London SE1 community website

Southwark Council giving fixed penalties to bikers in Union Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Tuesday 4 November 2014 11.21pm
By the way, the Council's cycling strategy has been published for consultation at the end of October, and there is also an interactive map where cycling issues can be highlighted.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200107/transport_policy/3623/cycling_strategy
Wednesday 5 November 2014 11.02am
I'd be interested to see what the offence on the ticket is, as the fine for cycling on a pavement is 50 not 30... If they've got it wrong, appeal the ticket..!
Friday 7 November 2014 7.47am
The sign has now been changed to a Blue bordered 'compulsory' sign....
Friday 7 November 2014 7.48pm
Brendan D wrote:
Oh, so that must be what they needed the money for.
Monday 10 November 2014 4.02pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Brendan D wrote:

The "Cyclists Dismount" sign, blue and white, is advisory, and there is no red-bordered prohibition. The only thing that MIGHT be an offence is continuing on your bicycle past the END paint on the path. But that path painting is not properly legible, since there is a patch of new tarmac in the word. Half the N and half the D are obliterated!
I agree with all who have said how appalling this infrastructure is.
Wednesday 19 November 2014 1.41pm
There are now two temporary signs now blocking this cycle lane, forcing cyclists into conflict with pedestrians on one side or oncoming traffic on the other.

It's really aggravating that these things are so badly done.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 19 November 2014 3.19pm
Hugh99 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Brendan D wrote:

The "Cyclists Dismount" sign, blue and white, is advisory, and there is no red-bordered prohibition. The only thing that MIGHT be an offence is continuing on your bicycle past the END paint on the path. But that path painting is not properly legible, since there is a patch of new tarmac in the word. Half the N and half the D are obliterated!
I agree with all who have said how appalling this infrastructure is.

I was being facetious. I agree that the whole thing is a joke.
Friday 26 December 2014 1.52pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Ah. Thanks, James.
I walk down that short stretch of road regularly, with a small child. I'd never even noticed that cyclists were supposed to dismount (and had never noticed any actually dismounting).

From the POV of a pedestrian, that pavement is quite narrow. Many cyclists slow down, which seems sensible to me. Others decide that the post gets in their way (which it definitely does - stupid place to put a post!) and so they decide to cycle on the pedestrian side of the pavement, glowering at us as they pass worryingly close at unnecessary speed.

Last week, a cyclist heading West looked straight at me (heading East, walking), steered their bike into my path (i.e. onto the pedestrian side of the pavement) when we were 5 yards apart at the most, and thought playing chicken was preferable to giving way. They did ring their bell, though, which I think they thought made it all OK. Thankfully I was on my own, and could dodge out of the way.

To my mind, if the council removed the post and allowed the cycle lane to continue all the way, it would be safer for pedestrians than the present arrangement.

Of course, it would also be safer if all cyclists showed a bit of common sense. Some do, of course, but enough of them don't (which is presumably the reason why there's a sign asking them to dismount).

The council are not only anti-motorized vehicles they seem to be anti-pedestrians (which i think are greener still than cyclists). I have complained about incidents of cyclists pushing pedestrians out the way on my street and they never reply
Friday 26 December 2014 9.24pm
jon9521 wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Ah. Thanks, James.
I walk down that short stretch of road regularly, with a small child. I'd never even noticed that cyclists were supposed to dismount (and had never noticed any actually dismounting).

From the POV of a pedestrian, that pavement is quite narrow. Many cyclists slow down, which seems sensible to me. Others decide that the post gets in their way (which it definitely does - stupid place to put a post!) and so they decide to cycle on the pedestrian side of the pavement, glowering at us as they pass worryingly close at unnecessary speed.

Last week, a cyclist heading West looked straight at me (heading East, walking), steered their bike into my path (i.e. onto the pedestrian side of the pavement) when we were 5 yards apart at the most, and thought playing chicken was preferable to giving way. They did ring their bell, though, which I think they thought made it all OK. Thankfully I was on my own, and could dodge out of the way.

To my mind, if the council removed the post and allowed the cycle lane to continue all the way, it would be safer for pedestrians than the present arrangement.

Of course, it would also be safer if all cyclists showed a bit of common sense. Some do, of course, but enough of them don't (which is presumably the reason why there's a sign asking them to dismount).

The council are not only anti-motorized vehicles they seem to be anti-pedestrians (which i think are greener still than cyclists). I have complained about incidents of cyclists pushing pedestrians out the way on my street and they never reply

I think many council workers may be cyclists.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions