London SE1 community website

Waitrose

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 15
Sunday 2 August 2015 7.18pm
Waitrose - an example of a responsible company that treats its staff well.

You can get a free coffee every day, and a free newspaper of you spend more than a fiver

I just don't understand why any of you would not want one in SE1.
Sunday 2 August 2015 7.36pm
Floodplain wrote:
Waitrose - an example of a responsible company that treats its staff well.
You can get a free coffee every day, and a free newspaper of you spend more than a fiver

I just don't understand why any of you would not want one in SE1.

Apparently, because only "sad muppets who think there is anything special about Waitrose other than the fact it charges more for less" want one.
Monday 3 August 2015 7.31am
I bet. Kalmark. The Pharmacy made a few bob out of this Waitrose etc transaction..... Most astute!
Monday 3 August 2015 7.34am
I bet. Kalma. The Pharmacy made a few bob out of this Waitrose etc transaction..... Most astute!
Monday 3 August 2015 8.27am
Paramount wrote:
I bet. Kalma. The Pharmacy made a few bob out of this Waitrose etc transaction..... Most astute!

I'm not sure why you'd draw that conclusion. From what I can tell, they were essentially forced to move to a back street location with virtually no natural footfall. And from talking to the staff, I think it's been a tough move.
Zoe
Monday 3 August 2015 10.02am
That's been my impression too. I try to use it for everything so we don't lose it. Perhaps we could use the forum to help drum up business and perhaps we should ask the developers and the new waitrose to assist to promote it.
Monday 3 August 2015 11.13am
The Mondrian Hotel. New offices. New luxury developmentservices there. That's why new signage says. "The Pharmacy" tourists also. My God. They can't go wrong. All attractions around there. Minor injuries. And Waitrose absolutely. Won't be back street for long. Main southbank. Thorough fare
Monday 3 August 2015 11.29am
Paramount wrote:
The Mondrian Hotel. New offices. New luxury developmentservices there. That's why new signage says. "The Pharmacy" tourists also. My God. They can't go wrong. All attractions around there. Minor injuries. And Waitrose absolutely. Won't be back street for long. Main southbank. Thorough fare

The Mondrian is small tickets vs. the foot traffic (& visibility) of Stamford St.
Sea Containers offices are still empty, until at least Dec. 2015.
And tourists don't stroll on Upper Ground.
So the move to date had to have hurt them.
As for the future, luxury developments not ready for another 1-3 years (or more), and these would benefit them whether they were on Upper Ground or Stamford St.
So they've had what, 2 years of little activity and another few to go until the area is fully built up.
And Upper Ground may get a little busier, but to call it a "main Southbank thoroughfare"? It'll never be a main street for vehicle traffic and for pedestrians it'll always be a passing through street, if that. It'll still be mostly hidden to a majority of people and most tourists will be walking about 50 meters to the north, I.e., on the river walk.
I fail to see your point that they made out by moving.
Monday 3 August 2015 12.36pm
Well. They just informed me "they are too busy " to order monthly repeat prescriptions from doctors so they cannot be doing too badly. Plus there is no other chemist near. They are equidistant between London Bridge and Waterloo or Fleet Street going North. No pharmacy competition around there
Monday 3 August 2015 12.55pm
I get my repeat prescriptions delivered there, but have always ordered them from the GP myself.
Current: 9 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions