go ahead it will be £60 million of your money wasted on this project.Bishops Ward and particularly Waterloo desperately needs more Police Officers and if there is money to be thrown about , then let us have more visible Police.We have less local SNT Team than any other ward in Lambeth, where as we have Europes largest Rail Terminal, 2 underground stations, numerous Hotels,major tourist attractions, more licensed premises than any other ward and 3 major Theatres
Thursday 11 September 2014 12.42am
Quite right OHRA; the money from the Treasury is wasted on this Garden Bridge fairy tale. Their, sorry OUR £30million that they allocated (without asking us properly), would be better spent on all that you mention as well as repairing the financial crisis. They MUST spend taxpayers’ money more responsibly!

The £30million 'donated' by TfL is also ours; it's raised from tube fares, road taxes, government grants etc. funded by us, the taxpayer. So you may not see an immediate or obvious increase in your council tax directly from Lambeth if the Garden Bridge is built, but you WILL be affected by its costs in these ways. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

There are NO promises for the future. Who knows what will happen if the Garden Bridge Trust fails or collapses? Who picks up the tab then? Look at the Boris Bikes; Barclays have withdrawn sponsorship and we the taxpayer, are lumbered with the bill. They promised to sponsor the bikes till 2018 with a further £25million. Who do you think is paying that now? Train & bus fares are rising for a reason, no?
And who exactly is going to pay for the extra litter bins for the Garden Bridge in years to come? Litter collections? Maintenance? Policing of the new tourist attraction? You guessed it - us.

Please keep signing folks, many thanks!
http://www.change.org/p/lambeth-council-planning-david-smith-lambeth-council-put-the-garden-bridge-where-it-s-needed
Sunday 14 September 2014 5.53pm
Very interesting article in the Guardian if anyone has the tech skills to link it.
Monday 15 September 2014 6.01pm
Thank you OHRA
Tuesday 16 September 2014 1.04pm
I went onto the SB today with the express purpose of counting how many trees are likely to be felled in order build the bridge and the landing platform and I suspect that all of the trees in front of the proposed site for the building will have to go. That's 21 mature trees.
Tuesday 16 September 2014 7.13pm
I went to the exhibition today. Can anyone give me the links to comment on the planning applications for both Lambeth & Westminster or are the windows closed?

I came to the conclusion that it will be a tourist attraction but most will do a loop as there is nothing to go to on the North Bank (although it might make Temple a tourist attraction with people getting off to walk over to the south bank). As a cyclist I'll use the main bridges as by the time I've taken the lift at both ends and navigated a busy bridge full of tourists, it will be a waste of time.

The only use for Londoners I could see is that it will provide easy access to ITV & IBM workers who come into Temple. It will also create a few gardening and security jobs. The man I spoke to didn't know about the local neighbourhood plan and wasn't v.forthcoming with details of how locals could be involved in gardening or how the space under the podium at the South Bank would be used - they're putting in planning permission for community space & shops.

I was also interested in disruption while the building goes on: there are three options and only one leaves the road behind unaffected. The other two involve closing the riverside and making the safe route for cyclists (when they can't cycle on the busy riverside at peak times) unusable, so we'll have the same problem for commuters as when the works next to Blackfriars were closing the road.

Thank you!
Tuesday 16 September 2014 10.54pm
the planning application link is this:

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=N6L7ZNBO02E00

apologies to those who couldn't access it on the flyer.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions