London SE1 community website

'Fuckoffee' Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Thursday 6 November 2014 10.42am
I'm glad that others feel the same way about this. Here's a -tweet- I made back in August "@BermStCoffee Your new shop sign is somewhat offensive. For the sake of common decency and the children on Bermondsey St. consider removing"
Thursday 6 November 2014 11.23am
To be honest, it took me a while to notice it - but, whilst it doesn't personally offend me, I can understand others being so. Rather unnecessary and rather....silly. Not particularly 'funny-silly'.
Thursday 6 November 2014 12.43pm
Just my tuppence worth, but I always liked the café since moving to Bermondsey two years ago and the name doesn't bother me. It's that old joke about 'you for coffee? No, you fuckoffee', isn't it?. It's a hipster place really, not really one for families with pushchairs. They do vegan cake and sandwiches which is great for me, and something you can't get everywhere, and, as someone mentioned before, they had those Bee Gees posters up - all very quirky and knowing/hipster. Ideally positioned for a coffee shop opposite the White Cube too with its exhibitions (sketches of Tracey Emin's va-jay-jay anyone? Gilbert & George's poo pictures etc). It's hip and has a sense of fun, I think it's a great addition to Bermondsey Street. Plus, I always get people to meet me there as it's easy to describe and they seem to like the name too. I understand how it offends some people and it would be difficult trying to explain to children that it's a rude word and they shouldn't repeat it, but surely parents have to do that all the time anyway? The streets are full of people swearing. Overall, I support the café and the name.
Thursday 6 November 2014 1.33pm
Andie Mac wrote:
quirky and knowing/hipster.

Ah those quirky, knowing hipsters, they're hilarious. I suppose you have to possess a great sense of humour, poncing around in skinny jeans and excess facial hair, resembling an anorexic Brian Blessed.
Thursday 6 November 2014 2.38pm
Yes, I suppose. But I imagine hipsters are allowed to drink coffee just like everyone else.
Thursday 6 November 2014 2.48pm
To be honest, I feel like I've just been dissed by Pieces of Eight. I'm sure I'm just reading it wrong and he/she didn't mean to come across as rude towards me or other people at all.

I don't usually comment on these sorts of forum threads and I did think, before typing, that I might be criticised for going against the consensus view on this thread. Obviously though, what I write - what anyone writes - can be picked over and commented on, poked fun at even, in some cases.

But then I thought, how could anyone be offended? It's all healthy debate and a polite airing of views. It's only my opinion and I thought I had been quite balanced. I can see how some people would find the name offensive, especially those with children, strong religious or moral views etc, but personally I find it OK and I imagine others are OK with it too. IMHO.
Thursday 6 November 2014 2.56pm
Andie Mac, I wouldn't take it personally at all. There is a perception (perhaps growing) from those who live outside the "Village" that Bermondsey Street is only populated by exactly the type of people PoE describes. To be honest, PoE's witty comment made me laugh out loud!
Thursday 6 November 2014 2.56pm
Andie Mac wrote:
To be honest, I feel like I've just been dissed by Pieces of Eight. I'm sure I'm just reading it wrong and he/she didn't mean to come across as rude towards me or other people at all.
I don't usually comment on these sorts of forum threads and I did think, before typing, that I might be criticised for going against the consensus view on this thread. Obviously though, what I write - what anyone writes - can be picked over and commented on, poked fun at even, in some cases.

But then I thought, how could anyone be offended? It's all healthy debate and a polite airing of views. It's only my opinion and I thought I had been quite balanced. I can see how some people would find the name offensive, especially those with children, strong religious or moral views etc, but personally I find it OK and I imagine others are OK with it too. IMHO.

No offence intended Andie. I personally couldn't give a rats behind what they call it. There are far more pressing problems in this world. It's just that I find "hipsters" (oh how I despise that word) so utterly annoying.
Thursday 6 November 2014 3.02pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Andie Mac wrote:
quirky and knowing/hipster.

Ah those quirky, knowing hipsters, they're hilarious. I suppose you have to possess a great sense of humour, poncing around in skinny jeans and excess facial hair, resembling an anorexic Brian Blessed.

*laughs and spits coffee out*
Thursday 6 November 2014 7.34pm
Vote with your cash. Buy your coffee and stuff somewhere else.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions