London SE1 community website

Hotel GB: Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12
Wednesday 12 November 2014 2.06pm
Perhaps they should swap names with a Bermondsey st coffee shop......
Wednesday 12 November 2014 2.12pm
It's all true. But the staff themselves only knew of it a couple of days ago. And they are now taking the flak from unhappy and uninformed customers

And believe me if the new investor has enough money to put into the hotel he has enough to pay for marketing. It's what he is marketing and to whom that's the question. And what on earth the current directors, who seem to be still there, were thinking about when they signed up to the deal.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 4.08pm
maurits wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:
no alcohol? no pork? no gays? no Jews? no women? all very strange

Precisely.

Well, not really.

Refusing entry to people because of their ethnicity or sexuality or gender is illegal. If this happens, I'll support any protests to the full.

Not selling alcohol (or pork, or Sunny Delight, or The Daily Mail, or whatever) is a choice that any business owner is completely entitled to make.

It might not make sense to a lot of people. It might not be a profitable strategy. But it is not illegal.

To be honest, I find the comments of the people who are crying "not in my country" and "I find it offensive that I can't get a drink and a bacon sarnie" the only potentially offensive things on here. They smack a bit of EDL-type propaganda, IMHO.

(For the avoidance of doubt, beer and bacon are two things I hold very dear. The freedom for people to follow their beliefs within the law is another. As is the freedom for a business to do choose whatever strategy they want, as long as it's within the law.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 4.33pm
Well, we have vegetarian restaurants as well, so it's not that radical. Unexpected, maybe.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 4.45pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
maurits wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:

Precisely.

Well, not really.

Refusing entry to people because of their ethnicity or sexuality or gender is illegal. If this happens, I'll support any protests to the full.

Not selling alcohol (or pork, or Sunny Delight, or The Daily Mail, or whatever) is a choice that any business owner is completely entitled to make.

It might not make sense to a lot of people. It might not be a profitable strategy. But it is not illegal.

To be honest, I find the comments of the people who are crying "not in my country" and "I find it offensive that I can't get a drink and a bacon sarnie" the only potentially offensive things on here. They smack a bit of EDL-type propaganda, IMHO.

(For the avoidance of doubt, beer and bacon are two things I hold very dear. The freedom for people to follow their beliefs within the law is another. As is the freedom for a business to do choose whatever strategy they want, as long as it's within the law.)

YOU TOOK THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH... HERE HERE!
Wednesday 12 November 2014 5.19pm
a couple of days ago they were advertising space for xmas functions ad that has disappeared now-it is not fair if people have booked in advance a stay at the hotel without knowing the change-or maybe they are contacting people? can't help thinking they will loose a hell of a lot of money
Wednesday 12 November 2014 5.21pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
maurits wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:

Precisely.

Well, not really.

Ivanhoe, you are entirely right and I stand corrected. I associated this kind of decision with religious intolerance, which indeed is not necessarily the case.
Sadly, it is often the case.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 5.21pm
Looking back I don't think I read anything about being anything being illegal.

And I agree. I rejoice in the freedom to raise a complaint about the loss of something I enjoy and see no sense in. Without being judged a racist for doing so :)
Wednesday 12 November 2014 5.26pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
maurits wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:

Precisely.

Well, not really.

Completely agree. My comment on Halal meat was regarding potential loss of business, not through any religious objection (although I'm not keen on the process myself).
Wednesday 12 November 2014 6.42pm
FWIW, I cant imagine there's any commercial success to be had with the reported strategy- but I guess we'll see.

It might be good news for Shortwave and The Marigold...

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions