London SE1 community website

Bogus mattress sellers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 4 September 2014 11.48pm
Beware the bogus mattress sellers are doing the rounds again - Searles Road was the target this morning.
Friday 5 September 2014 8.35am
Can you tell us their modus operandi please?
Friday 5 September 2014 12.59pm
What exactly do they do?
Friday 5 September 2014 3.52pm
Jules62 wrote:
What exactly do they do?

Possibly http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/2014/02/the-rip-off-van-scam/ ?
Friday 5 September 2014 7.36pm
They will knock on your door with a van outside with a plastic "Dreams" sign on or "Beds R Us" or perhaps a plain white van, as it was on Thursday, and say they have a surplus to a delivery "brand new memory foam mattresses for 100 or less" the link given by John C is exactly how these supposed surplus mattresses are made, so buyer beware.
Friday 5 September 2014 8.05pm
This is a real menace!

If anyone here who lives in SE1 is approached by these people, send them packing and post a warning here!
Saturday 6 September 2014 12.39am
I don't know if it's connected, but I saw a van tonight parked on Whittlesey Street. On the back was an advert for the best mattresses supplied to hotels. I thought it odd that it was parked on that street in the evening, and that it wasn't near a hotel.
Saturday 6 September 2014 9.33am
Thats a new scam on ' we had a big order for a carpet and the amount was overestimated..you can have a 12 x 12 for 7O'
Sunday 7 September 2014 10.49pm
I had a gentleman offering me surplus speakers in B&Q Old Kent Road some time ago.
I asked him to follow me to the cash-point.
He was still following me at Waterloo Bridge!

Scammers 0 - SE1er 1 !

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions