London SE1 community website

Social Cleansing in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Tuesday 13 January 2015 9.51pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
What is really needed here, before it's too late (as it is already for many) is that people who live in social housing, anywhere in London, have to understand that they can/will be next, it's no good having fragmented demos, we need a biggy.

I've never organised a demo, especially not a big one. Do you, do you know anyone that does, if only to start the ball rolling?

No mate, but if I were on twitter I would try and see what Mr Brand thought of the idea, it's going to need X factor I'm afraid.
At the very least, the people of Waltham forest together with the people of West Hendon could march together, I think that would be powerful and might wake some of us sleepers.
Tuesday 13 January 2015 9.52pm
Nowt to stop us making this "a biggy" boroughonian.
You are exactly right.
Those people today, us tomorrow.
Unless we do something.

Be keen to speak to the Abbotts and McDonnells. Makes me think of an exhibition I just went to of Ai Wei-Wei's work, with the suited and booted turning up at the earthquake disaster in 2008 for the photo call. Grinning poseurs.
A bit obvious, eh?
Tuesday 13 January 2015 9.59pm
Dianne Abbott is meant to be speaking at a public meeting on Tuesday 10th February, 7pm at Walworth Methodist Hall, 54 Camberwell Road (I think Southwark Defend Council Housing have organised this)

Many housing campaigns from across London (and beyond) are part of the Radical Housing Network http://radicalhousingnetwork.org/, more and more people are indeed waking up to the insanity of the housing situation in London, Southwark too is waking from the slumber (last year's meeting about the Aylesbury was a good example http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/hold-news/news/3568-never-trust-a-politician-again)
Wednesday 14 January 2015 12.37pm
pros wrote:
Dianne Abbott is meant to be speaking at a public meeting on Tuesday 10th February, 7pm at Walworth Methodist Hall, 54 Camberwell Road (I think Southwark Defend Council Housing have organised this)
Many housing campaigns from across London (and beyond) are part of the Radical Housing Network http://radicalhousingnetwork.org/, more and more people are indeed waking up to the insanity of the housing situation in London, Southwark too is waking from the slumber (last year's meeting about the Aylesbury was a good example http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/hold-news/news/3568-never-trust-a-politician-again)

Am now following radicalhousingnetwork on FB and Twitter, so hoping to get some inspiration from them.
Wednesday 14 January 2015 4.53pm
Wow. This just gets worse and worse.
Social housing tenants = lepers and must live in separate colonies. It appears that we lower the value of the property by merely existing. The best deal we can expect in this London of the future as envisaged by greedy developers and those who let them get away with this is that we can creep in via the "poor doors".
Well, I have had enough of this, and I am delighted to see that a number of journalists are picking these stories up night after night. Not good for my blood pressure though.
Wednesday 14 January 2015 8.30pm
'On-site affordable housing' is one of those classic British policy pretences - everybody knows that it's not going to happen - it just looks and sounds good. We must be the only country in Europe kidding ourselves that private developers are going to want to build social flats in their blocks.

I never understand why the council doesn't just charge a fixed percentage tax on the developer based on numbers of habitable rooms. This way, there wouldn't be any requirement for secret back-room Section 106 deals.

The Council could then spend the developer tax receipts on council housing.

Of course, something as simple, pragmatic, realistic and effective as this will never be allowed to happen in little old England.
Wednesday 14 January 2015 9.13pm
The greatest con has to be the word "affordable", none of us really know what it means but it's never meant "social" to me.
Wednesday 14 January 2015 9.37pm
"Affordable" ???
Well, now is your chance to find out, Boroughonian.
Pop along to this event.
Chances are that they are "affordable" to hedge funds and overseas investors, and the funny money brigade, but for thee and me, not a chance.
If I earned hundreds of thousands of pounds, then they would be affordable.
"Affordable" needs to be connected up to average pay.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=48&art_id=153227&sid=43692762&con_type=3&d_str=20150115
Thursday 15 January 2015 9.32am
dee dee wrote:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/no-social-housing-in-our-luxury-tower-block-boasts-developer-in-advert-for-greenwich-flats-9977145.html
interesting in todays evening sandard

Selling luxury apartments to foreign multimillionaires completely removes what little ethical and moral leverage you may have with native property buyers. They probably don't know some social strata are being cleanse, and if they do, they probably don't care beyond the line "no social housing". I wonder if there is any way this kind of advertising can be banned?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions