London SE1 community website

Blackfriars abortion clinic controversy reaches Parliament

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 14
Monday 15 December 2014 2.38pm
Paramount wrote:
BMP should have consulted with patients before proceeding with BPAS clincs hosting
Could have avoided a lot of ill-feeling and confusion amongst people.

How much ill-feeling and confusion is there exactly? How many people are we talking about?
Monday 15 December 2014 2.59pm
I might turn up Wednesday and stand in the middle of the two protesting groups, It's kind of how I feel. I agree with all of the sentiments on his thread and have indeed signed the anti petition, but I can't get it out of my head that if was Abort63, I wouldn't be here and neither would my children (obviously).

I'm too confused to comment any further:)
Monday 15 December 2014 3.37pm
boroughonian wrote:
I might turn up Wednesday and stand in the middle of the two protesting groups, It's kind of how I feel. I agree with all of the sentiments on his thread and have indeed signed the anti petition, but I can't get it out of my head that if was Abort63, I wouldn't be here and neither would my children (obviously).
I'm too confused to comment any further:)

To be honest, one reason I think I should stay away is that I get too aggressive/confrontational. I love the Independent headline that asks something along the lines of "Is this the most polite counter-protest ever?" and I wouldn't want to ruin that.
Monday 15 December 2014 7.26pm
Well I don't know what to do about Wednesday. BPAS don't want Abort67 there, and I don't think they want us there because they think it gives Abort67 too much publicity. The publicity we got was not courted by the way; the media were there when we arrived - presumably they were expecting action because of the video clip that went viral. Personally, I'm in favour of one last anti-demo with everyone just holding placards saying GO AWAY and having no communication with Abort67 whatsoever. Abort67 could be there indefinitely - because some of them are employees and that is their job - and we could just end up with a silly stand off. After that, I think we nag and nag and lobby for legislation for buffer zones to be created.
Monday 15 December 2014 10.02pm
Karen I wrote:
Well I don't know what to do about Wednesday. BPAS don't want Abort67 there, and I don't think they want us there because they think it gives Abort67 too much publicity. The publicity we got was not courted by the way; the media were there when we arrived - presumably they were expecting action because of the video clip that went viral. Personally, I'm in favour of one last anti-demo with everyone just holding placards saying GO AWAY and having no communication with Abort67 whatsoever. Abort67 could be there indefinitely - because some of them are employees and that is their job - and we could just end up with a silly stand off. After that, I think we nag and nag and lobby for legislation for buffer zones to be created.

Is it an option to speak to BPAS about it? Apart from that, I like the silent GO AWAY action.
Tuesday 16 December 2014 12.02am
The small group that organised last weeks activity have agreed to meet again on Wednesday. Placards saying GO AWAY. No interaction with Abort67 whatsoever. Unless posted to the contrary, meet at 1pm. The group will meet in the new year to discuss further action if required.
Tuesday 16 December 2014 12.13am
We should wash our hands of the whole business.... The Bmp is in the wrong by not allowing patients a vote. I suspect in the new year BPAS will go elsewhere otherwise some patients of a few years standing may go elsewhere as can't stand the vitriol aroused by this issue.o
Tuesday 16 December 2014 7.07am
Paramount wrote:
We should wash our hands of the whole business.... The Bmp is in the wrong by not allowing patients a vote.

That is your opinion, to which of course you are entitled. Just like anti-abortionists are entitled to theirs. I agree with the ladies on here that it is THEIR choice, but what I question are Abort67's methods, which cross a line and their motives, which don't think are in anyone's interest except theirs. I wonder how many of the BMPs patients object to BPAS being on the premises. I don't, to me it makes sense.
Tuesday 16 December 2014 9.09am
We were never consulted as to our feelings on this issue. We should not assume anything but put it to the community projects at least the gp community including the long suffering receptionists etc.....

Some have got bit hot under the collar. A time of reflection and consideration for and healing is now required and peace especially at this time of the season. Lets all sing carols. Happy Christmas
Tuesday 16 December 2014 9.36am
Paramount, GP surgeries are run as businesses. The partners of a given surgery have the right to run it how they see fit, so long as they do so within the parameters of the law. I fail to see how "longstanding patients" are inconvenienced by the BPAS presence - uncomfortable with the Abort67 presence I can well understand - but of course there are many other GP surgeries in the borough and if you feel that strongly perhaps changing might be for the best. Is your issue with Abort67 being outside or the mere fact of BPAS using the surgery?

Well done, Karen et al, on your continuing peaceful protest. The panacea of course for all concerned, including Paramount, is that abort67 clear off after Christmas, obviating the need for any form of protest.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions