London SE1 community website

Social Cleansing in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Wednesday 24 December 2014 1.51am
Floodplain wrote:
Research Report by Stirling Ackroyd cites the Chaucer Ward in Southwark as having potential space from empty or under-used sites to create 2,290 new homes - it claims that Chaucer has the greatest potential of any ward in London.
Given that Chaucer has one of the highest densities of Council Estates in the Borough - I would have to speculate that this increase in density must - at least in part - rely on infix development within Council Estates.

This study was reported in the Evening Standard on Friday - but I cannot find the link on their website.

I did however find this new article and this article

If anyone gets hold of a copy of this report could they please share it on this thread - many thanks.

I have scanned a copy of the report and it is available for download here:
New Build Bible - Stirling Ackroyd.
Wednesday 24 December 2014 6.51pm
Plans to infill Estates are already scoped out. What they are not doing is to show the full 11,000 because there's an election coming.

Not unrelated is statistical news that Southwark STILL has 16,207 Non-decent homes as at 1.04.2014 reported via local.gov housing stats

That is 42% of 39,029.

How many of these non-decent homes are located in Chaucer Ward? Your councillors should be finding out!

Wherever there are high costs of repair the Council will have their sliderule out. And whoever is elected there's no sign that they'll be any change in approach either.
Thursday 25 December 2014 6.34pm
Peter,

Thank-you for making this 'report' available.
Ominously there is no explanation in the document relating to where all
these thousands of new homes are going to be built. Given that the Chaucer
Ward must have one of the highest densities of council estates in SE1 - that points to only
one thing does it not? This report has the hallmark of a 'softening-up' exercise ahead of the main offensive. This only reinforces my strong suspicion that in terms of plans to demolish council housing: 'you ain't seen nothing yet'.
Thursday 25 December 2014 7.02pm
If we stand by and let further demolishment of council estates take place we are mad. All over the world companies are standing by to swoop and make billions like the hey gate destruction of people's homes.. To create Elephant park, shame on people pulling the strings behind the scenes under the guise of building more homes which never materialise for local people, which will all be sold off plan to Asian companies as in hey gate.
Tuesday 13 January 2015 9.44am
Not such a happy new year for these residents in Waltham Forest, and the article made me think that it could just as easily be Southwark.The White Elephant Park springs to mind as just one example.
Time for me to get those marching boots out, I think

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/13/families-cheated-homes-poor-labour-council-gentrification
Tuesday 13 January 2015 6.34pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Not such a happy new year for these residents in Waltham Forest, and the article made me think that it could just as easily be Southwark.The White Elephant Park springs to mind as just one example.
Time for me to get those marching boots out, I think

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/13/families-cheated-homes-poor-labour-council-gentrification

I have just signed a petition RE: the West Hendon estate, looks like much the same is happening there.
I mean, really, if it happens in places like Hendon and Waltham forest we really are talking about the social cleansing of London.
Tuesday 13 January 2015 7.59pm
At a recent meeting in Bankside, or North Southwark should I say, a chap gave me some flyers for a forthcoming march to City Hall, "The March For Homes" on Saturday 31st January 2015. Assemble 12 midday at St Mary's Churchyard, Newington Butts SE1 6SQ. The flyer mentions rent control, stopping demolition of council homes, secure tenancies, building new council homes.
You get the idea.
I go through phases of thinking that marching makes no difference whatsoever, to thinking that we need to show how we feel about this big big issue of homes for people in London on the average wage or less. It infuriates me to think that only the rich can live here, or not live here but hoard property for investment.I love SE1 and I don't want to be pushed out of my home, nor see anyone pushed out of theirs so I think I will go along and show how I feel.
Tuesday 13 January 2015 8.25pm
What is really needed here, before it's too late (as it is already for many) is that people who live in social housing, anywhere in London, have to understand that they can/will be next, it's no good having fragmented demos, we need a biggy.
Tuesday 13 January 2015 9.00pm
boroughonian wrote:
What is really needed here, before it's too late (as it is already for many) is that people who live in social housing, anywhere in London, have to understand that they can/will be next, it's no good having fragmented demos, we need a biggy.

I've never organised a demo, especially not a big one. Do you, do you know anyone that does, if only to start the ball rolling?
Tuesday 13 January 2015 9.42pm
The 'March for Homes' is planned 31.01.15 assembling midday at St. Mary's Churchyard - culminating at City Hall.

www.marchforhomes.org

It is being organised by several pressure groups across London: local ones include People's Republic of Southwark, 35% Campaign (Elephant Amenity Network).

A few off-message London Labour MPs are turning up such as Diane Abbott & John McDonnell.

I must say I am very surprised that this march has not been featured in the news or any of the SE1 forum posts. I only found out about it when a leaflet was thrust into my hand.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions