London SE1 community website

Lower Marsh Hotel

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 6 October 2014 6.34pm
I must agree with Karen on this one: that terrace IS historic and as far as I know, there's nothing wrong with the building itself. We seem to have gone straight back to the 1960s when developers just knocked everything down. I'm sure that they canot just demolish due to the nature of the terrace and the effect on the building on either side plus the 'historic-ness'must count for something.

Can we perhaps try and STOP this from happening???
Monday 6 October 2014 7.20pm
RuthNM wrote:
...that terrace IS historic ... the 'historic-ness'must count for something.

Not necessarily disagreeing, just asking: what's historic about it?
Monday 6 October 2014 7.46pm
Karen did not say the terrace was historic she said the street is.
Whoever the developers are is of no significance as the use of the plot will remain the same and it seems to me the replacement looks much better than the hotchpotch that was "Steve's" and perhaps we will see something better at street level than the awful greasy spoon that recently existed there.
Thursday 9 October 2014 11.22am
Waterloo might need a hotel because it's one of the busiest rail termini in the city and country. This building is a couple of minute's walk from the concourse.

Why can a historic building be demolished? Not all old buildings are worth keeping...

Seems to be a bog standard Victorian terrace, no original shop fronts left. Not a patch on the wonderful buildings on Borough High Street being demolished for a Premier Inn (http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7836).
Thursday 9 October 2014 12.25pm
People need to appreciate that the "locals" have grown up in this area and like whats there. Not everyone wants new buildings popping up.
Thursday 9 October 2014 8.42pm
As a local of the area I rue the destruction/alteration of some premises but welcome others . Steves definitely should be rebuilt, but Swains the corn chandlers should have remained as it was and not become a grey dentist's shop., whilst there has been no real loss, to my mind a gain, with the conversion of Cohens on the opposite corner into Greesmith's..
The Spanish Patriot becoming Lounge 34 with blacked out windows must be the grimmest looking premises on the street.
Perhaps somebody from Lambeth Council could explain their planning policies to us and tell us how such a ugly hotchpotch is allowed.
Monday 26 January 2015 10.20am
Tuesday 27 January 2015 2.55am
Thank you James. I'll have closer look at this. What was shown on the outside of the premises looked okay; I like that they seem to be restoring the brickwork. Not impressed by the modern large doors though, I think they should keep the window and doors separate like Greensmiths.
Tuesday 27 January 2015 9.01am
What's in the planning application seems a bit more radical than what was shown in the shop window, and includes the corner building to the right of Steve's

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 29 January 2015 11.04pm
Yes, I hadn't realised that they intended to demolish the whole block, I assume the frontage would remain.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions