London SE1 community website

Bike 'gate' on Trinity Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Tuesday 6 January 2015 6.16pm
karleastham wrote:
Hi all,
Some of you may have received a letter from us councillors about this already, but in case you have not, I have copied the text below.

Please do keep in touch about this, as we are keen to engage with residents and the wider community about how the changes are affecting cyclists and residents of Trinity Village.

Karl Eastham, Chaucer Labour Councillor.

Dear residents

We are pleased to let you know that your Labour councillors have secured a significant victory on the behalf of residents in Trinity Church Square and its surrounds. We have campaigned successfully for the gate on Trinity Street, installed after years of campaigning from local residents, to be retained, with additional measures to prevent motor traffic while enabling bicycles to pass.

The gates came under threat last year when plans were published for a new network of bicycle Quietways which included a route along Trinity Street and Trinity Church Square. The plans put out for consultation threatened the purpose of the Trinity gates and we, like many local residents, were concerned that the plans would allow motorbikes to once again threaten pedestrian and cyclist safety.

Your Labour councillors have campaigned on your behalf and we have managed to secure a solution which balances the need for new accessible cycle routes with the peace and safety of the neighbourhood. The gates will be widened by a minimal distance to allow accessible cycles and cargo bikes to pass, and an Automatic Number Plate Recognition camera will deter motor traffic. These have been proven extremely effective in other parts of the borough. We have also secured a review of the new arrangements after 12 months which will consider the impact on the square.

We would welcome your feedback on quality of life in Trinity Village and look forward to keeping in touch in 2015.

Claire Maugham, Vijay Luthra, Karl Eastham
Good to know that the local Labour councillors are working so hard for resident of the villlage. Plus ša change.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 6.20pm
karleastham wrote:
Hi all,
Some of you may have received a letter from us councillors about this already, but in case you have not, I have copied the text below.

Please do keep in touch about this, as we are keen to engage with residents and the wider community about how the changes are affecting cyclists and residents of Trinity Village.

Karl Eastham, Chaucer Labour Councillor.

Thanks, Karl. Perhaps you could raise with the appropriate department my point about the absence of any warning signs or clear instructions for cyclists on avoiding the obstruction - which will presumably continue until the gates have been moved and the camera installed.
Wednesday 7 January 2015 9.34am
Ivanhoe}It's attitudes like yours which give decent human beings a bad name.[/quote wrote:

Oh I don't know... if so, you're giving him some stiff competition, at scapegoating/ being rude and intolerant.
Wednesday 7 January 2015 9.58am
Having passed through the pedestrian part of the gate with my daughter at 8.50am this morning (where there were no workmen present), I can confirm that there is a real lack of signage and this leaves cyclists no option other than to go through the pedestrian parts of the gate. 2 did so in the time I was going through the gates - not satisfactory when the road is a well known pedestrian school run.

Surely a cyclists diversion sign wouldn't have been too difficult, and getting the gate re-opened asap would be a sensible solution.

You do however have to question the logic of spending significant amounts of council money on something of little importance in the grand scheme of things. This at a time when other council services are in dire needs of funds, and the children's services budget (particularly under 5 education) has been cut to pieces.
Wednesday 7 January 2015 10.37am
TonyCap wrote:
Having passed through the pedestrian part of the gate with my daughter at 8.50am this morning (where there were no workmen present), I can confirm that there is a real lack of signage and this leaves cyclists no option other than to go through the pedestrian parts of the gate. 2 did so in the time I was going through the gates - not satisfactory when the road is a well known pedestrian school run.
It's definitely easier to go through the pedestrian bit of the gate. However, that's no justification for cycling through it when there are pedestrians trying to use it. It takes a few seconds to get off and push.

TonyCap wrote:
Surely a cyclists diversion sign wouldn't have been too difficult, and getting the gate re-opened asap would be a sensible solution.
I don't know. Do we really need signs for things that are obvious? John was suggesting a "Cyclists dismount" sign upthread, and "reasoning" that - in the absence of such a sign - cyclists were virtually being told to ride on the pavement.

I'd prefer to think that no one was sufficiently stupid to need a sign to tell them the bloomin' obvious. Otherwise, where would you stop? We already have "Hot coffee" and "Now wash your hands". I'd rather not see "Now wipe your arris"...

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 7 January 2015 10.47am
TonyCap wrote:
You do however have to question the logic of spending significant amounts of council money on something of little importance in the grand scheme of things. This at a time when other council services are in dire needs of funds, and the children's services budget (particularly under 5 education) has been cut to pieces.

I thought (but I'm sure someone will correct me) that these new cycle Quietways were being funded by money from the Mayor's office - they are certainly a Boris Johnson/Andrew Gilligan initiative. Not money that would be available to fund under-5 education in Southwark.
Wednesday 7 January 2015 2.26pm
Does it really matter who's budget it is? The point is the same, wasted money fixing something that wasn't really broken in the first place.
Wednesday 7 January 2015 8.41pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
TonyCap wrote:
It's definitely easier to go through the pedestrian bit of the gate. However, that's no justification for cycling through it when there are pedestrians trying to use it. It takes a few seconds to get off and push.

TonyCap wrote:
I don't know. Do we really need signs for things that are obvious? John was suggesting a "Cyclists dismount" sign upthread, and "reasoning" that - in the absence of such a sign - cyclists were virtually being told to ride on the pavement.

I'd prefer to think that no one was sufficiently stupid to need a sign to tell them the bloomin' obvious. Otherwise, where would you stop? We already have "Hot coffee" and "Now wash your hands". I'd rather not see "Now wipe your arris"...

Actually I would have thought it was illegal for roadworks contractors to completely block a traffic route like this without putting up warning and diversion signs. But then, as IvorKnow(all) will confirm [well you did say I could call you names] I am obtuse, bonkers and a disgrace to the human race, so what would I know?
Thursday 8 January 2015 12.35pm
If the route is quite visibly blocked by bright orange-and-hi-viz barriers, I'm rather worried about the eyesight and common sense of anyone who needs a sign to tell them about it.

Thursday 8 January 2015 12.40pm
karleastham wrote:
....concerned that the plans would allow motorbikes to once again threaten pedestrian and cyclist safety. ....
Claire Maugham, Vijay Luthra, Karl Eastham

I'd be interested to know when and how motorbikes have previously threatened pedestrian and cyclist safety in this location.

I've lived around there, and used T St as a thoroughfare for over a decade, and have never experienced this danger. Sounds like another groundless anti-biker comment to me.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions