London SE1 community website

Hotel GB: Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 12
Wednesday 12 November 2014 9.57pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
maurits wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:
no alcohol? no pork? no gays? no Jews? no women? all very strange

Precisely.

Well, not really.

Refusing entry to people because of their ethnicity or sexuality or gender is illegal. If this happens, I'll support any protests to the full.

Not selling alcohol (or pork, or Sunny Delight, or The Daily Mail, or whatever) is a choice that any business owner is completely entitled to make.

It might not make sense to a lot of people. It might not be a profitable strategy. But it is not illegal.

To be honest, I find the comments of the people who are crying "not in my country" and "I find it offensive that I can't get a drink and a bacon sarnie" the only potentially offensive things on here. They smack a bit of EDL-type propaganda, IMHO.

(For the avoidance of doubt, beer and bacon are two things I hold very dear. The freedom for people to follow their beliefs within the law is another. As is the freedom for a business to do choose whatever strategy they want, as long as it's within the law.)

With all due respect, I do not think any of the comments against this change are remotely like "EDL-type propaganda" but I suppose we shall have to agree to differ on that point. Now, with regards to "illegality", of course the hotel's policy change is not illegal. However, they are breaching trading standards regulations on their website by continuing to advertise that they still have a bar and that pork products are available in their restaurant. For an experiment, I went through their website booking process to get a room for Feb 2015. There is no mention at any stage of the process that they will not be able to offer some of those services and amenities that they currently advertise. This is downright dishonesty and I hope that duped guests take them for every Riyal they've got!
Wednesday 12 November 2014 10.32pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
With all due respect, I do not think any of the comments against this change are remotely like "EDL-type propaganda" but I suppose we shall have to agree to differ on that point. Now, with regards to "illegality", of course the hotel's policy change is not illegal. However, they are breaching trading standards regulations on their website by continuing to advertise that they still have a bar and that pork products are available in their restaurant. For an experiment, I went through their website booking process to get a room for Feb 2015. There is no mention at any stage of the process that they will not be able to offer some of those services and amenities that they currently advertise. This is downright dishonesty and I hope that duped guests take them for every Riyal they've got!

Oh dear, such hostility. What have they done to you to upset you so much? Also,what do they gain from this alleged dishonesty? Angry guests who they may have to compensate?
Wednesday 12 November 2014 10.52pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
With all due respect, I do not think any of the comments against this change are remotely like "EDL-type propaganda" but I suppose we shall have to agree to differ on that point. Now, with regards to "illegality", of course the hotel's policy change is not illegal. However, they are breaching trading standards regulations on their website by continuing to advertise that they still have a bar and that pork products are available in their restaurant. For an experiment, I went through their website booking process to get a room for Feb 2015. There is no mention at any stage of the process that they will not be able to offer some of those services and amenities that they currently advertise. This is downright dishonesty and I hope that duped guests take them for every Riyal they've got!

Oh dear, such hostility. What have they done to you to upset you so much? Also,what do they gain from this alleged dishonesty? Angry guests who they may have to compensate?

Blimey Edward, here we go again, first it was the hipsters, now it's the Bermondsey Square hotel's failure to come clean on it's new direction. As with said "hipsters", they have not upset me or made me hostile. This being a local forum, I was merely pointing out that a local business was not being honest with their advertising and I hope that they suffer as a consequence. I am sure that you would agree with me that any business that sets out to mislead customers should be taken to task.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 11.04pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
With all due respect, I do not think any of the comments against this change are remotely like "EDL-type propaganda" but I suppose we shall have to agree to differ on that point. Now, with regards to "illegality", of course the hotel's policy change is not illegal. However, they are breaching trading standards regulations on their website by continuing to advertise that they still have a bar and that pork products are available in their restaurant. For an experiment, I went through their website booking process to get a room for Feb 2015. There is no mention at any stage of the process that they will not be able to offer some of those services and amenities that they currently advertise. This is downright dishonesty and I hope that duped guests take them for every Riyal they've got!

Oh dear, such hostility. What have they done to you to upset you so much? Also,what do they gain from this alleged dishonesty? Angry guests who they may have to compensate?

Blimey Edward, here we go again, first it was the hipsters, now it's the Bermondsey Square hotel's failure to come clean on it's new direction. As with said "hipsters", they have not upset me or made me hostile. This being a local forum, I was merely pointing out that a local business was not being honest with their advertising and I hope that they suffer as a consequence. I am sure that you would agree with me that any business that sets out to mislead customers should be taken to task.
Well, I just wonder - you make quite a serious accusation that they breach trading standards, that they mislead customers, that they are being dishonest, and that automatically raises the question "Why?" Maybe I am missing something, but why would they do something like that? They depend on customers and on making/keeping them happy, so why mislead them? It just doesn't make sense to me. My first thought would be, oh dear, they haven't updated their website for some reason, I'll drop them a line to let them know. I definitely wouldn't hope they get taken for all the money they have unless I had a grudge against them. Hence my question what they did do to upset you. I am just trying to understand, that's all.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 11.21pm
[quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD][quote Pieces of Eight][quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD][quote Pieces of Eight]
With all due respect, I do not think any of the comments against this change are remotely like "EDL-type propaganda" but I suppose we shall have to agree to differ on that point. Now, with regards to "illegality", of course the hotel's policy change is not illegal. However, they are breaching trading standards regulations on their website by continuing to advertise that they still have a bar and that pork products are available in their restaurant. For an experiment, I went through their website booking process to get a room for Feb 2015. There is no mention at any stage of the process that they will not be able to offer some of those services and amenities that they currently advertise. This is downright dishonesty and I hope that duped guests take them for every Riyal they've got![/quote]

Oh dear, such hostility. What have they done to you to upset you so much? Also,what do they gain from this alleged dishonesty? Angry guests who they may have to compensate?[/quote

Blimey Edward, here we go again, first it was the hipsters, now it's the Bermondsey Square hotel's failure to come clean on it's new direction. As with said "hipsters", they have not upset me or made me hostile. This being a local forum, I was merely pointing out that a local business was not being honest with their advertising and I hope that they suffer as a consequence. I am sure that you would agree with me that any business that sets out to mislead customers should be taken to task.[/quote]Well, I just wonder - you make quite a serious accusation that they breach trading standards, that they mislead customers, that they are being dishonest, and that automatically raises the question "Why?" Maybe I am missing something, but why would they do something like that? They depend on customers and on making/keeping them happy, so why mislead them? It just doesn't make sense to me. My first thought would be, oh dear, they haven't updated their website for some reason, I'll drop them a line to let them know. I definitely wouldn't hope they get taken for all the money they have unless I had a grudge against them. Hence my question what they did do to upset you. I am just trying to understand, that's all.[/quote]

They have done nothing to "upset" me Edward. I shall re-iterate, it is entirely their choice as to what they do with their hotel and what clientele they wish to attract. However, when a business does something as fundamental as this, they have a duty to inform potential customers. I do not buy the "website out of date" argument The new owner has not woken up a couple of days ago and said "out with the ham and vodka". It has obviously been in the planning stages for a number of weeks so they would have had ample opportunity to update their website. Any way you slice it, they are being not telling the truth. And to repeat, I am not upset or hostile, I just don't like dishonest companies.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 11.22pm
Matters of dishonesty aside, if their staff are communicating their change of policy to customers when they visit in person, it would be a sensible and customer-friendly thing to update the website to ensure that prospective customers don't fall foul of the new rules and waste money and incur inconvenience in booking something which is materially different from the "product" they end up getting. If the website isn't accurate, they should take it down and stop taking bookings through it until it's rectified.

If you had booked and ended up with something that you didn't want as a result of their website not being updated, I can well understand that you would feel as though you've been misled, be peeved and probably want your money back.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 11.27pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
They have done nothing to "upset" me Edward. I shall re-iterate, it is entirely their choice as to what they do with their hotel and what clientele they wish to attract. However, when a business does something as fundamental as this, they have a duty to inform potential customers. I do not buy the "website out of date" argument The new owner has not woken up a couple of days ago and said "out with the ham and vodka". It has obviously been in the planning stages for a number of weeks so they would have had ample opportunity to update their website. Any way you slice it, they are being not telling the truth. And to repeat, I am not upset or hostile, I just don't like dishonest companies.

I understand, but again: why would they be dishonest about this? What's the point? Why would they deliberately mislead customers about this? What's the purpose? What are they hoping to achieve? It's a very simple question.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 11.32pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Matters of dishonesty aside, if their staff are communicating their change of policy to customers when they visit in person, it would be a sensible and customer-friendly thing to update the website to ensure that prospective customers don't fall foul of the new rules and waste money and incur inconvenience in booking something which is materially different from the "product" they end up getting. If the website isn't accurate, they should take it down and stop taking bookings through it until it's rectified.
If you had booked and ended up with something that you didn't want as a result of their website not being updated, I can well understand that you would feel as though you've been misled, be peeved and probably want your money back.

Absolutely. That's why I wonder why, as P.O.S. appears to suggest, they would do this on purpose. I love my booze and bacon, the latter especially the day after I've hd a bit too much of the former, so I'd be the first one to complain, but the last thing I would think of is that somehow for some reason they deliberately withheld such information from me.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 11.44pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
They have done nothing to "upset" me Edward. I shall re-iterate, it is entirely their choice as to what they do with their hotel and what clientele they wish to attract. However, when a business does something as fundamental as this, they have a duty to inform potential customers. I do not buy the "website out of date" argument The new owner has not woken up a couple of days ago and said "out with the ham and vodka". It has obviously been in the planning stages for a number of weeks so they would have had ample opportunity to update their website. Any way you slice it, they are being not telling the truth. And to repeat, I am not upset or hostile, I just don't like dishonest companies.

I understand, but again: why would they be dishonest about this? What's the point? Why would they deliberately mislead customers about this? What's the purpose? What are they hoping to achieve? It's a very simple question.

My suggestion would be that they want their (halal) cake and eat it. They want to still attract the same customers online and then hit them with the "no beer, no bacon" news when they rock up at reception at 9 in the evening, wanting a room, a ham sandwich and a glass of wine. Sure, a few customers will kick up a fuss, get their money back or will be offered upgrades. Loads more will simply skulk off to their rooms, complaining bitterly out of ear shot of the hotel staff. Somewhat shabby, don't you think? But this isn't just them withholding important information, they are actually advertising amenities and services they no longer have. How would you feel if you arrived at your sun-kissed hotel, looking forward to taking a dip in their advertised infinity pool, only to be told that it had been closed down but they just never got round to telling folks about it?
Thursday 13 November 2014 7.06am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
They have done nothing to "upset" me Edward. I shall re-iterate, it is entirely their choice as to what they do with their hotel and what clientele they wish to attract. However, when a business does something as fundamental as this, they have a duty to inform potential customers. I do not buy the "website out of date" argument The new owner has not woken up a couple of days ago and said "out with the ham and vodka". It has obviously been in the planning stages for a number of weeks so they would have had ample opportunity to update their website. Any way you slice it, they are being not telling the truth. And to repeat, I am not upset or hostile, I just don't like dishonest companies.

I understand, but again: why would they be dishonest about this? What's the point? Why would they deliberately mislead customers about this? What's the purpose? What are they hoping to achieve? It's a very simple question.

My suggestion would be that they want their (halal) cake and eat it. They want to still attract the same customers online and then hit them with the "no beer, no bacon" news when they rock up at reception at 9 in the evening, wanting a room, a ham sandwich and a glass of wine. Sure, a few customers will kick up a fuss, get their money back or will be offered upgrades. Loads more will simply skulk off to their rooms, complaining bitterly out of ear shot of the hotel staff. Somewhat shabby, don't you think? But this isn't just them withholding important information, they are actually advertising amenities and services they no longer have. How would you feel if you arrived at your sun-kissed hotel, looking forward to taking a dip in their advertised infinity pool, only to be told that it had been closed down but they just never got round to telling folks about it?
The best way to find out is for you to contact them and see what they say. If it is true what you say, by uncovering it you will prevent many customers from being disappointed. Besides that, I don't posting unsubstantiated accusations on a public forum is entirely kosher either.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions