London SE1 community website

Hotel GB: Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 7 of 12
Thursday 13 November 2014 4.58pm
Or discriminate in the provision of services.

If it is going down a certain path maybe they may have other things they might not like to do. Just playing devil's advocate here but if due to certain preferences by an owner to run his (or her) business in a certain way maybe, as an example, if 2 gay men turned up with their booking and they were not welcome further controversy could be forthcoming.
Thursday 13 November 2014 5.25pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
sarahse1 wrote:
I have a booking there this weekend for a friend - I called & asked what compensation would be given for the facility advertised at the time of booking being taken away - they said there would be none. They said bacon & sausages were still being served at the moment but would be being phased out. Interestingly the investor owns another hotel run on this basis so I'm guessing it's unlikely to change. I have informed some colleagues who spend a lot of money there every year who are now in the process of cancelling all their reservations. I'm not sure this is a good business move in this particular part of London

Thank you, for what is probably the most informed post on the subject. I agree that it may not be a good business move but at the end of the day they can do whatever they want as long as they don't rip people off.

But SarahSE1 would have been none the wiser if this had not been flagged up on here. The hotel in question should be providing this information up front.
Thursday 13 November 2014 6.53pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
sarahse1 wrote:
I have a booking there this weekend for a friend - I called & asked what compensation would be given for the facility advertised at the time of booking being taken away - they said there would be none. They said bacon & sausages were still being served at the moment but would be being phased out. Interestingly the investor owns another hotel run on this basis so I'm guessing it's unlikely to change. I have informed some colleagues who spend a lot of money there every year who are now in the process of cancelling all their reservations. I'm not sure this is a good business move in this particular part of London

Thank you, for what is probably the most informed post on the subject. I agree that it may not be a good business move but at the end of the day they can do whatever they want as long as they don't rip people off.

But SarahSE1 would have been none the wiser if this had not been flagged up on here. The hotel in question should be providing this information up front.

So, why didn't you do as SarahSE1 and call GB Bermondsey to check first, instead of deciding it was more important to make unsubstantiated accusations on here?
Thursday 13 November 2014 7.07pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
The hotel in question should be providing this information up front.

Since they are still serving pork and alcohol, they still are "up front".
All this seems to have happened quite fast (as takeovers often do). Transitions, website updates etc can take a few days. I wouldn't be surprised if before the "phasing out" starts, customers who have bookings that will be affected by the transition will be notified. Those who have booked online will have left an email address. It takes less than 30 mins to set up an email to all these people and make them aware. Maybe the phasing out will not even affect current bookings, but customers who book for the time after the phasing out has commenced will be informed when making their booking. There are plenty of CRM systems that can do al this at the click of a button. Anyway, if you still think they were being dishonest, why not complain to the ASA as well?
Thursday 13 November 2014 7.46pm
So someone takes over an establishment with little regard for the previous clientele, now where have I heard that before?
Thursday 13 November 2014 8.43pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:

All this seems to have happened quite fast (as takeovers often do). Transitions, website updates etc can take a few days. I wouldn't be surprised if before the "phasing out" starts, customers who have bookings that will be affected by the transition will be notified. Those who have booked online will have left an email address. It takes less than 30 mins to set up an email to all these people and make them aware. Maybe the phasing out will not even affect current bookings, but customers who book for the time after the phasing out has commenced will be informed when making their booking. There are plenty of CRM systems that can do al this at the click of a button. Anyway, if you still think they were being dishonest, why not complain to the ASA as well?

I already have. Apologies in advance for my "pettiness".
Thursday 13 November 2014 8.53pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:

I already have. Apologies in advance for my "pettiness".

Oh, don't apologise to me, it's not my business that's affected by it.
Thursday 13 November 2014 10.26pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:

They're taking online bookings (as in, pay via credit card) up to August 2015. That's some phasing out process!
Thursday 13 November 2014 10.48pm
This must be one of the most bizarre and intriguing threads on here!

Quite interested to know whether just the hotel lease was reassigned or sold as part of the sale of the whole square. Saw something about the hotel being for sale a few years ago, shortly after the awful reality TV show but this is from June this year:

http://www.boutiquehotelier.com/606-bermondsey-square-up-for-sale/

However, looking at this....

http://search.knightfrank.co.uk/cpd192161

The brochure is quite interesting as it shows the tenants and their rental terms - and if the whole site is under new ownership, will they try and implement their beer/bacon policy further? That would be a challenge!

At 33m, maybe the owner isn't worried about losing money or could it be a USP that could work, certainly unique. Wouldn't have thought it's in the right area for the target audience.
Thursday 13 November 2014 11.03pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
They're taking online bookings (as in, pay via credit card) up to August 2015. That's some phasing out process!

LOL! What is it you're complaining about now? That the phasing out is not going fast enough? Give them a ring and talk to them about it.

Anyway, I am done with this storm in a tea cup.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 7 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions