London SE1 community website

Refused resident's parking permit in zone C1- Bankside

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Tuesday 23 September 2014 9.40am
How are parking spaces subsidised? I thought they were a resource that was revenue-neutral. Although not equitable to everyone, at least the current situation is very clear as to whether you'll get on-street parking before you rent or buy, so you get to make the choice as to where you want to live with that information.

Although it would be another way to allocate parking spaces based on how long one has lived here, we're talking a huge amount of admin & questions, which lead to more potential for confusion & unfairness:

* is it uninterrupted residency, or can you go away for a month/year and still retain your right to a parking permit?
* if you don't need a parking permit for a month/year, can you still get a permit when you need it? Or is it better to always keep a car whether you need it or not?
* what if you marry someone from out of the area? do they get to bring their car or not? do you have to be the car owner?
* if you give your car to your child, do they get to park it or do they go to the end of the waiting list?
* when do you get put on the waiting list - when you move to the area or when you request a parking spot? Can children join the list before they're 17?
* is the waiting list per-borough or per-zone? i.e. could moving across the road put you to the back of the list? or could moving from dulwich to Zone C1 give you a right to a C1 parking permit?

etc etc. I don't think any of these have an automatic right answer, so would necessarily create more debate rather than less.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions