London SE1 community website

New Coffee Shop on Union Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 2 October 2014 9.57am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
What is the bigger clichè, the friendly hipster or the friendly mocking thereof?

both outshone by the hand wringing leftie cliche! ;-)
Friday 3 October 2014 5.59pm
Well I swanned in this morning in my finery of beard, ripped jeans and tat to have a decent coffee. Nice atmosphere with its exposed brickwork of what would have been someone's home, cute spot by the window, but would prefer a little less table space at the back as I can see it becoming a hot desk for locals.

On the detail front, if either gentleman is reading, I'd replace the plastic wiring conduit at the back with the steel variety as it would create a nice contrast with the red brick.
Saturday 4 October 2014 4.22pm
I also strolled along there yesterday. I wondered just who that gent was by the window, sieving his coffee through his beard, examining the trunking ! No one hustled me along,the Swedish servers were lovely to everyone.One of the owners came to chat & explain the story of the building.It's been a coffee shop before,so that's why there were leather bound tomes of audit books in the fireplace,they'd been found in the loft.Quite charming,had to resist the sherbert dabs at the counter and stick to a flavoursome latte.I also bought a bag of their coffee beans,super tasty !
Good luck to them.
Saturday 11 October 2014 3.16pm
Here, here, what a great place, enjoyable coffee, recommend the Trilby. The owner chatted with us & was very pleasant. Pleased it's off the beaten track, will be a favourite of mine now on a Saturday.
Let's support the independent shop owners.
Saturday 15 November 2014 10.43am
The hipster is dead, long live the lumbersexual.
Sunday 16 November 2014 1.05pm
Thanks EW. Wondered what lumbersexuals were, and found a gallery of pics which I am posting here

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11/14/lumbersexuals-men-sexy-beard_n_6157272.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
Sunday 16 November 2014 3.29pm
I tried Gentleman Baristas the other day. I ordered a Flat White, but they gave me a weak Latte instead....

Just saying.
Wednesday 26 November 2014 1.36pm
Tried it this morning with a friend. Not a hipster or lumbersexual in sight.
On the way there though on Union Street a very self important chap pushed me into the road so that he could rush past. I caught up with him and grabbed his arm, telling him I did not like what he had done at all, and got a great mouthful of abuse.

I needed that coffee at GB's

If I had managed to get my phone out in time there would be a picture of him up on SE1.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions