London SE1 community website

Hotel GB: Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 8 of 12
Thursday 13 November 2014 11.11pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
They're taking online bookings (as in, pay via credit card) up to August 2015. That's some phasing out process!

LOL! What is it you're complaining about now? That the phasing out is not going fast enough? Give them a ring and talk to them about it.

Anyway, I am done with this storm in a tea cup.

Oh don't go Edward, nothing wrong with the cut and thrust of healthy debate!
Thursday 13 November 2014 11.18pm
It makes me feel uncomfortable because I am a big EDL racist. Of course it isn't that. It is the fact this is the first time I have experienced organised religion changing the policy of a local business in our community square. Yes it is up to the owner but it makes feel uncomfortable that it is a religion that is intolerant to gay people and women. The investor works in the hotel trade so he will know all about the Beverley Hills Hotel Boycott.

When the owner hosts a big camp cross dressing Christmas party sing a long where we are all welcome then perhaps my uncomfortableness will prove unfounded.
Thursday 13 November 2014 11.40pm
Julia7239 wrote:
It makes me feel uncomfortable because I am a big EDL racist.

And I am OK with it because I am an ISIS apologist! But seriously, I know what you mean and it would be interesting to find out what their policy on gay people is and if they are as strict as the christian couple who turned away that gay couple from their B&B. I wonder if there is a policy/law in London/the UK whereby a place like that, whether it is owned by muslims or not, would be allowed e.g. to ban gay couples.
Thursday 13 November 2014 11.57pm
Julia, please can I have an invite? ;0)
Thursday 13 November 2014 11.58pm
Ed, thankfully no one is allowed to discriminate on such grounds. It has been legislated against and there has been case law - well publicised too - where people have sued and won damages. Any establishment operating such a "policy" would be breaking the law.
Friday 14 November 2014 12.03am
And I am not ok with it because I am writing this post in Riyadh where I see first hand what it's like to live in a land where no pork and alcohol are just the tip of the iceberg.

But this is a Muslim land. I choose to accept the lifestyle here

What I don't like is that I genuinely loved going to the Bermondsey sq hotel ( which is 5 minutes from my London home ) to have great food with great wine watching the world go by. Believe me it's bloody wonderful to sit in Bermondsey square watching Bermondsey St life in all its wonder stroll past. That's what I feel sad about. It was an important part of my cultural life at home. I like alcohol. I am not going to go there are drink iced tea with my meal as I do here.

And not only that I have friends who work there who are now frankly shitting themselves that they are going to lose their jobs. They are forced to explain the unexplainable and can see their customer base disappearing in front of their eyes.

That's why I started this post !
Friday 14 November 2014 7.09am
Drgreenmark2 wrote:
And I am not ok with it because I am writing this post in Riyadh where I see first hand what it's like to live in a land where no pork and alcohol are just the tip of the iceberg.
But this is a Muslim land. I choose to accept the lifestyle here

What I don't like is that I genuinely loved going to the Bermondsey sq hotel ( which is 5 minutes from my London home ) to have great food with great wine watching the world go by. Believe me it's bloody wonderful to sit in Bermondsey square watching Bermondsey St life in all its wonder stroll past. That's what I feel sad about. It was an important part of my cultural life at home. I like alcohol. I am not going to go there are drink iced tea with my meal as I do here.

And not only that I have friends who work there who are now frankly shitting themselves that they are going to lose their jobs. They are forced to explain the unexplainable and can see their customer base disappearing in front of their eyes.

That's why I started this post !
Many in SE1 could argue that the gentrification of SE1, the treatment of the tenants of the Heygate estate etc have caused to lose more than judt part of their cultural life. People on SE1 speak about social cleansing, being forced out of an area where some have lived for generations They have lost more or at ar risk of losing more than sitting in a bar drinking a glass of wine. They haven't lost this to halal hotel owners, but to the greed of developers etc.
Friday 14 November 2014 7.17am
As one of those who moved in 6 years ago I am probably guilty as charged. I like to think I have brought something to the community. But that's for others to judge. I love living and working here and personally I feel it's a great community.

But the focus of my post was specific to the changes made to the hotel and my personal dismay.

There are lots of politicians who can work through your points. I am not one of them ( thankfully !)
Friday 14 November 2014 8.35am
Drgreenmark2 wrote:
There are lots of politicians who can work through your points.

Yes. As you can tell from this site, there are many on here who engage with them.
Friday 14 November 2014 11.47am
Drgreenmark2 wrote:
Believe me it's bloody wonderful to sit in Bermondsey square watching Bermondsey St life in all its wonder stroll past
Drgreenmark2 wrote:
As one of those who moved in 6 years ago I am probably guilty as charged. I like to think I have brought something to the community

So when you moved here Bermondsey Square was still a parking lot, yet you blame a hotel owner of spoiling it, that doesn't make any sense. One thing you have surely brought to the community are your bigoted ideas.

Within a one minute walk from the hotel doors there are plenty pub/bar/supermarkets where you can buy booze, and several places where one can eat pork, what is the point of criticising a business because they chose a different strategy, if not hate for their religion?
To all others who posted complaints about the new policy: The next time you wake up in the morning with an hangover-produced headache (caused by your de-hydrated, shrinking brain pulling the membranes which bond it to your skull) and you try to fix it by eating a heart-clogging bacon sandwich (yuk), try to think that there are people out there who enjoy a healthier diet!
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 8 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions