London SE1 community website

Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 52
Wednesday 17 September 2014 12.21pm
qwerty wrote:
(goodness, am I spelling it out enough do you think folks?)

Nope, I think you have to try a bit harder - changing your tone might help, the one you're currently using makes me even less sympathetic to your cause.

I don't think the bridge will be built btw., but I still like the idea.
Wednesday 17 September 2014 1.03pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Why do you like the idea?

I can't see anything beneficial in building another large structure in that location.

If we need another bridge:
- it needs to be open 24/7
- it doesn't need to be in an area where there are loads of bridges already
- it could be built for a LOT less than the Garden Bridge

If we need another attraction for London (and I don't really think that we do. I'd rather improve current infrastructure to allow people to enjoy the existing attractions more easily):
- it doesn't need to be anywhere near the South Bank
- it probably doesn't need to be a bridge

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 17 September 2014 1.07pm
Dear Edward; once again thank you for your kind and considered contributions. (I went up a semi-quaver; a more acceptable tone I hope)
Wednesday 17 September 2014 1.14pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Why do you like the idea?

I can't see anything beneficial in building another large structure in that location.

If we need another bridge:
- it needs to be open 24/7
- it doesn't need to be in an area where there are loads of bridges already
- it could be built for a LOT less than the Garden Bridge

If we need another attraction for London (and I don't really think that we do. I'd rather improve current infrastructure to allow people to enjoy the existing attractions more easily):
- it doesn't need to be anywhere near the South Bank
- it probably doesn't need to be a bridge

Personally, because I think it would add to my list of London spots where I go to find inspiration. It's basically a park suspended over water - what's not to like. Again, frankly I think it has less chance to be approved than Scotland becoming independent.
Wednesday 17 September 2014 1.31pm
Thanks. I see what you're saying.

I suppose my objection is that it('s not needed and it) would detract from one of the areas that I go to find inspiration.

Put it over towards Vauxhall, for instance, and it might encourage me to find another part of London to enjoy. I don't need more reasons to enjoy the Southbank, and I don't think the Southbank can sustain any more buildings and footfall, so I think I'll enjoy it less if this bridge goes ahead.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 17 September 2014 1.50pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Thanks. I see what you're saying.
I suppose my objection is that it('s not needed and it) would detract from one of the areas that I go to find inspiration.

Put it over towards Vauxhall, for instance, and it might encourage me to find another part of London to enjoy. I don't need more reasons to enjoy the Southbank, and I don't think the Southbank can sustain any more buildings and footfall, so I think I'll enjoy it less if this bridge goes ahead.

Fair enough. We are fortunate in London that there are plenty of inspiring places already, and I definitely don't feel strong enough about this bridge e.g. to campaign for it. Re Vauxhall: I recently worked in Wimbledon for a while and took the train there - from an (amateur) photographer's point of view, looking out of the window there are tons of interesting spots around Vauxhall that I am hoping to look up and enjoy soon.
Wednesday 17 September 2014 7.11pm
Now a road bridge over the river at Blackwall to consign the decrepit tunnel to history would be a real advance. I may start a campaign.
Friday 19 September 2014 12.21pm
Thank you for the link to the Lambeth planning application. Does anyone have one for Westminster? Refusal by either council would stop the bridge happening...?
Friday 19 September 2014 3.38pm
If we only ever built what was needed the world would be a v dull place...

I think it would be amazing
Friday 19 September 2014 4.47pm
Add me to the "let's build it" list. I think it looks great and would add to the area, and would expect that the silent majority are strongly in favour.
Current: 8 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions