London SE1 community website

Hotel GB: Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 12
Thursday 13 November 2014 12.29pm
[quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD][quote Pieces of Eight][quote Coffee]The web test carried out by the member on the forum didnt follow through with the booking so it is quite possible that if they had they would have got an immediate email telling them of the changes and given them a chance to cancel immediately./quote]

So you put in your card details, your payment gets accepted and THEN they contact you. Whereby you then cancel your booking and then have to wait and rely on them to return your payment. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense than just telling people before they book![/quote]

I agree. Giving them a quick call or popping by would be a much quicker way to find out what's going on.[/quote]

You still don't get it Edward do you? In these modern times, people book their hotels online and do not have any contact with the hotel until they rock up at reception. Someone booking in Bosie, Idaho is not going to "ring up or pop by". They will assume that the advertising on the website is a true and fair description of what the hotel offers.
Thursday 13 November 2014 12.36pm
[quote Pieces of Eight][/quote]

Precisely what I was getting at. I have absolutely nothing against who they are and what they wish to do with their premises. Let's stop being so "sensitive" to this issue because of the new owners religious affiliations. Dishonest advertising is dishonest advertising, regardless of whether the owner is a muslim, Christian, bhuddist or bleeding jedi![/quote]

I trust you don't mean me by being sensitive about any religious affiliations. I am sensitive about people making unsubstantiated, potentially damaging allegations about a business. No one has actually walked straight in there or otherwise contacted them to ask why they haven't updated their website yet, have they, and now you have people running to ASA and complaining. Has anyone actually walked in there, ordered a pint and nagners and mash and been told "No"?Is this really how petty we have become?
Thursday 13 November 2014 12.49pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
You still don't get it Edward do you? In these modern times, people book their hotels online and do not have any contact with the hotel until they rock up at reception. Someone booking in Bosie, Idaho is not going to "ring up or pop by". They will assume that the advertising on the website is a true and fair description of what the hotel offers.

I am talking about you, POS. If this matters so much to you, you could have called them or popped by. With your response/evidence you could have updated us on SE1, left a note on Tripadvisor, contacted ASA etc etc. Even if you were right, you didn't know because your accusations are based purely on assumptions.

Now, James's post regarding Bespoke PR not knowing anything about this is interesting.
Thursday 13 November 2014 12.53pm
That's all been done Edward. Hotel called, staff spoken too, trip adviser noted ( twice). Policy verified, discussion group updated.
Thursday 13 November 2014 12.57pm
EW - As I now live 200 mile away from the hotel, "walking in" is not an option. Hence I phoned them, spoke to the manager, asked specific questions about the menu and bar, and received confirmation that despite their websites claims, they have changed there policies. I have not "gone running" to the ASA - I have approached them via their website to raise a complaint formally to address exactly the issues they are there to deal with. (I did mention this in my original post). Please PM me if you have a problem with my approach, as sniping on a forum against individuals actions seems unproductive.
Thursday 13 November 2014 1.04pm
Drgreenmark2 wrote:
That's all been done Edward. Hotel called, staff spoken too, trip adviser noted ( twice). Policy verified, discussion group updated.

So, did they tell you why they haven't informed anyone? That is the only real issue as far as I am concerned, whether as POS alleges, it is deliberate dishonesty and misleading of customers, anything that justifies accusing them on a public forum or going to ASA, or whether people engage in the petty undermining of a business with unsubstantiated allegations. So far I don't think anyone has actually been able to confirm that the lack of information is deliberate dishonesty.
Thursday 13 November 2014 1.26pm
I'd hazard a guess (and that's all it is), that if they are affiliated to Bespoke Hotels in some way, their website is probably managed by Bespoke Hotels or some other web/PR firm (which James suggested).

I expect the website hasn't been updated because the people who manage the website haven't been informed of the changes, or just haven't made their way to the top of the 'to-do' list yet.

That's all speculation though - of course it 'could' be that the new owners are trying to trick everyone into booking a hog roast.
Thursday 13 November 2014 1.40pm
Well, if ASA will pursue the complaint made, I am sure we will hear all about it. All this has given me a huge appetite for a lunchtime bangers and mash and a lovely pint.

Cheers
Thursday 13 November 2014 4.22pm
I have a booking there this weekend for a friend - I called & asked what compensation would be given for the facility advertised at the time of booking being taken away - they said there would be none. They said bacon & sausages were still being served at the moment but would be being phased out. Interestingly the investor owns another hotel run on this basis so I'm guessing it's unlikely to change. I have informed some colleagues who spend a lot of money there every year who are now in the process of cancelling all their reservations. I'm not sure this is a good business move in this particular part of London
Thursday 13 November 2014 4.47pm
sarahse1 wrote:
I have a booking there this weekend for a friend - I called & asked what compensation would be given for the facility advertised at the time of booking being taken away - they said there would be none. They said bacon & sausages were still being served at the moment but would be being phased out. Interestingly the investor owns another hotel run on this basis so I'm guessing it's unlikely to change. I have informed some colleagues who spend a lot of money there every year who are now in the process of cancelling all their reservations. I'm not sure this is a good business move in this particular part of London

Thank you, for what is probably the most informed post on the subject. I agree that it may not be a good business move but at the end of the day they can do whatever they want as long as they don't rip people off.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions