London SE1 community website

Bike 'gate' on Trinity Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Tuesday 16 December 2014 1.00pm
Cllr Mark Williams has issued his report, giving the go ahead for the Quietway on Trinity St, with modification to the barrier and new cameras to catch motorcycles that use the cycle only access.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=50004748&Opt=0
Tuesday 6 January 2015 9.27am
The works on this have started.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 10.44am
kevinruairi wrote:
The works on this have started.

Not sure about this, kevin - the current roadworks involve digging a trench for a fibre-optic cable. Is that for the camera, or just a coincidence?

Anyway, they've managed to barrier off the whole width of the roadway and with the usual contempt for cyclists as roadusers they have put up no warning notices, no diversion via Cole Street, I couldn't even see a 'cyclists please dismount and use pavement' sign.

In fact the barriers they've erected divert cyclists straight onto the pavement on the south side, so I assume whatever idiot is in charge of planning this exercise intends cyclists to use that route. And if it's the official diversion, why should cyclist dismount if there's no notice to tell them to?
Tuesday 6 January 2015 10.50am
I have lost count of the number of time over the past 12 months that various sections of the road in this area have been dug up . . . . .
Tuesday 6 January 2015 11.19am
John C wrote:
I couldn't even see a 'cyclists please dismount and use pavement' sign.
Why would there need to be a sign? Adult cyclists shouldn't be on the pavement.

John C wrote:
In fact the barriers they've erected divert cyclists straight onto the pavement on the south side, so I assume whatever idiot is in charge of planning this exercise intends cyclists to use that route.?
Are you trying to be deliberately obtuse? The barriers close off the roadway. This doesn't mean that you have to cycle on the pavement.
John C wrote:
And if it's the official diversion, why should cyclist dismount if there's no notice to tell them to?
Er, because it's the law? Because it clearly makes sense? Because cyclists should show consideration for pedestrians, especially ON THE PAVEMENT? Because the world doesn't exist for your convenience over that of others? Can I stop now, or is it a competition?
It's attitudes like yours which give decent human beings a bad name.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 12.52pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
John C wrote:
I couldn't even see a 'cyclists please dismount and use pavement' sign.
Why would there need to be a sign? Adult cyclists shouldn't be on the pavement.
1. Because such standard signs are readily available, and are often used when works block a marked cycle track.
2. Because if this was an ordinary thoroughfare used by motor traffic there would be warning and diversion signs in place - (perhaps motorists being thick need prominent signs in simple words telling them what to do if their normal route is blocked, whereas cyclists are regarded by the highway authorities as nearly as intelligent as pedestrians and able to find their own way around).

Ivanhoe wrote:
John C wrote:
In fact the barriers they've erected divert cyclists straight onto the pavement on the south side, so I assume whatever idiot is in charge of planning this exercise intends cyclists to use that route.?
Are you trying to be deliberately obtuse? The barriers close off the roadway. This doesn't mean that you have to cycle on the pavement.
Just trying to see the other person's point of view, Ivanhoe, in this case the cyclist's. In the absence of any notice to the contrary, the barriers actively encourage a cyclist to ride on the pavement.

Ivanhoe wrote:
John C wrote:
And if it's the official diversion, why should cyclist dismount if there's no notice to tell them to?
Er, because it's the law? Because it clearly makes sense? Because cyclists should show consideration for pedestrians, especially ON THE PAVEMENT? Because the world doesn't exist for your convenience over that of others? Can I stop now, or is it a competition?
It's attitudes like yours which give decent human beings a bad name.

Er, because cyclists are just as stupid and selfish as motorists and pedestrians, neither more nor less?

'Because the world doesn't exist for your convenience over that of others.'? What has MY convenience got to do with it? I'm not on a bike, I'm not trying to get to work by cycling along the officially recommended Trinity Street route, I'm NOT cycling on the pavement.

I think you've called me 'bonkers' on this Forum before, Ivanhoe - now I'm not even a decent human being. Can I call you some names now?
Tuesday 6 January 2015 1.40pm
Feel free, John.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 1.52pm
John C wrote:
Er, because cyclists are just as stupid and selfish as motorists and pedestrians, neither more nor less?

In my experience, some cyclists, unfortunately the ones that make the difference, are disproportionately aggressive, something that pedestrians, with no vehicles to use as weapons at their disposal, can't afford. A prime example of stupid, selfish if not criminal motorists was a van driver who ignored the green pedestrian lights, nearly ran me over, didn't hear mu swearing at him, probably all because he was on his mobile during the whole incident. I still maintain that although some pedestrians can behave stupidly, they cant afford the deliberate dangerous behaviour that some cyclists and motorists seem to indulge in to relieve their frustrations.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 2.55pm
Just came past the gate. Nobody working there, but the barriers have been moved - the south half of the chicane is now just about open. Watched two cyclists wriggle through it - but it would take a circus trick cyclist on a unicycle to do it comfortably. Interesting to see what happens this evening when the commuting cyclists are heading home in the dark.

Got home to find a circular from Southwark highways department - roadworks in Trinity Street due to start NEXT week. It's addressed (of course?) to motorists, who may have to park their cars somewhere else while the road is resurfaced. Interesting they feel they have to give a week's notice for this sort of thing but can block a major commuting artery apparently without notice and without signposting a diversion (just because it's used only by cyclists?).

It couldn't surely have been beyond the wit of the highways staff to erect a sign 'Roadworks ahead; cyclists divert via Cole Street' at the Swan Street end pointing left, and one by Globe Street pointing right - and even a 'Cyclists please dismount' sign on the pavement!

Perhaps cyclists will behave more responsibly if the powers-that-be start treating them as road users, not just pedestrians on wheels.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 5.55pm
Hi all,

Some of you may have received a letter from us councillors about this already, but in case you have not, I have copied the text below.

Please do keep in touch about this, as we are keen to engage with residents and the wider community about how the changes are affecting cyclists and residents of Trinity Village.

Karl Eastham, Chaucer Labour Councillor.

Dear residents

We are pleased to let you know that your Labour councillors have secured a significant victory on the behalf of residents in Trinity Church Square and its surrounds. We have campaigned successfully for the gate on Trinity Street, installed after years of campaigning from local residents, to be retained, with additional measures to prevent motor traffic while enabling bicycles to pass.

The gates came under threat last year when plans were published for a new network of bicycle Quietways which included a route along Trinity Street and Trinity Church Square. The plans put out for consultation threatened the purpose of the Trinity gates and we, like many local residents, were concerned that the plans would allow motorbikes to once again threaten pedestrian and cyclist safety.

Your Labour councillors have campaigned on your behalf and we have managed to secure a solution which balances the need for new accessible cycle routes with the peace and safety of the neighbourhood. The gates will be widened by a minimal distance to allow accessible cycles and cargo bikes to pass, and an Automatic Number Plate Recognition camera will deter motor traffic. These have been proven extremely effective in other parts of the borough. We have also secured a review of the new arrangements after 12 months which will consider the impact on the square.

We would welcome your feedback on quality of life in Trinity Village and look forward to keeping in touch in 2015.

Claire Maugham, Vijay Luthra, Karl Eastham
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions