London SE1 community website

Waitrose

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 15
Monday 3 August 2015 3.46pm
So, after all this time we are going to have a Waitrose in SE1. I can picture the scene now, it will be packed from 12.00 until 2.30ish Monday to Friday like every other supermarket in the area with staff from the local offices buying their lunch. Then with tourists wandering aimlessly around as they look for a piece of fruit to buy to take to the Tate Modern with them. Happy Days!
Monday 3 August 2015 8.36pm
I think we should campaign for an Aldi on the ground floor of the student accommodation on Hatfields because they won't sell sandwiches and silly pots of fruit.
Monday 3 August 2015 9.04pm
Karen I wrote:
I think we should campaign for an Aldi on the ground floor of the student accommodation on Hatfields because they won't sell sandwiches and silly pots of fruit.

Not been in an Aldi in some time but I can tell you that Lidl certainly sell sandwiches and pots of fruit!
Monday 3 August 2015 9.35pm
We're doomed then to lots of little supermarkets selling pre-packed stuff in plastic wrappings.
Tuesday 4 August 2015 9.49am
Spooky Soo. You make it sound Most delightful. Like a snippet from a Woody Allen film. Karen. Of course all supermarkets whatever size will stock sarnies etcetera. Marks n Sparks used stock poached salmon haven't seen them lately..Very nutritious they are too with
A decent glass of chilled white to accompany the anchovy olives mature cheddar toasted n oily tinned fish. If one wants big markets there are Morrison's etcetera down old Kent road/walworth areas so I am led to believe.... students usually appreciate sarnies also so Hatfields May be fine. Imagine once Waitrose arrive here next July they will open elsewhere nearby. The story keeps evolving absolutely change but not decay in this case. Prince Charles champagne opening for Waitrose and his organic produce

Cotswolds 12
Tuesday 4 August 2015 10.26am
And Waitrose call you "Sir And Madam" generally speaking. You are treated as VIP not some aimless piece of driftwood floating around
Monday 10 August 2015 9.09am
Hope so, is about time.
Monday 10 August 2015 12.39pm
Is that a choir of angels I hear hovering over SE1?
Tuesday 11 August 2015 3.04pm
I observe Tesco and especially Sainsbury both in The Cut most polite lately and call one "sir or madam" could it be Waitrose (JLP) concentrating their minds a bit.....even the security has sprung into life in a nice way of course. What next? Fortnum and Mason/John Lewis at Waterloo station as at St Pancras station?
Tuesday 1 December 2015 10.16pm
Well another Waitrose has opened just outside SE1, this time in Nine Elms. Waitrose seem a bit unsure about what to call it... the adverts on the ticket barriers at Kennington Station say Nine Elms, the welcome sign in the car park says Battersea and the website flits between Nine Elms, Battersea, Battersea - Nine Elms and Nine Elms in Battersea. Oh dear!

And the signage confusion continues in the car park with signs offering three hours free parking covered over with plastic, and laminated A4 signs saying two hours. Then the signage at the lifts say the car park is level B and store is level G... except in the lift it's 0 and 1. Um?

Nice shop though, with a sushi counter. Somehow manages to feel both bigger and smaller than St Katherine Docks. A big advantage is that it has Quick Check.
Current: 10 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions