London SE1 community website

Waitrose

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 15
Sunday 28 September 2014 10.27am
History of Evans Cycles from their website - apparently they moved to The Cut 1977
http://www.evanscycles.com/help/about-evans-cycles
Sunday 28 September 2014 10.54am
Thank you Sophie for such a quick response and verification, via Evans website, that I was mostly correct and haven't lost my marbles yet.
Now I must get breakfast, or have I already eaten it ?
Sunday 28 September 2014 11.58am
Sat through a long residents' meeting recently, that ran along these lines:

"We don't want a Tesco, it would be noisy, sell alcohol at all hours, attract reprobates, have big unattractive signage, there'd be trolleys left everywhere, the unwanted food would attract vermin."

"Would you feel the same about a Waitrose?"

"Oh no, a Waitrose would be lovely."

Made me laugh, once I'd recovered from the annoyance of losing over an hour of my life.
Sunday 28 September 2014 12.48pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
Good service
Quality and variety
Good service
Comes under the John Lewis group
Good service

You missed;

High prices
Pretentious
Sunday 28 September 2014 12.51pm
boroughpaul wrote:
and its NOT tesco
Indeed. That's why I liked Costcutter.
Sunday 28 September 2014 1.27pm
boroughbloke wrote:
You missed;

High prices
Pretentious

Well, special offers aside, you won't find generally low prices in any city centre shop of the express/metro/local/convenience variety.

In what way is Waitrose pretentious, specifically? I realise some people shop there in the belief that it differentiates them from the hoi polloi, but that doesn't make the shop itself pretentious.
Sunday 28 September 2014 3.19pm
boroughbloke wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:
and its NOT tesco
Indeed. That's why I liked Costcutter.

You can say anything you want about Waitrose, but they are NOT pretentious. Their only pretence is that they deliver excellent quality, which they do.
Sunday 28 September 2014 3.43pm
You all protest a little too much there.

Obviously, I touched a nerve that is associated with pretentious and indignant behaviours and thoughts.

;-)

:-D
Sunday 28 September 2014 4.16pm
Waitrose have a value range, hardly pretentious.

I was once accused of pretentious behaviour because I bought M&S dog biscuits, I had a pretentious mongrel, what can I say.
Sunday 28 September 2014 4.51pm
Indeed. Essentials. I'm not quite sure about what is 'essential' about blueberries, Parmesan, guacamole. humous..... need i go on?

And all of this at the price points of the premium ranges in their competitors.... All definitely at prices high enough to keep the riff raff out.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions