London SE1 community website

Bike 'gate' on Trinity Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Sunday 12 October 2014 5.26pm
John, I had no idea that bollards were proposed; an earlier post said the proposal was to widen the "baffle" in the existing gates. I assumed that was true.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 13 October 2014 8.12am
It would seem there may be a cover-up
'BikeGategate'
Monday 13 October 2014 9.10am
Ivanhoe wrote:
John, I had no idea that bollards were proposed; an earlier post said the proposal was to widen the "baffle" in the existing gates. I assumed that was true.
See http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s48802/Report%20Quietway%20cycling%20proposals.pdf (posted by Karen007 on Saturday) under 'Site J' -

'Trinity Street (Existing carriageway barrier to west of
Globe Street)
Due to the comments received from key cycling
group stakeholders regarding accessibility and
potential obstruction of disabled cyclists, it is
proposed that the barrier either side of the
carriageway gates on Trinity Street are removed and
replaced with bollards. This will be done
experimentally and monitored using ANPR cameras
over period of 6 months.'

Where it seems that the views of 'key cycling group stakeholders' have taken precedence over those of the reputedly all-powerful Trinity estate residents group.

(I often cycle round by Cole Street myself to avoid making a fool of myself wiggling through the gates.)
Monday 13 October 2014 11.12am
Thanks, John. Much appreciated.

Quite a confusing document. At one point it talks about widening the gap in the gate, and at another it talks about replacing with bollards.

I've just had to google disabled bicycles, as I've never heard of them, nor ever seen one on the road.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 13 October 2014 4.58pm
Maybe Trinity Square needs to be relocated to somewhere without motorised vehicles.... perhaps a different century.

Meanwhile the council is letting Harper Road rat run to get even worse (because the new E&C roundabout plan by TfL ban left turns from Newington Causeway into New Kent Road)and due to the traffic calming being 'cushions' motorbikes race through far in excess of the speed limit past schools and community centres and a park!
Monday 13 October 2014 6.08pm
Colinio wrote:
Maybe Trinity Square needs to be relocated to somewhere without motorised vehicles.... perhaps a different century.
Meanwhile the council is letting Harper Road rat run to get even worse (because the new E&C roundabout plan by TfL ban left turns from Newington Causeway into New Kent Road)and due to the traffic calming being 'cushions' motorbikes race through far in excess of the speed limit past schools and community centres and a park!

I think it's an absolute disgrace, in all my 50 years walking up and down Trinity St I have never considered it a particularly dangerous road for pedestrians, and I have never EVER seen children playing out.
Monday 13 October 2014 7.18pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Thanks, John. Much appreciated.
Quite a confusing document. At one point it talks about widening the gap in the gate, and at another it talks about replacing with bollards.

I've just had to google disabled bicycles, as I've never heard of them, nor ever seen one on the road.

I would agree Ivanhoe - a very confusing document. The original consultation paper did not ask local residents for opinions on the removal of the gate and replacement with bollards. This proposal appears to have been "slipped in" at the end of the process. How can the reports of a consultation document include a proposal that was not consulted upon?

Here's a theory (and there's no smoke without fire) - Could it be that Andrew Gilligan is applying pressure on Peter John to make his cycle route to work less "wrigglesome" by the removal of the Trinity Street gate?
Tuesday 14 October 2014 4.41pm
Surely exception would be made to a disabled cyclist using the pavement rather than defeating the objective of these gates by widen them?
Tuesday 14 October 2014 5.05pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Surely exception would be made to a disabled cyclist using the pavement rather than defeating the objective of these gates by widen them?

The pavement on one side also has barriers. Not sure how easy it would be to mount the pavement on the other side on a bike, especially if you were disabled.
Tuesday 14 October 2014 5.06pm
Believe it or not, there was a disabled cyclist years ago, Jim, sold newspapers in Great Suffolk Street. He couldn't go fully around with the pedals so would pedal half (if you know what I mean) and he used to cycle with his knee poking out to the side.

Just saying :)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions