London SE1 community website

Social Cleansing in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10
Friday 24 October 2014 5.23pm
Just received a feedback questionnaire asking about the event at City Hall. I replied honestly, saying much of what I posted here on 23rd October and suggesting a debate next time with opposing views, and going into much more depth.
Sunday 26 October 2014 8.07pm
Research Report by Stirling Ackroyd cites the Chaucer Ward in Southwark as having potential space from empty or under-used sites to create 2,290 new homes - it claims that Chaucer has the greatest potential of any ward in London.

Given that Chaucer has one of the highest densities of Council Estates in the Borough - I would have to speculate that this increase in density must - at least in part - rely on infix development within Council Estates.

This study was reported in the Evening Standard on Friday - but I cannot find the link on their website.

I did however find this new article and this article

If anyone gets hold of a copy of this report could they please share it on this thread - many thanks.
Sunday 26 October 2014 8.42pm
apologies - I meant to state 'infil development'
Sunday 26 October 2014 10.52pm
There's lots of empty spaces in all boroughs. Some are called gardens. Some are called playgrounds. We could get rid of these and build more really tall blocks of flats. Of course we'd all be bonkers in a few years time.
Sunday 26 October 2014 11.16pm
Some of these empty spaces are of course homes that are unoccupied as their owners have bought them as investments and are hoarding them. I look out of my home and see many of them in North Southwark.
Monday 27 October 2014 8.40pm
Planning Officers recently referred to open spaces on estates as 'planning leftovers'. So, unless designated with protection its all up for grabs in the future.

I hear that conversation areas will come up for review before long and therefore we can build new council home estates across large swathes of Dulwich.
Monday 27 October 2014 9.09pm
Until I manage to get hold of this Stirling Ackroyd report the following is pure speculation, however, a number of clues keep pointing to the Rockingham Estate.

This estate lies inside the Elephant and Castle opportunity area - a planning designation specifically aimed at promoting new development.

Secondly, it lies within the Chaucer Ward - possibly the largest estate in the Chaucer Ward under Southwark Council control? The Stirling Ackroyd report cites Chaucer as the ward with the greatest potential for intensification of housing development.

Thirdly, the estate is comprised of several large open areas between the blocks of varying decades in the twentieth century which are not optimised for either open space nor housing.
Monday 27 October 2014 11.03pm
Council doesn't seem to be able to answer the most basic question re: 11,000 new council homes in the North of the Borough:

Where, without demolition of existing council homes, do they think 11,000 new council homes and the accompanying 1000's of new private homes (that pay for the new council homes)will fit in the North Southwark area?

The map the produced for the first 600 features un-usued garage spaces and so on that lay on council estates.But that is only the first 600. Where on (Southwark) earth will the rest of all this homes fit?

Worrying the map also lists Coschen Estate, East Dulwich Estate and Canada Estate as sites for new homes. What does this mean?

We also have to factor in that alongside this long term programme, other private developers are buying up land in North Southwark with the intention to fill that with 100's of homes. As this happens, as more private houses arrive, the land values also continue rising. It would be impossible for Southwark to think about buying land there to build council homes.

I am all for the new council homes, but just want some clear answers on how this is going to be at all possible. The only answer so far is 'We are building 11,000 new council homes' ad inf. Yes, we got that but where exactly and how?

At the Southwark Group of Tenants Organisation meeting last Saturday, about 60 Southwark residents from all over also were highly suspicious of this plan. Cllr Richard Livingstone was there but once again could only say to the audience 'We are building 11,000 new council homes'.
Tuesday 28 October 2014 12.33am
What it means to be listed in a phase is that detailed appraisals will be progressed by the large team Southwark has working on these projects and put out for final consultation. So one, two or all three open spaces on the Canada Estate could be developed with a mix of council, affordable and private market homes. Two are green spaces and one more space is used as a car park. This carries on densely packing in new homes into the estates that Southwark owns usually disregarding origional designs which included spaces that were to be gardens for those without gardens inc children. And so what Officers have dreamt about for decades comes to pass under a so-called Labour administration. Richard is a decent fellow who is now consumed by groupthink and become a loyal cog in the machine that selects people to be elected who will follow the script which seems more and more to be authored by Officers and, in turn, fed to Officers by the private sector ventures.

How useless and hopeless some local politicians have become and no wonder other parties are gaining support.

There are now 4% MORE officers than a year ago.
Cuts of 32M+ are on the way.
One means to keep 4814 officers in pay, conditions they're used to and pension is to cannibalise our estate assets and rip the HRA off with crazy fees, costs and charges. The private partners get their share too in this bargain.
Having got away with it for years now, including mugging leaseholders annually under various administrations, so its being rolled out big time.
And the beauty for these jokers is getting voters to vote for the destruction of their own doorstep environment while others sites are excluded and protected from various development or ring fenced for market private homes.

We're heading for a densely packed future.
Tuesday 28 October 2014 11.57pm
hhrca wrote:
What it means to be listed in a phase is that detailed appraisals will be progressed by the large team Southwark has working on these projects and put out for final consultation.

Consultation without a local ballot of all residents affected on any estate is meaningless and just going through the motions. The Council very much knows this too.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions