London SE1 community website

Blackfriars abortion clinic controversy reaches Parliament

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 14
Tuesday 9 December 2014 12.16pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Zoe they are talking about it on LBC again, would you like your counter protest promoted a little?

Wouldn't promoting it be a little counter-productive? Surprise is the best tactic in my opinion (although they might be monitoring SE1 - Don't tell them your name, Pike!)

Yes, I thought better of it.
Zoe
Tuesday 9 December 2014 12.21pm
We held off for a long time as I agree Edward, we don't want to make the situation more unpleasant. However, it's clear they aren't going away and I deeply object to them filming people (and some people who have spoken with them have found they were being filmed against their knowledge).

I don't think there is an easy answer, but what you walk past is what you accept and I am not willing to accept being hassled on the way to the doctor. Demonstrate outside parliament, not against private individuals.

We can also see how things have developed in America and we don't want that happening here.
Tuesday 9 December 2014 12.43pm
Zoe wrote:
We held off for a long time as I agree Edward, we don't want to make the situation more unpleasant. However, it's clear they aren't going away and I deeply object to them filming people (and some people who have spoken with them have found they were being filmed against their knowledge).
I don't think there is an easy answer, but what you walk past is what you accept and I am not willing to accept being hassled on the way to the doctor. Demonstrate outside parliament, not against private individuals.

We can also see how things have developed in America and we don't want that happening here.

Good luck tomorrow!
Tuesday 9 December 2014 1.28pm
If anyone is wondering why they might want to film people, it's so they can ID the person filmed so as to potentially hassle them in the future, there were some unbelievable stories on LBC last night, people being followed to work and "outed" as a person that has used the service, in front of colleagues. Just a heads up to the people going there tomorrow, they would probably view you lot as more the enemy than people using the service, fake moustaches?
Wednesday 10 December 2014 5.07pm
Why is it that whenever there is a protest outside an abortion clinic, there are lots of men telling women what they can and cant do with their bodies? Like its got anything to do with them in the first place...
Wednesday 10 December 2014 5.16pm
Well done the wonderful woman who arrived before us and, unsupported by anyone, defended every woman's right to make a decisions about their own body. She can be seen on the Channel 4 website. It seems that the Abort64 protestor's only argument was that if we find the picture offensive, we should find the deed offensive. How immature and shallow. Thank you to everyone who came out on such a cold day and I hope others will join us if they come back.
Wednesday 10 December 2014 5.32pm
amazing woman, here's the link to the channel4 piece http://www.channel4.com/news/abortion-clinic-protests-buffer-zone-london-video
Wednesday 10 December 2014 5.46pm
I've just read James's article about the counter-demonstration and I'm a bit annoyed by what BPAS had to say. I understand that our counter-demonstration did draw more attention to the actions of Abort64, but I'm not sure what else we could do to let these people know that we don't like what they are doing. They've said they will carry on coming to the clinic; do we just let them? I would welcome some comments because I would not want to make it worse for any woman who needs to go to the clinic.
Wednesday 10 December 2014 8.21pm
Karen I wrote:
I've just read James's article about the counter-demonstration and I'm a bit annoyed by what BPAS had to say. I understand that our counter-demonstration did draw more attention to the actions of Abort64, but I'm not sure what else we could do to let these people know that we don't like what they are doing. They've said they will carry on coming to the clinic; do we just let them? I would welcome some comments because I would not want to make it worse for any woman who needs to go to the clinic.

I genuinely don't know what the answer is. How do you counter amoral behaviour without also resorting to amoral behaviour? These people won't be reasoned with. Rather than demonstrating, maybe offering women who are visiting the practice protection?
Wednesday 10 December 2014 9.10pm
The spokeswoman for BPAS also seemed already to have given up in the Channel4 News interview, by saying they might have to stop offering the service at this location. Shame if the well-meaning counter-protest has led her to want to give up so easily.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions