London SE1 community website

Waitrose

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 15
Sunday 28 September 2014 7.19pm
To overcome the sense of worthlessnes I experience in Waitrose when shopping there as one of the unworthy poor I do my other shopping at Aldi's and Lidl's and swan about as though the other shoppers should be delighted to have me in their company.

Or perhaps it's the low prices that make me feel so pretentious.
Sunday 28 September 2014 8.28pm
You can't buy air compressors in Waitrose, whilst Lidl continues to surprise with it's stocking policy.
Sunday 28 September 2014 8.35pm
boroughbloke wrote:
You all protest a little too much there.
Obviously, I touched a nerve that is associated with pretentious and indignant behaviours and thoughts.

;-)

:-D

I didn't protest at all, and I wasn't indignant. I am a bit now though, at your rudeness, which is not excused by a dusting of emoticons.

I just asked a simple question - which you haven't answered. Any chance you might pause the inverted snobbery for a moment and let us know in what way Waitrose (the business, not its customers) is pretentious (as distinct from expensive)?
Sunday 28 September 2014 10.52pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
let us know in what way Waitrose (the business, not its customers) is pretentious (as distinct from expensive)?

You really don't get it? You are their perfect customer! :-D
Sunday 28 September 2014 11.34pm
Waitrose in St Katherine's dock has those 3L boxes of Wyld Wood organic cider cheaper than anywhere else.
Sunday 28 September 2014 11.43pm
Appealing to the discerning alcoholic. How very Waitrose. Let me know when they start sticking cheap White Lightning.
Monday 29 September 2014 8.41am
boroughbloke wrote:
Appealing to the discerning alcoholic. How very Waitrose. Let me know when they start sticking cheap White Lightning.

Yes, that's why I like them, they make you feel classy and stylish about your alcohol consumption.
Monday 29 September 2014 9.05am
Wyld Wood organic cider?
And there was I thinking cider was made from apples.
Have I been drinking just chemical concoctions and hence the dreadful hangovers?
Monday 29 September 2014 9.43am
To be honest, I am not particularly well off, none of the clothes I wear were purchased within the last 5 years and I haven't had a haircut in 6 months, but frankly I don't care what other shoppers, Waitrose or not, think of me, especially not when I am at home happily sipping my Wyld Wood cider.

PS: it's 5.40 for 3L. It's not that much more expensive than White Lightning and definitely cheaper than the Magners etc that tastes as if it's been drunk twice.
Monday 29 September 2014 1.46pm
Waitrose pretentious?

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions