London SE1 community website

Hotel GB: Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 12
Thursday 13 November 2014 7.42am
Sadly it's true. They have been contacted and it's confirmed.
Thursday 13 November 2014 8.46am
Drgreenmark2 wrote:
Sadly it's true. They have been contacted and it's confirmed.

What's been confirmed, that they deliberately didn't update their website?

Sounds like a case for Mazher Mahmood, the Fake Sheikh!
Thursday 13 November 2014 8.51am
Haven't asked about their website. Have asked about the alchohol and pork policy.
Thursday 13 November 2014 9.38am
Couldnt resist looking in the window as i passed shelves behind the bar have only 0% alcohol beer and fruit juices there were some bottle of wine on the counter but they could be being removed. They do however still have their breakfast menu up in 2 windows and plenty of pork there!
To me from what i have heard it looks like the changes are happening very quickly in a matter of days and they just havent got round to do all the changes yet.
The web test carried out by the member on the forum didnt follow through with the booking so it is quite possible that if they had they would have got an immediate email telling them of the changes and given them a chance to cancel immediately. I find the speculation of them trying to deliberate con people into booking rather amusing as its all based on if this or if that.
I think the hotel and restaurant have always struggled to make a profit so luck to them although It seems a shame as i would not have thought it would appeal to a large proportion of locals so it will be just for tourist and business people.
Thursday 13 November 2014 10.19am
with places like latakia no viable as a holiday destination maybe people are looking beyond the arab world to escape the summer heat of their countries. BBC article from a couple of years ago seems to suggest there is a market for hotels which cater for travellers from the Islamic world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19295861
Thursday 13 November 2014 11.52am
I've asked Bespoke Hotels' PR firm for a definitive statement on what's happening at Bermondsey Square. They were unaware of any change.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 13 November 2014 12.04pm
[quote Coffee]The web test carried out by the member on the forum didnt follow through with the booking so it is quite possible that if they had they would have got an immediate email telling them of the changes and given them a chance to cancel immediately./quote]

So you put in your card details, your payment gets accepted and THEN they contact you. Whereby you then cancel your booking and then have to wait and rely on them to return your payment. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense than just telling people before they book!
Thursday 13 November 2014 12.12pm
[quote Pieces of Eight][quote Coffee]The web test carried out by the member on the forum didnt follow through with the booking so it is quite possible that if they had they would have got an immediate email telling them of the changes and given them a chance to cancel immediately./quote]

So you put in your card details, your payment gets accepted and THEN they contact you. Whereby you then cancel your booking and then have to wait and rely on them to return your payment. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense than just telling people before they book![/quote]

I agree. Giving them a quick call or popping by would be a much quicker way to find out what's going on.
Thursday 13 November 2014 12.14pm
As someone who has recently moved from SE1, but who still travels back on a regular basis, I know this hotel well, and it would have been on my list of potential places to stay. Having confirmed directly with the hotel earlier this week that the alleged claims are true (they did indeed confirm), I have left it until today to act. A formal complaint has been lodged with the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority), and I have notified the hotel. This has nothing to do with "victimising" the new owners - it is now their hotel, and they are free to do with it whatever they wish. What is not acceptable is for this policy to be implemented before the website is updated. The website still has a very extensive pork based breakfast menu prominently advertised, and lists numerous glowing testimonies from national publications which heavily reference the "cool cocktail bar", naming well known bands to illustrate its appeal. As someone who could have fallen foul of this, I felt I needed to act. Any updates, I will of course post.
Thursday 13 November 2014 12.23pm
Bankside Otter wrote:
As someone who has recently moved from SE1, but who still travels back on a regular basis, I know this hotel well, and it would have been on my list of potential places to stay. Having confirmed directly with the hotel earlier this week that the alleged claims are true (they did indeed confirm), I have left it until today to act. A formal complaint has been lodged with the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority), and I have notified the hotel. This has nothing to do with "victimising" the new owners - it is now their hotel, and they are free to do with it whatever they wish. What is not acceptable is for this policy to be implemented before the website is updated. The website still has a very extensive pork based breakfast menu prominently advertised, and lists numerous glowing testimonies from national publications which heavily reference the "cool cocktail bar", naming well known bands to illustrate its appeal. As someone who could have fallen foul of this, I felt I needed to act. Any updates, I will of course post.

Precisely what I was getting at. I have absolutely nothing against who they are and what they wish to do with their premises. Let's stop being so "sensitive" to this issue because of the new owners religious affiliations. Dishonest advertising is dishonest advertising, regardless of whether the owner is a muslim, Christian, bhuddist or bleeding jedi!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions