London SE1 community website

Southwark Council giving fixed penalties to bikers in Union Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 21 October 2014 12.02am
Guy's street wrote:
They'd have been far better heading a few hundred metres east to the Borough High Street junction with Union Street and dishing out penalties to the many cyclists and motorists who skip the lights in all directions. Or a similar distance west towards the junction with Blackfriars Bridge Road where the same happens.
They'd have made a fortune and actually punished people for irresponsible behaviour rather than people falling foul of a very bad bit of street design.

Agree entirely. It is insane that buses, lorries, black cabs and other so-called professional drivers are allowed to run the red lights all over London, six at a time, while cyclists are fined on this illogical bit of cycle lane.
Tuesday 21 October 2014 12.21am
I wonder if the council has received complaints RE: this issue, wouldn't surprise me, two schools in the area and Ivanhoe's experience whilst with his small child, just a thought, there will be parents with two or three children attempting to navigate through there.
I agree that it's not very well thought out, but then I've always thought that about the cycle lane in Union st.
Tuesday 21 October 2014 6.39pm
Are we talking about those last couple of feet to the edge of Gt Suffolk St? That's ridculous. I had to go and have a look as though I rarely travel down that bit of pavement I have in the past and had never noticed the sign.
Zoe
Tuesday 21 October 2014 6.50pm
I always try to cycle legally, but that bit of pavement in Union Street infuriates me as it's so badly thought out. If they removed the lamppost with the 'cyclists dismount' sign, we'd be able to fit through without dismounting. I am now going to dismount and deliberately walk slowly and fill the pavement with my bike to get in everyone's way, just because I can be as bloody minded as the person who put that sign up (my other half will confirm this is true, ha, ha). I might even stop and play with my phone, as generally happens on the bike lane!

I hope they are going to use the 30 fines to fix Union Street where it joins Southwark Street, as repeated roadworks has left a really steep piece of road that floods at the first sign of rain, and so is horrendous to cycle through. If I have to dismount at one end of that road, I don't want to cycle through two feet of puddle at the other.
Tuesday 21 October 2014 7.50pm
It is ridiculous.
Friday 24 October 2014 10.21pm
It's either pavements, or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2AX240nIaU
Friday 24 October 2014 11.59pm
It is an utter nonsense. If they removed the cyclists dismount sign they could extend the cycle path....

IMHO the better option would be to make that bit of road pedestrians and cyclists only, its hardly ever used, and only by the odd van cutting through the back.
Saturday 25 October 2014 2.04am
Brendan D wrote:
It is an utter nonsense. If they removed the cyclists dismount sign they could extend the cycle path....
IMHO the better option would be to make that bit of road pedestrians and cyclists only, its hardly ever used, and only by the odd van cutting through the back.

To be honest, if it's mainly used by vans. i.e. trade traffic cutting through the back, which I think is true, that's a reason to keep it open. Time is money, and anything that helps them save time is beneficial. By all means remove the silly dismount sign. The cyclists going towards SBR like to jump the red lights there though, as I find out every morning on my way to Borough Tube Station, but that's a different story.
Saturday 25 October 2014 8.48am
[quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD][quote Brendan D] The cyclists going towards SBR like to jump the red lights there though, as I find out every morning on my way to Borough Tube Station, but that's a different story.[/quote]

'Some' cyclists do this. There is a particularly long pedestrian phase on all 4 lights which encourages people to filter across but probably less than 5%. Its on my route too. They tend to be mostly young lads on BMX bikes and people on Boris bikes from what I've seen. Agree its annoying though.
Saturday 25 October 2014 7.04pm
[quote Brendan D][quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD][quote Brendan D] The cyclists going towards SBR like to jump the red lights there though, as I find out every morning on my way to Borough Tube Station, but that's a different story.[/quote]

'Some' cyclists do this. There is a particularly long pedestrian phase on all 4 lights which encourages people to filter across but probably less than 5%. Its on my route too. They tend to be mostly young lads on BMX bikes and people on Boris bikes from what I've seen. Agree its annoying though.[/quote]Yes, I used "like" in order to avoid accusing every cyclist always. It was purely stylistic choice over using "some". A lovely lady stopped and smiled at me the other day, which was nice.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions