London SE1 community website

Refused resident's parking permit in zone C1- Bankside

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 18 September 2014 12.48pm
It is indeed unfortunately the case and somehow, incredulously, they can get away with it. Especially since the resident's bays in my area are virtually always void of actual residents, instead just confused visitors who don't notice that the sign on the other side of the road doesn't apply...

Gavin, for reference, having parking integrated into a new development is absolutely the exception rather than the rule. Probably less than 20% of new build schemes have any parking at all...
Thursday 18 September 2014 1.00pm
Thanks Gary. However, I stand by my view. in any event, if parking features so high up one's list, one should rent/buy somewhere where parking is freely available.
Thursday 18 September 2014 1.01pm
GaryWM wrote:
It is indeed unfortunately the case and somehow, incredulously, they can get away with it. Especially since the resident's bays in my area are virtually always void of actual residents, instead just confused visitors who don't notice that the sign on the other side of the road doesn't apply...
Gavin, for reference, having parking integrated into a new development is absolutely the exception rather than the rule. Probably less than 20% of new build schemes have any parking at all...

The policy is quite right too Gary - it is a terrible waste of space at ground level to put in parking in Central London/ which is the densest population in the UK with the best public transport links.
And why should existing residents who park on street (parking bays probably been there 20+ years) be flooded with competing cars from thousands of new residents trying to park in the area. It is fine in housing estates in the suburbs where there is space, but the Council are actually doing the right thing here - no public money spent on parking for private flats please.

The residents should have been told and may have a claim against the landlords/sellers if not.... but if they didn't read stuff properly it is hard to have sympathy.
Thursday 18 September 2014 1.39pm
Everyone's entitled to a car, whether you live in Central London or not. We use ours mainly for heavy shops or for trips out of London. The latter is still cheaper than train travel.
Thursday 18 September 2014 5.20pm
No one is 'entitled' to a car......
It is an largely unnecessary, expensive, polluting, congestion-causing nuisance.
Completely agree with the council.

I do have a car. Its 41 years old, does less than 800 miles a year (always out of London) and lives in an underground space I purchased with the flat in order to keep it. Its not an entitlement, but a personal interest of mine. I don't 'need' it.

Cycling, walking, public transport, that's what London is good at. There's always Zip car if you need to transport something.
Thursday 18 September 2014 6.20pm
Brendan D wrote:
No one is 'entitled' to a car.....

Well, it may be semantics, but I would say that everyone is entitled to own a car if they wish to, and are willing and able to pay the associated costs.

(I know there are significant costs related to car usage which are met from the public purse rather than directly by the car user, but that's a wider and rather different discussion.)

In my opinion though car owners in central London are not entitled to a cheap and convenient place to park their vehicle.

(I too own a car. I park it in my allocated space in the car park under our building. Before moving to my current flat, I paid to rent a space in Shad Thames, five minutes' walk away from my home. It used to cost me 90 per month.)
Zoe
Thursday 18 September 2014 6.25pm
The council rents it's garages on council estates for 18.50 a week, have a look on the website and there should be some contact details.
Thursday 18 September 2014 6.53pm
Zoe wrote:
The council rents it's garages on council estates for 18.50 a week, have a look on the website and there should be some contact details.

Kassie, if you go down this route I hope you have better luck than I did. I applied in 2011 and I'm still waiting to be offered a garage.
Thursday 18 September 2014 7.34pm
If you are a secure Southwark Council tenant, resident leaseholder or resident freeholder who pays service charges garage rent is 18.62 a week. Otherwise they are charged at a private sector rent of 27.50 a week.
Southwark garages
Thursday 18 September 2014 10.42pm
Brendan D wrote:
No one is 'entitled' to a car......
It is an largely unnecessary, expensive, polluting, congestion-causing nuisance.
Completely agree with the council.

Of course everyone is entitled to car. Whether it's unnecessary etc. is nothing more than an opinion. You say you agree with the council - are their reasons as noble as yours? Do you generally agree that it's OK for one party to decide what another party is entitled to?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions