London SE1 community website

10 charge for fireworks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 18 September 2014 12.56pm
JazzyQ wrote:
I predict that some will pay the 10 charge, and many others will crowd into the surrounding streets causing a problem for the long suffering residents in the area.
I agree with Karen that we could use boats and barges along the length of the river, and forget about charging.
Heard a chap on the radio from Boris' office saying that we should all watch it on the telly anyway.
Then why bother putting on a display if you don't want anyone to see it?
and there's the rub. its a tv event shown around the world as an advert for London.
Thursday 18 September 2014 2.34pm
You made me smile, boroughpaul.
Then why not repeat last year's display and save the bother of the whole thing? Telly repeats are usual.
I am going to get myself a bag of sparklers and stay at home.
Zoe
Friday 19 September 2014 6.27am
I actually don't mind the big crowds as it's only once a year and distracts me from the funk I get into at new year. I don't like the 100,000 limit, it's a good event because it's large and inclusive. We are returning to the notion of doing nothing for new year, which we all opposed as it was embarrassing for London and the whole of the UK.

The police and councils just need to plan better for the large numbers, not try to keep it small.
Friday 19 September 2014 11.10am
I don't mind the big crowds either. I am hugely inconvenienced at New Year but I don't mind one bit. We need to celebrate something in style in this country.
Friday 19 September 2014 11.21am
We always did something Zoe, it was just not advertised, I have fond memories of the snogathon that used to be Trafalgar Square at midnight NYE, I think if Norris or Ross had of been aware we could have wound up in the big book!
Friday 19 September 2014 8.32pm
I remember Trafalgar Square snogathons too :-D lets start a movement "Return to the Square"

Not sure how the whole ticket thing will work. What we supposed to do if we dont want to pay, close our eyes if in surrounding area they they are visible from?

Who actually pays for the fireworks anyway? Does it come out of Londoners taxes or private funds?
Monday 22 September 2014 12.54pm
RooRee wrote:
Who actually pays for the fireworks anyway? Does it come out of Londoners taxes or private funds?

The London tax-payer covered the cost of the fireworks in 2013. The intention was that a sponsor would cover 500k of these costs (per the Mayoral Decision), but pulled out at the last minute.

The cost of the 2013 event was 2m.
Monday 22 September 2014 2.08pm
RooRee wrote:
I remember Trafalgar Square snogathons too :-D lets start a movement "Return to the Square"
Not sure how the whole ticket thing will work. What we supposed to do if we dont want to pay, close our eyes if in surrounding area they they are visible from?

I might have you to thank for this recurring coldsore, it was all pretty unhygienic! ;)
Wednesday 17 September 2014 12.30pm
I find this quite ridiculous, but then again I can see the fireworks from my balcony.
Thursday 18 September 2014 1.37pm
The fireworks can be seen well from many public open spaces in inner London so I don't think anyone will miss out. The huge crush that it has become makes it non-inclusive for the infirm/disabled etc so I think it makes a lot of sense to make a modest charge to make it a safe, accessible event for those who want to get up close to the fireworks.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions