London SE1 community website

Street clutter on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 16 April 2015 4.46pm
Try with Mark Adams ([email protected]) who works for the council as a Licensing and Enforcement Officer.
Thursday 16 April 2015 11.17pm
I agree it's bad enough with various "legitimate" pavement obstructions.

Maybe it's easier if we just take matters into our own hands and remove the annoying boards ourselves.

It is a public right of way they are obstructing so maybe just collecting the obstructions and removing them to the recycling plant is the easiest way forward?
Tuesday 28 April 2015 12.23pm
Thanks, I'll try emailing the council again. I went into The Watch House yesterday afternoon and said I was going to complain to the council about the 2 boards and tables they are placing on the pavement. I was expecting that they would apologize or go and move the boards a bit but got a 'the council is fine with the boards and tables, luvv...' reply.
I would 'luvv' to remove and take everything to the recycling place but I'm quite small and could not carry 2 boards, 2 tables and 6 chairs with me :)))

We should start a campaign: PAVEMENTS FOR PEOPLE NOT FOR POSTERS!
Tuesday 28 April 2015 2.40pm
Beear wrote:
Thanks, I'll try emailing the council again. I went into The Watch House yesterday afternoon and said I was going to complain to the council about the 2 boards and tables they are placing on the pavement. I was expecting that they would apologize or go and move the boards a bit but got a 'the council is fine with the boards and tables, luvv...' reply.
I would 'luvv' to remove and take everything to the recycling place but I'm quite small and could not carry 2 boards, 2 tables and 6 chairs with me :)))

It could well be true, as Southwark Council does offer a 'Street Furniture Licence' and a Tables and Chairs Licence' to such businesses - Highway licensing
Tuesday 28 April 2015 2.40pm
There's loads of A frames on The Cut where I live. I push them out of the way if they are blocking the pavement. Lambeth council responded to my complaints, and did at least ask Delicate Cafe to stop putting more than two tables outside their premises, but they didn't really do anything about their A frame. The shop next door has four!
Tuesday 28 April 2015 2.42pm
Does street clutter include humans? The ones that stand outside pubs drinking and smoking and blocking the pavement? I had to step out and walk on the road outside the White Hart on Great Suffolk Street last Thursday early evening.
Tuesday 28 April 2015 8.36pm
Beear wrote:

Hi there,

I am the owner of The Watch House and make a point of checking the forum for feedback and firstly thanks for putting this in writing. It is quite true that last year we applied and were given a license for one A board and the chairs and tables that are in position. Being new to the great street we were just finding our feet. My apologies of the old small second board was out out by staff, I have instructed them to remove it as we are permitted one a board only.

I would be very interesting to hear your feedback face to face as to where you think it would be best to put. Obviously having nothing on the streets is not an option and to be honest it adds to the community spirit of the street. That being said it has to be moderated so I appreciate your comments again. I am on RMH@watchhousecoffee.com if you ever want to contact and also the manager is on SBG@watchhousecoffee.com.

If you are around Beear to pop in and see us both again, it would be really great.

Thanks very much

Roland
Wednesday 29 April 2015 2.11pm
I haven't found the boards or table outside the Watchhouse a problem, maybe because it's at the end of the street/on the corner and I agree it helps with the community spirit. I find it more problematic further up the street where the pavement also gets so uneven. It's also not helped by some extremely rude people barging into you.

Just yesterday I stopped on the outer side of the pavement as I wasn't going to step into the road, two people were coming towards me and the one closest to me barely moved around me but just knocked into me without a word of apology. Not sure where some people's manners have gone!!
Friday 1 May 2015 12.25pm
Dear Roland, thank for the invitation and thank you for not placing the small board near the corner. It makes a big difference.

Best
Saturday 2 May 2015 7.25am
Beear wrote:
Dear Roland, thank for the invitation and thank you for not placing the small board near the corner. It makes a big difference.
Best

No problem and thanks for taking the time to come speak to us! Next time you pass by a thank you coffee and piece of cake on me

Have a nice day

Roland
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions