London SE1 community website

Mature trees chopped down

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 3 December 2014 2.38pm
Pops wrote:
St George's Road is the same, just stubs like by the Garden Row crossing. Such a shame

And like Gray Street. All the young trees along the south side (about six of them) were demolished by various builders' lorries during the construction of the Hilton hotel on Waterloo Road. Then Southwark Council just came along and tidied the stubs and pits up so you would never know trees were ever there. (Could be Lambeth there but makes no difference.)

Why were the builders not made to replace them and make good?

Makes me very angry!
Wednesday 3 December 2014 6.07pm
Are you sure those trees on Gray Street were destroyed by builders vehicles? I'm not sure whether it is the same road, but one lost all its trees a year ago when we had that bad weather.
Thursday 4 December 2014 12.25pm
Pretty sure, Karen.

I saw a skip lorry take two out when trying to get in and out of the site one day. The ones towards the Stage Door end just mysteriously disappeared.

Several years ago I watched as a skip lorry took out a very mature plane tree just behind where I live. It broke my heart but the driver couldn't give a monkey's
Thursday 4 December 2014 7.39pm
I know that at least three near the Stage Door pub came down in that bad wind. I don't doubt though that contractors are responsible for the others. Most of the broken pavements around the area can be blamed on vehicles either delivering to shops or delivering to building sites.
Thursday 4 December 2014 11.13pm
I've never tried it myself but I think you can ask the council to put a "preservation order" on mature trees or trees that are important to an open space or community. I found this link on Southwark Council's website: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/505/trees/557/tree_preservation_orders
Might be worth looking into if anyone is worried about any other trees being chopped down in the area.
Friday 5 December 2014 1.43am
Sarah V wrote:
I've never tried it myself but I think you can ask the council to put a "preservation order" on mature trees or trees that are important to an open space or community. I found this link on Southwark Council's website: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/505/trees/557/tree_preservation_orders Might be worth looking into if anyone is worried about any other trees being chopped down in the area.

Theoretically yes.
In Southwark, no.

Ask them how many trees have preservation orders on.
Ask them how many trees got cut down last year.
Ask them how many trees are going to be cut down this year.

Answers will come there none.

Soithwark just kill trees.
Thats all folks.

I have tried myself to stop them in the long past but developers money is all that counts round here.
That does not make it right and DON'T be like me and give up, take it to the wire and make a change!
Friday 5 December 2014 8.53am
Don't forget lend lease is going to plant 1200 trees to make up for the 1200 homes they pinched on the Heygate!
Monday 8 December 2014 11.52am
There is a sign up about it and it says that the trees were felled to protect the retaining wall that holds the entire road up.

The pavement with these trees in runs along the top of the structural wall that holds the road from falling into the basements of the Guinness Trust buildings. It's a fairly narrow pavement and huge trees (they would often have a root radius of maybe 10 metres but here they get about 50cm !!) and there are big cracks visible in the concrete.. so they were always on borrowed time.
Tuesday 16 December 2014 9.58pm
If only some councillors could pay attention to what is happening to Leathermarket-Guy St green space. As well as the tree felling, it looks as though plans to build a 8 and a half storey tower between Leathermarket Gardens and Guy St Park will go ahead. I've tried to get some action to stop this but it looks as though someone has decided to build 30 new dwellings between the two gardens and will push through plans come what may. These dwellings could easily be accommodated elsewhere on Kipling Estate. Totally mindless management.
Friday 19 December 2014 7.01am
Where is the proposed development between Leathermarket Gardens and Guy St Park to be sited? Is it a redevelopment of an existing building in Weston St?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions