London SE1 community website

Hotel GB: Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12
Saturday 15 November 2014 7.26pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
They have now come clean at lat on their website regarding not selling booze any more. There, Bermondsey Square Hotel, that wasn't too difficult was it? Just be honest with people, that's all I ask for.

You didn't really ask though, you just jumped to conclusions, acted on pure assumptions and ranted a lot on SE1. Apart from that you didn't really bring anything to the table, Halal or otherwise.
Saturday 15 November 2014 9.55pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
They have now come clean at lat on their website regarding not selling booze any more. There, Bermondsey Square Hotel, that wasn't too difficult was it? Just be honest with people, that's all I ask for.

You didn't really ask though, you just jumped to conclusions, acted on pure assumptions and ranted a lot on SE1. Apart from that you didn't really bring anything to the table, Halal or otherwise.

And what assumptions would these be Edward?
That the Bermondsey Square Hotel is phasing out booze and pork from it's offering? Is it not the fact that they are indeed doing this?
That the Bermondsey Square Hotel did not make this change clear on their website until today and were accepting online bookings (with instant payment) until August 2015 on the premise that they provided a fully stocked bar and restaurant dishes that contained pork? Is that not fact?
That by advertising facilities and services which will not be available to those customers booking (and paying instantly) for accommodation in 2015, they were being misleading and inaccurate with said advertising? Is that not fact?
It is good to see that they finally got their act together (albeit belatedly) and amended their website. I can only imagine that it is complete coincidence that they did this after the story was picked up by the national press.
I stand by what I posted on Trip Advisor. I posted this before the hotel amended their website and it was designed to make potential guests aware of the changes before they book. That's what Trip Advisor is all about. Helping people make informed choices before they book that holiday, business trip, honeymoon etc. The manager is welcome to respond to it and confirm that they have now amended their website.
Incidentally, I received a moronic, bigoted, anti-muslim private message on my Trip Advisor account. The sad thing is, I do not believe that it was written by some knuckle-dragging idiot. I believe that it was written by somebody who thinks that I will respond, agreeing fully with their nonsensical convictions, thus "exposing" me as an islamophobe. Desperate stuff.
Saturday 15 November 2014 10.21pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:

And what assumptions would these be Edward?

Mate, you didn't provide any evidence for your allegations that the now owners were being dishonest. Now that more details of the actual facts emerge, it becomes even clearer how far off the mark your claims are. The only "research" you based your assumptions on was to pretend to book a reservation through their website. Impressive investigative journalism indeed.

"The change has been communicated to customers "very adequately" and should not come as a surprise to guests turning up at the hotel.

Dishes such as roast pork belly and honey glazed sausages remain on the menu for now but the manager confirmed that pork will not be served "the other side of Christmas"

These are facts. If you'd bothered finding out the details, you wouldn't have filed your petty and , arguably, dishonest complaint(s).
Saturday 15 November 2014 10.29pm
The bar in Shortwave was doing a roaring trade tonight. Good news for them, and others, I'm sure.
Saturday 15 November 2014 10.39pm
exigo wrote:
The bar in Shortwave was doing a roaring trade tonight. Good news for them, and others, I'm sure.

So, good for local business then? I was discussing this with friends today and seriously, if the only thing that changes is no booze, no pork, people (including myself) can live with that if otherwise they provide an excellent service. Halal and alcohol-free restaurants are not that new to cosmopolitan London, and god knows I have many vegetarian friends (and some who are recovering alcoholics or just don't drink purely by choice) who regularly come to London and won't be bothered in the slightest if a restaurant doesn't serve pork or alcohol.
Saturday 15 November 2014 10.48pm
[quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD][quote Pieces of Eight][quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD][quote Pieces of Eight]They have now come clean at lat on their website regarding not selling booze any more. There, Bermondsey Square Hotel, that wasn't too difficult was it? Just be honest with people, that's all I ask for.[/quote]

You didn't really ask though, you just jumped to conclusions, acted on pure assumptions and ranted a lot on SE1. Apart from that you didn't really bring anything to the table, Halal or otherwise.[/quote]

And what assumptions would these be Edward?[/quote]

Mate, you didn't provide any evidence for your allegations that the now owners were being dishonest. Now that more details of the actual facts emerge, it becomes even clearer how far off the mark your claims are. The only "research" you based your assumptions on was to pretend to book a reservation through their website. Impressive investigative journalism
indeed.

How much more "research" does one need to do? I booked the room up to the point of confirming payment and at no point in this process was I informed of the change. I would have paid my money and THEN perhaps would have been informed of the change.
How are my claims "off the mark"? The advertising was dishonest. The fact that they have now changed it is proof that the previous incarnation of the website was inaccurate and therefore dishonest.. The only difference is, you assume that the inaccuracy of the website was as a result of a simple administrative delay, whilst I assumed it was deliberate. It is Impossible to prove either assumption.
As for my Trip Advisor post, 140 folks have found it helpful so I am pleased about that.
i cannot help but think that postings like this and of course to a much greater extent, exposure in the national press has been a catalyst for the hotel to now make it clear BEFORE somebody parts with their money, that they will no longer be serving alcohol. I wish the hotel the best of luck in the future ( I think they're going to need it!) and would suggest that the management and their P.R firm meet up to ensure that this type of thing does not happen in the future.
Saturday 15 November 2014 11.17pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
As for my Trip Advisor post, 140 folks have found it helpful so I am pleased about that.

Good for you, taking credit for something you didn't actually provide any substance to. I could kick myself for not having formulated my opinion straight away: you are being very dishonest about your role in this whole affair. You put unsubstantiated information on public forums without having done any fact-checking yourself and you take credit for something you didn't play any part in. Personally, I think you are far more dishonest than those you accuse, as well as shamelessly opportunistic.
Saturday 15 November 2014 11.39pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:

Good for you, taking credit for something you didn't actually provide any substance to. I could kick myself for not having formulated my opinion straight away: you are being very dishonest about your role in this whole affair. You put unsubstantiated information on public forums without having done any fact-checking yourself and you take credit for something you didn't play any part in. Personally, I think you are far more dishonest than those you accuse, as well as shamelessly opportunistic.

You are entitled to your opinion Edward. The Bermondsey Square Hotel is now playing by the rules when it comes to informing potential customers of a fundamental change to their business model and I for one am pleased about that.
Sunday 16 November 2014 5.24am
HWell se 1 forum. It's been a blast. I have never posted anything on a forum, never mind this one. Who knew!? :)

As I sign off my reflections on the experience.

First off,no matter what, this whole thing has been handled in a really cack handed way. Having the poor hotel staff telling customers last week that alcohol was now off the menu was awful. The pork message seems to be on a slower track ( and to be honest was the one I was always less bothered by ).

If this is the launch of a new hotel concept,rather than just a no alcohol, no pork, sharia thing it should have been well ...launched! This has been a shock to staff and customers.

And I fully accept this shock isn't on any scale a big deal to most. I know the staff are gutted. But we will all move on and more than probably most of the existing customers will walk on by. Who knows, If and when a new concept is launched it might bring a new client base to the area. That would be no bad thing. The new multi millionaire investor must have a plan...right ? My personal view in never underestimate the reactions of the local community although I am assuming it's not the local community the new approach is aimed at?

And that's what I have liked about this forum. It has invoked community discussion. A lesson learned. And I know its not an issue involving world peace. That's why I posted on the forum where you can discuss street litter and where you can find a good barber !!! :)

And I finish as I started. It was a small pleasure. But coming back from Saudi. I loved sitting in the square ,with my bottle of prosecco and great food , five minutes from my home with some lovely hotel staff. I was a big fan and as a local business man, a vocal ambassador for the place. Del Aziz here I come. ( shortwave , use your new business to get some better seating huh?)

And for those that use this forum or issue to personally attack folk. Step away from your computers, trolls. It's not big and it's not smart.

Thanks se1 forum. I love my local community just a little bit more and you have made me smile.
Sunday 16 November 2014 9.55am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion Edward. The Bermondsey Square Hotel is now playing by the rules when it comes to informing potential customers of a fundamental change to their business model and I for one am pleased about that.

You can twist and turn it as much as you like, fact remains that your version of events, from beginning to and is inaccurate and not baed on any fact that you gathered yourself, yet you seem to feel entitled to some sort of credit or righteousness and you go on public forums with your assumptions to attack an discredit a local business. That is dishonest, and therefore I feel entitled to pursue that dishonesty on this forum. Nothing t do with opinion, I just can't stand hypocrisy.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions